Richmond's Canal Walk

theriverpirate

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

A Venture Richmond INSIDE BUZZ release just came thru my e-mail. It says:

LIGHT UP YOUR NIGHT, The Grand Opening of the Plaza at main Street Station next Friday, September 21st beginning at 7:30 PM.

Then it continues: "Join in the fun and wear your 'lighted attire' as the city flips the switch on downtown's newest destination spot to 'Light Up the Night' for visitors to Richmond's historic Shockoe Bottom and Shockoe Slip.

"Speakers Mayor L. Douglas Wilder and Virginia Secretary of Transportation Pierce R. Homer will talk about the exciting changes taking place in this fast changing part of the City and the State. Then they will turn on ONE HUNDRED FLOOD LIGHTS ILLUMINATING THE I-95 COLUMNS TRANSFORMING THE SITE INTO A STUNNING PLAZA AND CATHEDRAL WALKWAY.

"After the lighting ceremony, stay downtown and enjoy a lighted stilt walker, fire juggling and 'Wearable Light Art' created by students from the VCU School of Art. Then venture off AND ENJOY FREE CANAL BOAT RIDES FROM 7PM-9PM and discover all that the River District has to offer."

WOW, I wish I could be there. By the way, the canal boat ride is much more fun after dark.

If any body goes to the lighting-up of Cathedral Walk, please take your camera and snap photos as well as you can in the dark.

Wonder if the flood lights will be in various colors?

If anyone can get close to Secretary of Transportation Pierce Homer, please ask him the status of rail improvements between Staples Mill and MSS.

A Venture Richmond INSIDE BUZZ release just came thru my e-mail. It says:

LIGHT UP YOUR NIGHT, The Grand Opening of the Plaza at main Street Station next Friday, September 21st beginning at 7:30 PM.

Then it continues: "Join in the fun and wear your 'lighted attire' as the city flips the switch on downtown's newest destination spot to 'Light Up the Night' for visitors to Richmond's historic Shockoe Bottom and Shockoe Slip.

"Speakers Mayor L. Douglas Wilder and Virginia Secretary of Transportation Pierce R. Homer will talk about the exciting changes taking place in this fast changing part of the City and the State. Then they will turn on ONE HUNDRED FLOOD LIGHTS ILLUMINATING THE I-95 COLUMNS TRANSFORMING THE SITE INTO A STUNNING PLAZA AND CATHEDRAL WALKWAY.

"After the lighting ceremony, stay downtown and enjoy a lighted stilt walker, fire juggling and 'Wearable Light Art' created by students from the VCU School of Art. Then venture off AND ENJOY FREE CANAL BOAT RIDES FROM 7PM-9PM and discover all that the River District has to offer."

WOW, I wish I could be there. By the way, the canal boat ride is much more fun after dark.

I'll be there with my tripod! I'm so glad I'm still off on Fridays.

Cam, I saw you there, but I didn't get a chance to say hi. Did you notice the pathetic excuse for speakers they were using in a vain attempt to amplify their voices. Only the people directly in front of the podium could understand anything. They were maxing out those crappy toy speakers. I was almost tempted to speed home and grab my little bose tower, which must have 6 times the amps of what they had. You would think the city would have prepared better, considering the traffic on main street, the train traffic and the sound of tractor trailers vibrating the bridge overhead. Maybe I could get a job running sound for city events.

Also, I really like the new look, and the color is cool, but it was a bit anticlimactic at the end of the countdown. I sort of expected a more intricate display of light and shadow. Fun times though. I took advantage of the free canal boat ride and really enjoyed it. The landscape along the canal looks really scenic at night.

Should have come by! I didn't notice the problems with the speakers... I could hear just fine... but I was basically in front of the podium when they started speaking. When the train came by... well I was practically underneath it... but it was just music then. It just sounded like a bustling city to me!

Cam, I saw you there, but I didn't get a chance to say hi. Did you notice the pathetic excuse for speakers they were using in a vain attempt to amplify their voices. Only the people directly in front of the podium could understand anything. They were maxing out those crappy toy speakers. I was almost tempted to speed home and grab my little bose tower, which must have 6 times the amps of what they had. You would think the city would have prepared better, considering the traffic on main street, the train traffic and the sound of tractor trailers vibrating the bridge overhead. Maybe I could get a job running sound for city events.

Also, I really like the new look, and the color is cool, but it was a bit anticlimactic at the end of the countdown. I sort of expected a more intricate display of light and shadow. Fun times though. I took advantage of the free canal boat ride and really enjoyed it. The landscape along the canal looks really scenic at night.

mclaws... you weren't on the boat that got rained on were you? We were the last group out and got a nice little shower. We turned around in front of Tobacco Row and hauled butt back... well at last as fast as that boat could take us ;) Really enjoyed the ride though and I think the city should consider doing weekend nighttime boat rides. It was a lot of fun to see the Canal Walk and Tobacco Row at night and if they market it well I think there would be a demand for it, especially if they consider adding more decorative lighting/art along the Canal itself. I think now the latest they go is till around 6?

Cam, thank you so much for those wonderful and colorful pictures of the lighting ceremony under the highways. Did they mention future plans to extend the illuminated Cathedral Walk to Dock Street?

I believe I've mentioned on this thread that the canal rides are more interesting after dark. Ric75 said his boat had to "haul butt" back to the turning basin due to rain. Hauling butt at 5 miles an hour must have been a wet experience for the passengers. :lol:

I wish they would transfer two of the fleet up to the Haxall as an added feature during the Nat'l Folk Festival.

Burt, you should call Venture Richmond and suggest they place a boat or two on the upper canal for the festival. They are the local organizers for the NFF and would probably welcome suggestions. I guarantee they'd be popular.

Don't you remember I told you I sent two e-mails last year suggesting that as well as checking out the fountain flow and dressing those damned flag polls? Enola Gay (or whatever her first name) never even acknowledged them.

mclaws... you weren't on the boat that got rained on were you? We were the last group out and got a nice little shower. We turned around in front of Tobacco Row and hauled butt back... well at last as fast as that boat could take us ;) Really enjoyed the ride though and I think the city should consider doing weekend nighttime boat rides. It was a lot of fun to see the Canal Walk and Tobacco Row at night and if they market it well I think there would be a demand for it, especially if they consider adding more decorative lighting/art along the Canal itself. I think now the latest they go is till around 6?

I was on the second to last ride. If you were part of the crowd waiting for the last boat, you might have seen me get getting off. I think I was the last one off, and I was the only person who tipped the 'captain'.

After that we ran into Sine for a drink, and when we left it appeared as though it had just rained. I agree that weekend nighttime boat rides are a good idea and would have plenty of demand.

Archived