Richmond's Canal Walk

theriverpirate

maybe byrd st will connect above the existing locks (under the expressway) to Va st. yours is a good plan, but will require locks downhill to haxall. I still like going thru the parking lot and the cut in the wall. and I LUV a boat lift. :)

maybe byrd st will connect above the existing locks (under the expressway) to Va st. yours is a good plan, but will require locks downhill to haxall. I still like going thru the parking lot and the cut in the wall. and I LUV a boat lift. :)

I hurt. gotta stop using right hand for a while. :cry:

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That parking lot IS Byrd St. Dropping the canal a little south and through that opening to Haxall would be better than using the original locks. New locks would need to be created but the land is not that steep there. Then someone has to smack sense into Ethyl so it won't sit on a dry canal bed and connect it with Haxall along 5th and Dominion may need reorient stuff so we can use the original canal from Tuckahoe Island all the way down.

Badabing Badaboom

The Canal Walk

Canal cuisine may become the next big thing as restaurants and nightclubs set up

A few highlights...

At least three restaurants, a gourmet deli and a nightclub are set to open by the end of spring along the 1.3-mile serpentine park in downtown.

In the coming weeks, the Southern Railway Deli is expected to open on the first floor of the Southern Railway building. It is part of the Turning Basin building between 14th and Virginia streets.

In the spring, two restaurants are scheduled to open at Riverside on the James, which includes 263,000 square feet of office space and 122 condos.

BlackFinn Restaurant and Saloon will occupy about 7,000 square feet in River side's office tower. It will feature American cuisine in a sports-bar environment, said Michael Campbell, a principal with Dominion Realty Partners, which is developing Vistas on the James. He is formerly a principal with Daniel Corp., one of the developers of Riverside on the James.

Blanc Bleu, a 220-seat restaurant and lounge, will open in Riverside's Hydroelectric Plant building.

Toad's Place, initially slated to open in October 2005, will have a capacity for 1,600 people and feature live music and other entertainment. It also will include a 150-seat restaurant.

City police say they will introduce regular bicycle patrols along the Canal Walk beginning in the spring in light of the new businesses and expected activity.

Toad's Place will join The Roseline Financial Group, which moved its offices from Main Street to Lady Byrd Hat in October.

Damn...nothing on Alcoa -_-

I think this is more along the lines of what Burt is talking about:

canalwalklink.jpg

It would link the two canals where the existing locks are already in place. One issue will be the proposed extension of Byrd St through the large opening in the Flood Wall, along the flood wall eventually meeting up with Virginia St at Vistas.

I'm going to ask Tommy to use the aerial above and another aerial just east of it to map out Cam's and my route for the canal connection thru the hole in the wall, as well as a proposed extension of Byrd Street.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like significant progress has been made in the building across from La Diff. The new (I think) deli looks like it will open in the near future. Driving by this morning I saw lights on inside and paint on the walls/pillars.

Thanks, JSI, for news on the Southern RR Deli. Is anything going into the second floor of the old depot? Or is it already occupied?

• 4 weeks later...

It's been almost a year since this article was written. Anybody have any idea when construction will begin?

Longer Canal Walk

JSI, it's probably a sure bet that it will not be finished by the time of Jamestown's 400th anniversary.

I wonder if CSX may not be one of the reasons for the hold-up? After all, the walk appears as if it will be directly under portions of the rail trestle.

Norfolk Southern owns the Bascule bridge that blocks water access to and from Great Ship Lock. There have been unrealized hopes that the Railroad would make the bridge operational, and also that Congress would approve whatever regulation is necessary to reopen the Great Ship Lock.

A row of "ship shops" docked along the extended Canal walk eastward from 17th Street is an idea that has been advanced by myself and Wrldcoupe4, but for a myriad of reasons it probably will not get serious attention.

• 1 month later...

Sunday was the opening day for canal boat season. It was a pretty dreary day, but I went down there and was one of two passengers on a sailing. There were two other boats that were loaded with charter groups. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the ride, and the guide was a well-versed young man who had done his first tour just prior to the one I was taking. I pointed out the Monroe Building and told him that it is STILL the tallest completed building in Virginia. He appeared impressed.

The Canal/Riverfront management (I think its Venture Richmond) is in need of considerable tweaking, IMO. They should hire on someone who knows a thing or two about marketing.

And needless to say, every "fountain" I saw was dry as a bone, and those damned flag poles -- well, I won't even go into it because it make my blood boil!!!

Had a little snack in the brand new Southern Railway Deli and found it to be very nice, indeed.

• 4 weeks later...

According to the news last night the new "parking lot" (Cathedral Walk) across from Main St. Station is set to open on May 30th.

Meanwhile, the City has banned, effective today, parking on both sides of Main Street from about 17th to 21st Streets from 4PM 'til 3AM. Apparently residents and business owners have complained about traffic and cruising in the Bottom. It was mentioned in the report that a 100-space lot would soon be ready in the area, but did not identify its location. Presumably it is Cathedral Walk.

Is the State's new garage at 14th and Main available for after-dark parking?

Meanwhile, the City has banned, effective today, parking on both sides of Main Street from about 17th to 21st Streets from 4PM 'til 3AM. Apparently residents and business owners have complained about traffic and cruising in the Bottom. It was mentioned in the report that a 100-space lot would soon be ready in the area, but did not identify its location. Presumably it is Cathedral Walk.

Is the State's new garage at 14th and Main available for after-dark parking?

Yeah Burt, they were talking about Cathedral Walk for the 100-space lot. Not sure about being able to park after-dark at 14th & Main. It should be opened for free parking during the evening as another way to attract people to come downtown. It's in a prime location between the Slip & Bottom with easy access to I-95.

Just a reminder to all posters and lurkers: If you haven't done so, you ought to take the canal boat ride. It operates weekends only and costs about five bucks (plus a tip, if so inclined) and is enjoyable and informative.

Besides, they need the business.

Yeah Burt, they were talking about Cathedral Walk for the 100-space lot. Not sure about being able to park after-dark at 14th & Main. It should be opened for free parking during the evening as another way to attract people to come downtown. It's in a prime location between the Slip & Bottom with easy access to I-95.

I agree about the state deck at 14th and Main. It should be available for free or at a low cost to people wanting to come downtown. One of the biggest complaints I hear from people is about having to pay to park. If there's a free or very low cost option, it could be beneficial.

Archived