Tallahassee: Roads

Florida

Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?

• Apalachee Parkway
    • Blairstone Road
    • Capital Circle
    • Mahan Drive (East)
    • Tennessee Street (West)
    • Monroe Street
    • Old Bainbridge
    • Thomasville Road
    • Other (Explain)

Surely that's the only new board I've seen north of the Killearn entrance that would ruffle some feathers of our NE birdies. They have one of their neighbors to blame for selling his or her property rights for such an eyesoar. At least they'll get to see 3 different ads when they look at it! :D

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As opposed to the blight of Killearn Lakes (a land use change that is being proposed at the entrance to Golden Eagle).

Surely that's the only new board I've seen north of the Killearn entrance that would ruffle some feathers of our NE birdies. They have one of their neighbors to blame for selling his or her property rights for such an eyesoar. At least they'll get to see 3 different ads when they look at it! :D

I don't think I've ever even seen the entrance to Golden Eagle...what gives w/the land use change? Do tell if you can.

There are far worse sign code violations ALL over town than the sign up on T'ville road you guys speak of. Funny how when things happen THERE and are legal, folks still scream. If I lived up there, I'd be screaming for them to landscape that barren median.

The city is about to convert Call Street into a two way traffic road because of the FSU parking garage that was recently built. This is of-course pending any public outcry. I personally object because this means the removal of valued parking spaces that my church uses each Sunday and Wednesday, in addition to making this a more dangerous road to cross, now having to worry about traffic coming in both directions.

I don't feel its necessary to convert the entire strip of call from Macomb to Meridian, for FSU's parking garage. It works fine as a one way street. However, if they want to make it a two-way between Macomb and Copeland, I'd understand that because then it will only affect the campus.

I need more fire-power for this. What do you all think?

^ I'm not fully FOR or Against this proposal. Living near it, I use CALL a lot. It's an odd one-way in that it's one of the few one-ways w/out a parallel street going the opposite way....i.e 6th/7th, Gadsden/Calhoun, Duval/Bronough etc. I find Call rarely used to the east of Monroe after peak hours. The folks south of Meridian may not like Call going two-way b/c that may create more traffic in that residential area. As for me I'd probably use it more if it were two way as an alternative to Tennessee Street.

Its only one way from Copeland to Gadsden Street. Beyond that, eastward, its a two way street.

I don't think its right to remove the off street parking that is still highly used by area churches, people using the library, those working at the City Centre (Federal) building and others. To change my mind, all they have to do is throw in the words, Floridan Project and I'm ALL FOR IT BABY!! :alc:

But because they haven't... I'm OPPOSED!!! :stop:

Are you sure TJ, I travel that way almost every day and I can't turn right at Call and Meridian, so I believe the one-way continues past Gadsden to Meridian????

So TJ, you are saying you want us (The City) to continue Call as a one-way just to save some parking where most of it west of Adams is used at best 5 to 6 hours a week? Is that really reason enough to stop it or is that just that dreaded word that starts w/a N and ends w/a Y????

Are you sure TJ, I travel that way almost every day and I can't turn right at Call and Meridian, so I believe the one-way continues past Gadsden to Meridian????

So TJ, you are saying you want us (The City) to continue Call as a one-way just to save some parking where most of it west of Adams is used at best 5 to 6 hours a week? Is that really reason enough to stop it or is that just that dreaded word that starts w/a N and ends w/a Y????

The city is about to convert Call Street into a two way traffic road because of the FSU parking garage that was recently built. This is of-course pending any public outcry. I personally object because this means the removal of valued parking spaces that my church uses each Sunday and Wednesday, in addition to making this a more dangerous road to cross, now having to worry about traffic coming in both directions.

I don't feel its necessary to convert the entire strip of call from Macomb to Meridian, for FSU's parking garage. It works fine as a one way street. However, if they want to make it a two-way between Macomb and Copeland, I'd understand that because then it will only affect the campus.

I need more fire-power for this. What do you all think?

The real question here is: Will turning Call and Virginia back to two-way streets be better for the city as a whole, not for the individual. Based on the answer to that question is where the truth lies in this proposal. Apparently the city thinks it is best for the common good. What are the reason for why it is not best for the common good? Is taking away parking mainly used just for a few hours a week and not during peak times a greater good than better traffic flow the other times of day. And will changing these two streets create better or worse traffic flow?

I don't think two way streets belong in downtowns. For me, it seems safer in high-pedestrian areas to have one directional traffic. It may just be a personal preference, but I'll back down as this seems to go along with the Grand Plan afterall...

CallSt.jpg

as part of the Downtown Connectivity Plan Call Street is to have:

- (2) 11 feet driving lanes

- (2) 5 feet bike lanes (each side)

- 8 feet parallel parking areas on both

sides of the street

- 6 feet sidewalk on either side

Good reason TJ. As a walker, I too find it much easier to cross a busy one-way street than even a non-busy two-way street.

Is that rendering you posted what they plan to do NOW as they turn Call into a two-way street or is that just a long term dream? If that is what they want to do w/it now, I'd be much more in favor of this change.

TJ looks like your church isn't the only religious institution up in arms about this proposal, the Presbetyrians wrote a letter to the editor against it today.

Archived