Richmond's Canal Walk

theriverpirate

Don't you remember I told you I sent two e-mails last year suggesting that as well as checking out the fountain flow and dressing those damned flag polls? Enola Gay (or whatever her first name) never even acknowledged them.

Sit down for this Burt... the fountains are already dry! Poles still naked...

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sit down for this Burt... the fountains are already dry! Poles still naked...

No surprise, Cam. That's exactly what I expected I'd see in October. How can people who are interested in spiffing up downtown ignore these features? Maybe the naked poles at the foot of 5th Street and dry fountain at 7th and Tredegar don't fall under Venture Richmond's province, but they would have enough influence to urge whoever is responsible to amend their ways.!!!!

• 2 months later...

Hundreds of fish die when canal is drained for repairs to a burried sewer line. There is a picture in this story from today's inRich illustrating what the canal looks like when it's empty. Now's the time to clean it up and rake out the mess. If any work has been done on an extension of the canal walk, it is very minor and hardly noticeable.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...12-13-0184.html

If any work has been done on an extension of the canal walk, it is very minor and hardly noticeable.

http://www.virginiacapitaltrail.org/

"The Richmond riverfront portion is on the ground!

"The asphalt is down the length of the floodwall, and it is beautiful! Take a peek through the doors at the end of the Canal Walk, or meander east where the Trail will exit under the train trestle, and look inside. You’ll see that the Virginia Capital Trail is on the ground in Richmond. Landscaping for this section is due to begin in the Spring, which is when the next phase--under the train trestle--will begin construction. Progress is a beautiful thing!"

From the photo it looks like it's paved from the end of the Canal Walk (17th and Dock) to where the Flood Wall crosses Dock St (East of 18th St.).

Thanks for this web site, blake. It does look terrific. I'm anxious for work and planting to get under way beneath the CSX trestle. And it would be great if an actual wharf could be built out a few feet over the water from the canal bank between 17th Street and The Great Ship Lock. When and if the rail bridge is repaired, boats could line the wharf. (Ship Shops? :good:)

Man I really can't wait till the portion underneath the trestle is completed. With all the great stuff happening along Tobacco Row, that area along Canal Street really stands out like a sore thumb with the weeds and litter. Yet another piece in the puzzle will be put into place. How far to the east is this first portion going to go?

I imagine the first phase will extends to the end of the trestle at Great Shiplock Park. East from there is the Echo Harbor property, then the city marina, the Rockett's Landing.

Wikipedia says the USS Zuni drafts 15.3 feet. I guess that's a little much for the canal.

I imagine the first phase will extends to the end of the trestle at Great Shiplock Park. East from there is the Echo Harbor property, then the city marina, the Rockett's Landing.

Wikipedia says the USS Zuni drafts 15.3 feet. I guess that's a little much for the canal.

Yep. The canal's too shallow for the Zuni; but that's not to say smaller vessels could not negotiate the present water depth and line up at a wharf east of 17th Street.

Echo Harbour's dock would be ideal for The Zuni since its dock and promenade will be open to the public as well as bike riders on the Capital Trail.

Speaking of marinas and such, has anyone noticed that The Town of Tree Hill will NOT have a marina?

Yep. The canal's too shallow for the Zuni; but that's not to say smaller vessels could not negotiate the present water depth and line up at a wharf east of 17th Street.

Echo Harbour's dock would be ideal for The Zuni since its dock and promenade will be open to the public as well as bike riders on the Capital Trail.

Speaking of marinas and such, has anyone noticed that The Town of Tree Hill will NOT have a marina?

Also, the Zuni (Tamaroa), at 205 feet, is too long to get thru the Great Ship Lock.

She would be a wonderful sight dockside at either the City marina or Echo Harbour.

Also, the Zuni (Tamaroa), at 205 feet, is too long to get thru the Great Ship Lock.

She would be a wonderful sight dockside at either the City marina or Echo Harbour.

It would be an even better sight with 40 story Echo Towers overshadowing it :)

• 4 weeks later...

This morning I noticed a rail repair crew working on the bridge the crosses the canal into Great Ship Lock Park. Are those tracks even used?

Those tracks do have signs of use, though infrequent by the looks of it. Judging by that bridge, you would think they were inactive.

This morning I noticed a rail repair crew working on the bridge the crosses the canal into Great Ship Lock Park. Are those tracks even used?

Wouldn't it be great if they repaired the bascule bridge that prevents use of the canal by boats that could access the Great Ship Lock.

j_c, I believe I am correct in saying that at least two Norfolk/Southern trains use the bridge daily. It is the line to West Point where pulp is loaded on and off rail cars from the big paper plant on the Pamunkey River.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm told they are working on spotlighting the flags at night as well...

I suspect Venture Richmond finally got this done. Last October at the National Folk Festival I made a point of stopping at every information booth and pointing out the naked flag poles. To a person, they all agreed that it was shameful to see them bare. To whomever is responsible, my humble thanks. Now, keep an eye out on all those dry fountains and get them squirting on a permanent basis. :P

Curses! You've beat me again!

God I wish this site wasn't so overbearing to my computer. It took me over 5 minutes to view this thread. Ok right now it froze again while writing this. At the moment I'm typing and no words are appearing on the secreen. They'll show up just before I'm ready to post.

I am bummed about that and I am sure even if gas became dirt cheap, none of the prices that went up because gas was up would come down. Busniesses are greedy like that. I guess we're going to go back to candle and oil lamps. Use electricty for essential things, you know like the refrigerator and of course the tv and computer!

• 5 weeks later...

Traffic is up slightly from last year on the Canal Boat tours according to a story from today's inRich.

Unless there is some valid reason, such as insurance restrictions or other impediments, I don't understand why Venture Richmond does not operate the boats until about 10 p.m. In its first year of operation evening tours were available and the city looks quite different after nightfall.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...07-28-0099.html

Archived