Richmond's Canal Walk

theriverpirate

The River District

The River District Alliance has a new and improved website, check it out!

Still kind of confused as to why they would launch a new website if they are merging with other downtown marketing groups? hmm.

nice list of events happening in april. maybe we could add a few to the Events thread? ;)

Great find Coupe! Im on it :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Detroit's River Walk

Looks like Richmond is not the only city trying to jumpstart development with San Antonio in mind.

Hmm, Detroits looks nice. Doesnt look like much of a canal setup as ours though and not as nearly grown in. Ours needs a water feature! A big one! A plaza with a fountain or those little founatins that shoot up. Something that will attract families.

We have water features. There's a fountain at 7th and Tredegar (and I could seea lot of emergency vehicles near it today from Belle Isle where I spent a few hours and there was water in the street when I passed by after they left). There's a little fountain in the canal basin. It's not a fancy one though... just a little bubbler. Browns Island would be nice to be surrounded by water... and we can put Paul DiPasquale's statue in it (and give him a new boat).

• 1 month later...

According to today's TD, work will finally get underway this fall on the Main Street Station Plaza under the spaghetti works in The Bottom.

See story on Home page titled "Plaza Will Undergo Artistic Surgery". Damn! Wish I knew how to link! Tommy, since you're so adept at the computer, will you link the story?

The first phase will include gated parking for train passengers and others. There will be walkways and hopefully some kind of lighting of the I-95 support columns. It will be directly in front of Main Street Station and run one block to Cary Street. A later 2nd phase will continue south from Cary Street to Dock Street and the Canal Walk.

According to today's TD, work will finally get underway this fall on the Main Street Station Plaza under the spaghetti works in The Bottom.

See story on Home page titled "Plaza Will Undergo Artistic Surgery". Damn! Wish I knew how to link! Tommy, since you're so adept at the computer, will you link the story?

The first phase will include gated parking for train passengers and others. There will be walkways and hopefully some kind of lighting of the I-95 support columns. It will be directly in front of Main Street Station and run one block to Cary Street. A later 2nd phase will continue south from Cary Street to Dock Street and the Canal Walk.

Sure thing, Burt :thumbsup:

Plaza will undergo artistic surgery

Richmond officials hope to start construction this fall on a nearly $3 million project to improve parking, lighting, drainage and pedestrian access in the Bottom, the Canal Walk and Shockoe Slip.

The project, called the Plaza at Main Street Station, also is being designed as a site for festivals, a stop for tour buses and a drop-off point for rail passengers.

A wide, decorative walkway will lead pedestrians and bicyclists between the highway support columns from Cary Street to a gently curved plaza across Main Street from Main Street Station.

Skyrider, a city-commissioned piece by sculptor John Newman, is suspended over the site of the plaza, which will be made of bluestone paving with shades of blue, green and gray.

The two parallel sets of support columns under I-95 evoke the center aisle of a church, said Jeannie Welliver, a project development manager for the city.

"We're trying to create a shaft of light through here," she said.

The new 90-space parking lot will be gated and available for hourly users and rail passengers, Welliver said. The plaza and walk will feature places to sit, and the ballards that will restrict vehicle access to certain areas will include openings where bicycles can be locked, she said.

City officials are planning a second phase of the project that would extend the walk from Cary to Dock streets and Canal Walk, near 17th Street.

I can't wait for this project to be finished... combined with the Shockoe Bottom mural and the great redevelopment project at 14th and Main, the stretch between downtown and the bottom is really coming in to being. Not to mention the new Reconciliation Monument. :thumbsup: There's a few more parcels/buildings that could use some sprucing up.

I can't wait for this project to be finished... combined with the Shockoe Bottom mural and the great redevelopment project at 14th and Main, the stretch between downtown and the bottom is really coming in to being. Not to mention the new Reconciliation Monument. :thumbsup: There's a few more parcels/buildings that could use some sprucing up.

Same here. I was hoping they would have already started by now but I guess we can't be too picky. The gaps in this area are becoming fewer. Even that old warehouse across the street from Stool Pigeon's is apparently undergoing renovations.

Yes... that warehouse is undergoing some serious work. I think it's called the Hygrade Meat Building.

What are the plans for Hygrade, Coupe. It's clear that work is being done there, but there's been precious little info released about its future.

I think the work currently being done is actually court-ordered. I'm not sure what the plans are for the building once the current overhaul is complete, but I'd bet mostly residential above the first floor... maybe some office space. It might depend on what kind of parking can be attained nearby?

• 3 weeks later...

I just looked at Cam's Canal pictures again. That is truly an exciting picture essay. The area looks pretty gritty and desolate and though water is once again flowing I suspect an eastern canal walk extension has not yet been developed.

• 1 month later...

What's going on at Toad's Place?

Well, one thing that WON'T be going on there is The Richmond Symphony Kicked Back Series. It has moved it's concerts to The Canal Club at 17th and Dock Streets. The series of five programs will begin next Thursday and will continue with four more 7 PM concerts during the season. Tickets are only $10.

Another RSO Classical Kicked Back series will be held on four Sundays at The Science Museum of Virginia on West Broad at Robinson Street. The concerts will begin at 5PM and cost $17.

Indeed, WHAT IS GOING ON AT TOADS???

What's going on at Toad's Place?

Well, one thing that WON'T be going on there is The Richmond Symphony Kicked Back Series. It has moved it's concerts to The Canal Club at 17th and Dock Streets. The series of five programs will begin next Thursday and will continue with four more 7 PM concerts during the season. Tickets are only $10.

Another RSO Classical Kicked Back series will be held on four Sundays at The Science Museum of Virginia on West Broad at Robinson Street. The concerts will begin at 5PM and cost $17.

Indeed, WHAT IS GOING ON AT TOADS???

Interior work continues. The construction fences around the site have been long gone.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember someone mentioning that Alcoa was moving out of the factory along the Canal Walk in December. Any news on this? I know that Daniel Corp. has had their eyes on this property for a long time, with proposals such as this.

Dominion Partners is still eyeing the property. No finalized deal has been set forth for the buyout of the land. I was told by sources that Alcoa is looking to sell and that the deal is looking like a go. Only time will tell.

Oh and sources tell me that the white building along the canal and the long brown brick building (the one painted brown) will be restored. Everything else will go bye bye. Byrd Street will be re-routed through the development. Except for the corner of 10th and East Byrd, all of the structures will designed to mimick the two structure left standing. The corner of 10th and E Byrd is propsed to be a 500,000 sq ft office tower. The rendering that everyone is aware of is not the design of the tower. It is just a conception.

Oh I forgot to mention this from Burt...

The Southern Railway building at the Turning Basin on the Canal Walk will be turned into the CANAL CAFE. It'll have an interesting concept:

Along the western wall will be a 'food court' of sorts with choices from various eateries. In the northeast corner there will be a bar, and somewhere else inside will have a butcher's shop. Sounds pretty cool! Can't remember if he mentioned a completion date though.

Oh I forgot to mention this from Burt...

The Southern Railway building at the Turning Basin on the Canal Walk will be turned into the CANAL CAFE. It'll have an interesting concept:

Along the western wall will be a 'food court' of sorts with choices from various eateries. In the northeast corner there will be a bar, and somewhere else inside will have a butcher's shop. Sounds pretty cool! Can't remember if he mentioned a completion date though.

It is currently being turned in a cafe from what I saw.

Archived