Tallahassee: Roads

Florida

Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?

• Apalachee Parkway
    • Blairstone Road
    • Capital Circle
    • Mahan Drive (East)
    • Tennessee Street (West)
    • Monroe Street
    • Old Bainbridge
    • Thomasville Road
    • Other (Explain)

Of course the rat had a lot to do with the growth of O-town, but actually Walt Disney picked the location based on flying over and seeing I-4 and the Florida Turnpike intersect in a big X. This was his main decision maker, if any of you have ever gone through Disney's "Traditions" class. But Orlando was already a growing city if you look at the census stats through the decades and bringing I-4 through downtown was a big business decision that helped spur growth. I believe Orlando's pop at the time was a little over 50,000 and it was unusual to bring an interstate through a city of that size and it required a lot of political pull. It also helped to divide/destroy much of downtown and was a major bullet in the death of the Parramore neighborhood. Once the 408 was built E-W that pretty much destroyed Parramore. But back to Tallahassee....

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True on the big X theory that Disney tells you, but don't them fool you either, if they were not able to amass the large acreage at a cheap price, the X factor would not have mattered. And while O-town would have been big w/out the Rat, it stimulated growth much faster than would have normally occurred.

I know this b/c I use to work for the ECFRPC (East Central FL Regional Planning Council) off Lee Rd. They keep a history of the area on file and I've read it cover to cover many times. It's a little less biased than what Disney would say. Not picking on the Rat here, it's just that they see it from their viewpoint only..which is only natural. I spent a lifetime one year in O-town. It's a nice city, but it's not for everyone. :shok: I've enjoyed my time in other large cities much better including living in South FL. Not bashing here just a case of different strokes for different folks. But you are right....back to Sweet Tally.

P.S. metrowester was that old map you were looking at showing I-10 through downtown Tally a real map or was it online? If it was online could you link us to it please??

I sure wish it was online. I was actually cleaning out some of my deceased grandparents stuff and it was an old road atlas, very interesting (to me anyways.) I also found a lot of old Florida maps and Orlando maps, my grandmother never threw anything away. I'm not computer savvy enough to scan anything but is it possible to scan some of this stuff? If so I can get someone to help me with it, I found so many cool things. Old skyline postcards, maps, newspapers, pictures, etc. I found Orlando maps that pre-date I-4 and the 408 and even 436. My grandparents lived first on Old Cheney Hyw when it was Hyw 50. They then moved to a house on Lake Barton and lived at 440 N. Lake Barton Rd. which later became Semoran Blvd and 436. If I knew how to do it I could post a lot of this stuff on the Orlando forums, I know you look all over the place. I've also lived in South Florida and loved it. Ft. Lauderdale is pretty much my favorite city (Although I'm partial to Orlando, of course.) You know most of us Orlando folks get pretty excited about O-town...... :yahoo:

I sure wish it was online. I was actually cleaning out some of my deceased grandparents stuff and it was an old road atlas, very interesting (to me anyways.) I also found a lot of old Florida maps and Orlando maps, my grandmother never threw anything away. I'm not computer savvy enough to scan anything but is it possible to scan some of this stuff? If so I can get someone to help me with it, I found so many cool things. Old skyline postcards, maps, newspapers, pictures, etc. I found Orlando maps that pre-date I-4 and the 408 and even 436. My grandparents lived first on Old Cheney Hyw when it was Hyw 50. They then moved to a house on Lake Barton and lived at 440 N. Lake Barton Rd. which later became Semoran Blvd and 436. If I knew how to do it I could post a lot of this stuff on the Orlando forums, I know you look all over the place. I've also lived in South Florida and loved it. Ft. Lauderdale is pretty much my favorite city (Although I'm partial to Orlando, of course.) You know most of us Orlando folks get pretty excited about O-town...... :yahoo:

More state money could be available for Capital Circle

The defeat of a sales tax increase in the western Panhandle could be good news for Tallahassee commuters.

With voters in Santa Rosa County rejecting a one-cent sales tax in September, a state grant for transportation projects that was conditioned on a local match is back in play

WOW! I've not been down Orange AveNEW yet, that is even better than I thought it would be. Looks great! Thanks for the shots TJ. I use to travel that street several times a week to volunteer at Wesson. I was always afraid I was going to end up in one of those ditches one day.

Now my question is: Will they ever landscape T'ville road north of Killearn to Bradfordville or will it always just be that ugly strip of grass? Heck even I would settle for a crappy myrtle or two on that stretch of highway.

:yahoo:I-10 Update!!

:yahoo:

November 15 , 2006

Work has begun on Segment 3 which extends from Meridian Road (CR155) to the Thomasville Road Interchange (SR261). Crews have begun preparation for the construction of the strom water facilities. Construction vehicles will be entering and exiting the interstate along this segment. No lane closures are planned at this time.

Beginning Thursday November 16, 2006 road side assistance personnel will begin patrolling the entire ten mile work zone in a clearly marked vehicle. They will be available to assist disabled vehicles 24 hours per day, seven days a week throughout the duration of construction.

I-10

:yahoo:I-10 Update!!

:yahoo:

November 15 , 2006

Work has begun on Segment 3 which extends from Meridian Road (CR155) to the Thomasville Road Interchange (SR261). Crews have begun preparation for the construction of the strom water facilities. Construction vehicles will be entering and exiting the interstate along this segment. No lane closures are planned at this time.

Beginning Thursday November 16, 2006 road side assistance personnel will begin patrolling the entire ten mile work zone in a clearly marked vehicle. They will be available to assist disabled vehicles 24 hours per day, seven days a week throughout the duration of construction.

I-10

Good news about I-10. I've been noticing some of the prep work they've been doing. Let's hope this project gets done on time.

People are having trouble w/the Orange Round-about. Again we in Tally did not invent the round-about. It's so simple to use, if you just turn on your brain. I can't believe people on Orange think they have the right-of-way over people IN the round-about. At this location, I actually prefer it over a traffic signal. Of course Proctor had to get his two cents in about it and doesn't like it. I'm sure something like this baffles him. I wonder if he'll turn this into City of Tally/Leon County are being oppressive to the good folks of District 1? Besides Proctor will never use this round-about since he lives on the North side of town. :D

Finally those of you up in the NE, what's all this screaming about a new billboard? Where is it exactly located and what is on it? No not the electronic one near the flyover, I believe this is a traditional billboard north of Killearn? Do tell please and does/can anyone have a pic of it?

If you aren't talking about the New Electronic billboard, you're probably talking about a new Tri-Vision recently installed by LAMAR almost at the entrance of the Highgrove Neighborhood. The location of the board is weird, and the only ad I've seen on it are Proctor GMC going South, and Proctor Acura going North. There may be more to come. Could this be the board you speak of? I think people are loving the Electronic Board.

As far as the roundabout is concerned I had a slight issue with a driver the other day. Apparently she felt because she was huge, and driving a gigantic SUV vs my small car, that she could run me down. I clearly had the right of way as I was in the circle, but her speed coming South on Jim Lee road, caused me to screech on brakes as she roared through the round-about. I meant to get a picture of her as I was taking those others, but I was too shocked.

The speed limit is lowered to 10 MPH around the roundabout in all directions. Signs clearly say yield to traffic within the circle in all directions. There are no stop signs and if everyone used it properly, there would be no problems.

The Highgrove billboard must be the one they are all screaming about in the Zings the last few days. Maybe on one of your next trips "Up North" TJ, you might get us a picture of this "spawn of Satan" blight over Killearn? :P

Man I wish you would have gotten Miss SUV's picture complete w/license plate number, then we could have found out exactly who she is.

Archived