Richmond's Canal Walk

theriverpirate

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Wow... well this can't really be confirmed yet, but I had to spill it over here...

YM on rcw said that Alcoa's employees in their canal/riverfront factory have been told it's 12 months until they are out of there.

I wish Riverpirate was still around... his insight was invaluable when it came to canal news....

Here's what he said about it last June in reference to Daniel Corp.:

I know that they're interested in the Alcoa building at 11th and Byrd streets (as well as the one on 12th and Byrd) that covers the canal near the old 13th street bridge. Officially, Alcoa has no plans to sell, but there are a number of developers (including Daniel) lining up to make offers. With the amount of money Daniel has pulled in over the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a strong push to buy that site, especially after they break ground on Vistas and collect money for the condos. It would be the perfect location- a link between ROTJ and Vistas.

Ryan R had also mentioned that Daniel was so pleased with the response from Vistas, that it was already planning another tower.

Could this all be coming together?

Wow... well this can't really be confirmed yet, but I had to spill it over here...

YM on rcw said that Alcoa's employees in their canal/riverfront factory have been told it's 12 months until they are out of there.

I wish Riverpirate was still around... his insight was invaluable when it came to canal news....

Here's what he said about it last June in reference to Daniel Corp.:

Ryan R had also mentioned that Daniel was so pleased with the response from Vistas, that it was already planning another tower.

Could this all be coming together?

If so this is great news for downtown. That would create a fairly continuous club/restaurant district from Brown's Island all the way to Shockoe Bottom. Is it Alcoa that owns that armory-looking building across the canal from the Brown's Island Power Plant? That's another building that's ripe for development.

If so this is great news for downtown. That would create a fairly continuous club/restaurant district from Brown's Island all the way to Shockoe Bottom. Is it Alcoa that owns that armory-looking building across the canal from the Brown's Island Power Plant? That's another building that's ripe for development.

:) That's the one we have earmarked as a boutique hotel, ric75.

Coupe, I'll bet if you inquired of your inside sources you'd come up with an accurate assessment of the possibilities for Alcoa.

I love Cam's picture essay of the Canal and Chappel Island. There are some stunning shots of Tobacco Row as well, and I've looked at all of them several times. But in order to scroll down to new postings on this subject, it takes about 5 minutes with dial-up.

That was just a very loose vision.... by no means is that what will happen. Portions of where Alcoa are have 70' height limitations for new buildings. Primarily certain parcels near the downtown expressway.

Here's the unified development site for the alcoa property:

Richmond Riverfront Corp.

sites2378.gif

Alcoa owns/uses sites 2,3,7,8. It seems that, according to deed covenants, there are height limitations of some form or another on sites 2,3,7,8. The Italianate building on site 3 must be preserved. Site 2 seems to be the only site with no height limitation.

I've always liked the little canal side village... but I am hoping for a link between the Haxall and Kanawha... then if only that Foundry development and Ethyl can link the old bed with Haxall.

I never realized how much space Alcoa occupied along the Canal. If indeed they do leave, the company should make a pretty good profit selling that land. The only building I see staying intact though is the "boutique hotel". I wouldn't really miss the factory but I would miss the ivy covered wall along that shaded stretch of the Canal Walk.

I never realized how much space Alcoa occupied along the Canal. If indeed they do leave, the company should make a pretty good profit selling that land. The only building I see staying intact though is the "boutique hotel". I wouldn't really miss the factory but I would miss the ivy covered wall along that shaded stretch of the Canal Walk.

i heard that the white building on the canal will stay (maybe this is the boutique hotel you are talking about?). from what i hear, the brown warehouse building (not the aluminum manufacturing building), which currently has the windows painted or covered over, will also stay. i think this would actually be a nice building once it's cleaned up.

i heard that everything else is coming down.

We'll take it haha. I know that the Italianate "boutique hotel" building will be preserved. I like it so I'm glad.. Not sure about the others, though I think some of those buildings pre-date reconstruction believe it or not. For history's sake, I wouldn't want to see them gone, but they don't and can't contribute as much to the area as a new structure, IMO.

We'll take it haha. I know that the Italianate "boutique hotel" building will be preserved. I like it so I'm glad.. Not sure about the others, though I think some of those buildings pre-date reconstruction believe it or not. For history's sake, I wouldn't want to see them gone, but they don't and can't contribute as much to the area as a new structure, IMO.

I think maybe the "white" building to which bankrupt refers is west of the Boutique Hotel and is one of the old pre-reconstruction buildings. It is visible in some of the shots from ROTJ in Richmond in Pictures II.

I love the way we talk of the Boutique Hotel as if it were a done deal. :lol:

The brown building has some good windows. I don't know why they painted them over... with BROWN of all colors! The arch over 12th will be missed. If only I could share my most recent pics of the area...

Archived