Richmond's Canal Walk

theriverpirate

I am bummed about that and I am sure even if gas became dirt cheap, none of the prices that went up because gas was up would come down. Busniesses are greedy like that. I guess we're going to go back to candle and oil lamps. Use electricty for essential things, you know like the refrigerator and of course the tv and computer!

Dominion is a regulated utility and I promise you that if their fuel costs went down, your electricity bill would go down since the fuel is an itemized portion of your bill. There is a big team of folks at the State Corporation Commission that audits things like claimed fuel costs of public utilities.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if I have them uploaded, but I walked the pipe from the floodwall in front of Riverside to Brown's Island. It's a lonely, sometimes a little scary walk. I think I showed Tommy some of those pics after I took them, but that set isn't up. Also Burt, your flags are still up minus one. I don't know why one is missing.

The RIchmond one is missing. I guess they had to take it back to the other place it flies. :rolleyes:

I don't know if I have them uploaded, but I walked the pipe from the floodwall in front of Riverside to Brown's Island. It's a lonely, sometimes a little scary walk. I think I showed Tommy some of those pics after I took them, but that set isn't up. Also Burt, your flags are still up minus one. I don't know why one is missing.

The RIchmond one is missing. I guess they had to take it back to the other place it flies. :rolleyes:

Betcha someone stole it in the dark of night. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Writer Will Jones of the Times Dispatch has an article on the "work in progress" development of the Canal Walk.

Nine years after the Canal Walk opened with great hoopla it is still struggling to find its niche. But there is a lot of enthusiasm about the turn around since the opening of Vistas on the James, Toads Place and Southern RR Deli.

From today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...09-22-0132.html

Writer Will Jones of the Times Dispatch has an article on the "work in progress" development of the Canal Walk.

Nine years after the Canal Walk opened with great hoopla it is still struggling to find its niche. But there is a lot of enthusiasm about the turn around since the opening of Vistas on the James, Toads Place and Southern RR Deli.

From today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...09-22-0132.html

I didn't realize it took so long for San Antonio to get theirs going. Considering that fact, I think Richmond's Canal Walk is doing very well. I've definitely noticed more bustle through there especially in the evenings with shows at Toad's Place and bar hoppers going to Blackfinn. It's a bit late for this season but they really should consider night time canal cruises perhaps serving wine/beer on the trip.

I didn't realize it took so long for San Antonio to get theirs going. Considering that fact, I think Richmond's Canal Walk is doing very well. I've definitely noticed more bustle through there especially in the evenings with shows at Toad's Place and bar hoppers going to Blackfinn. It's a bit late for this season but they really should consider night time canal cruises perhaps serving wine/beer on the trip.

It didn't take that long in San Antonio, ric75. I was there in the early 1970's on a tour and the canal walk was teeming with activity. I don't know where they come up with that 20 to 25 year theory about how long it took San Antonio to become noted for it's canal walk.

I've been lobbying for night boat tours. Odd part is that they were offered at the beginning, and the trip at night is considerably more interesting than the day-time cruise, IMO.

Wonder if Toad's will get a replacement for a Florida based restaurant with the word "flats" in its name which had announced it was moving into the second level overlooking the canal?

It didn't take that long in San Antonio, ric75. I was there in the early 1970's on a tour and the canal walk was teeming with activity. I don't know where they come up with that 20 to 25 year theory about how long it took San Antonio to become noted for it's canal walk.

Yeah, that number is totally bogus! When the canal first opened, the city said that it took San Antonio only 10 years to become what it is today! Those liars! They just put 20-25 years into this article to justify why Richmond's canal walk has taken so long to develop! I remember distintively how they said that Richmond's canal walk would be bustling in just 10 years. That time has come and gone and only a few projects have developed. I hate when they change statistics to justify the reason why things didn't turn out the way they had hoped.

...And why hasn't the extension to the east been done yet?! That will probably take another 20-25 years to build and to develop too.

An interesting read on the history of the Riverwalk in San Antonio... appears that it took more than 10 years to develop vibrancy after all.

This link starts in 1900 and others follow or precede it:

http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/Rive...y/history3.aspx

True. But local canal walk spokespeople would have us believe its vibrancy is relatively new. I'll bet after that 1st restaurant opened in 1946 on the San Antonio River rapid development followed in a way that has not occurred in Richmond.

Well I think the Canal Walk can hardly realize its potential without Reynolds relocating its manufacturing center which dominates a key portion. It makes ROTJ even more of an island than it already is, creates some sketchy poorly lit areas, and makes the upper canal feel detached from the lower. We can point fingers at public officials or whomever forever, but it just won't happen when so much prime real estate is consumed by a manufacturing plant. If you look at trends over the past 10 years it's impressive... think of the hundreds of new residents living in the River District/Canal Walk area, the new/rehabbed buidings housing offices (and now a fortune 500 company), retail options like La Diff and the dining options that were non-existent, a live music venue. The area has momentum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This video/photo essay isn't really about the Canal Walk, but the Pipeline parallels it.

http://www.discoverrichmond.com/dis/sports...s_walkway/1663/

For those of you who can access video on your computers, this is another Discover Richmond pictorial gem from Phil Riggan at inRich.

Again Burt, you are the man. Thanks for all your support over the years. I appreciate all the kind words you have said about me on this website.

I used to work for Media General and the inRich.com, TimesDispatch.com and DiscoverRichmond.com websites. Fun times, but I was laid off and now I'm looking for work.

• 8 months later...

Venture Richmond has just issued a release with picture showing a canoeist paddling in the Haxall Canal near MWV and Fed Reserve. I hope that is a new policy by Venture Richmond to allow boaters to use the waterway.

The purpose of the release was to advise that between 7:30 am and 9:00am on Thursday, July 16th there will be a free discussion led by speaker Ethan Kent of The Project for Public Spaces. He will suggest key steps for creating great waterfronts. His company, PPS in New York City, has worked on waterfront projects in Providence, Washington, Cleveland and Melbourne, Australia.

It will take place at Plant Zero, 0 East 4th at Hull Street in Manchester and the public is invited. FREE.

• 4 weeks later...

Work on the extension east is well underway. I was surprised to see that yesterday...

It's difficult to imagine what the extension will look like when completed. I suppose The Capital Trail is a big component. Does it run beneath the rail trestle? I read that CSX and the City are combining forces to suspend a sort of device to prevent debris from falling on people under the trestle.

It's difficult to imagine what the extension will look like when completed. I suppose The Capital Trail is a big component. Does it run beneath the rail trestle? I read that CSX and the City are combining forces to suspend a sort of device to prevent debris from falling on people under the trestle.

That's what they're doing. However... I'm worried about the trestle itself... I can't stand to be on Dock while a train is racing me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Venture Richmond announces the ribbon-cutting ceremony for a downtown section of the Virginia Capital Trail westward from Great Ship Lock.

It will take place next Thursday, December 17th at 11:45AM at The Great Ship Lock parking lot. Speakers will include Governor Kaine, Mayor Jones, Jim Beamer and Brenton Halsey.

For information and pictures of the trail, go to:

http://www.virginiacapitaltrail.net

Archived