Tallahassee: Roads

Florida

Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?

• Apalachee Parkway
    • Blairstone Road
    • Capital Circle
    • Mahan Drive (East)
    • Tennessee Street (West)
    • Monroe Street
    • Old Bainbridge
    • Thomasville Road
    • Other (Explain)

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus this is probably coming from someone who's never found themselves having to walk home down one of these dark, no-sidewalk streets at night. Surely, I stay on the shoulder, but its often dangerous walking on grounds you can't see well.

Face it, there needs to be some lighting in the county.

Plus this is probably coming from someone who's never found themselves having to walk home down one of these dark, no-sidewalk streets at night. Surely, I stay on the shoulder, but its often dangerous walking on grounds you can't see well.

Face it, there needs to be some lighting in the county.

That's what these devices called "flashlights" are for. I recommend LED flashlights. They are brighter than the old tired kind and the batteries last forever (almost). There are new ones the size of a nickel that fit on your key ring (or nose ring or wherever you young folks keep your stuff) that are brighter than an old 3 D cell Maglight police special. If you want to be stealth, get a red LED flashlight. They're bright enough to easily find your way, but no one sees you coming.

Actually, your statements sound more like an SUV driving, resource wasting fan of the oil companies and their republican buddies.

I can see the importance of bright lights around intersections and traffic pattern changes on freeways and other primaries. They also work good in high crime areas (easier for the dealers to count their change). Most other places, they are just tacky and low class. Parking lots are especially over-illuminated. We need to see well enough to not hit anybody or anything, but those mercury vapor lights that make it look like daytime are obnoxous and a waste.

I have to agree with Ghost on this one. There is a such thing called light pollution you know. No better place to demonstrate that than here in Mi-ah-ma. Every single street is lit, it's drastically different than Tallahassee. And it looks worse too. Tallahassee streets are lit well enough. Let's not become like the beforementioned place. :)

Researchers have found LED technology to be so much more efficient that the current lighting being used for traffic signals, lighting posts, indoors and so on that they've gone as far as requiring cities to replace all traffic signals with LEDs this decade. They need to take it a step further. These lights are not only more efficient, they last longer, and emmit hardly any heat, which would therefore reduce global warming if adopted on a grand scale.

Researchers have found LED technology to be so much more efficient that the current lighting being used for traffic signals, lighting posts, indoors and so on that they've gone as far as requiring cities to replace all traffic signals with LEDs this decade. They need to take it a step further. These lights are not only more efficient, they last longer, and emmit hardly any heat, which would therefore reduce global warming if adopted on a grand scale.

From an environmental standpoint, light pollution is a greater threat than the heat put off from street lights.

I agree that most major intown roads need to be well light. However there are areas that see major traffic, but frankly do not need to be well light because they run though relative wilderness (when compared to the rest of the city). Most drivers just use these streets to get from one place to another.

Hi beams were put on cars for more than just annoying other drivers. :)

Yeah if there are grants out there then why not? I think we should at least light up downtown better. It is PATHETIC how invisible most of our buildings are there. We need to have spotlights on those or something at night.

Not to be a jerk, but I would appreciate if someone explained the concept of light pollution to me. Its seems only an aesthetic concern, not an environmental one.

Light (and sound) pollution are probably some of the hardest ideas to wrap your brain around. Most people's idea of "pollution" is something that you throw away or dump. But when you look at the actual definition of Pollution you get this:

"The contamination of air, water, or soil by substances that are harmful to living organisms. Pollution can occur naturally, for example through volcanic eruptions, or as the result of human activities, such as the spilling of oil or disposal of industrial waste. Light from cities and towns at night that interferes with astronomical observations is known as light pollution. It can also disturb natural rhythms of growth in plants and other organisms. Continuous noise that is loud enough to be annoying or physically harmful is known as noise pollution. Heat from hot water that is discharged from a factory into a river or lake, where it can kill or endanger aquatic life, is known as thermal pollution. "

Here is a good article on light pollution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_pollution

And this part deal with the effects on wildlife in particular: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_polluti...n_of_ecosystems

The best example of light pollution I can think of is road ways long the coast. Hatchling Sea Turtles walk to the brightest thing at night looking for the ocean. If there is a road way near by, they walk towards the car lights instead. :(

Light (and sound) pollution are probably some of the hardest ideas to wrap your brain around. Most people's idea of "pollution" is something that you throw away or dump. But when you look at the actual definition of Pollution you get this:

"The contamination of air, water, or soil by substances that are harmful to living organisms. Pollution can occur naturally, for example through volcanic eruptions, or as the result of human activities, such as the spilling of oil or disposal of industrial waste. Light from cities and towns at night that interferes with astronomical observations is known as light pollution. It can also disturb natural rhythms of growth in plants and other organisms. Continuous noise that is loud enough to be annoying or physically harmful is known as noise pollution. Heat from hot water that is discharged from a factory into a river or lake, where it can kill or endanger aquatic life, is known as thermal pollution. "

Here is a good article on light pollution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_pollution

And this part deal with the effects on wildlife in particular: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_polluti...n_of_ecosystems

The best example of light pollution I can think of is road ways long the coast. Hatchling Sea Turtles walk to the brightest thing at night looking for the ocean. If there is a road way near by, they walk towards the car lights instead. :(

Archived