Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I flew Dayjet to Naples yesterday, and I have to say it was an incredibly good trip. I shared the flight down with one other passenger, and was by myself on the way back. The pilot told me they are already ordering more jets to add to the 25 or so they have in the fleet now. I really hope it gets some traffic, because I would love to use this service again. For reference, my only commercial alternative was to fly Delta through Atlanta to Ft Myers. The total travel time would have been 5hrs and 50 minutes to Naples, vs. 1hr and 40 minutes door to door via Dayjet.

The kicker... my flight on Dayjet was $135 less than the Delta ticket. ($690 round trip vs a ridiculous $815 on Delta).

I would highly recommend it for business travel when it makes sense (in their service area, flexible travel schedule). Plus, it was a lot of fun. It has been a long time since I was excited about a flight.

This is a pic from my seat on the relatively small plane.

photo-1.jpg

Wow thats cool :) but we need riders or else this will fail.

Very interesting stuff T-man! I like the shot too. Tell me, how far in advance did you make your reservation w/DayJet? And how did you make the res? Phone or internet? How exactly does their pricing work? Would your flight have been more expensive if you would have flown to Naples by yourself? Or would your roundtrip have been less if you would have flown back to TLH w/a few more folks? Or does none of that matter as far as pricing goes? They fly to Boca where I have to go a lot, so I'd be interested in some details. I've been to their web-page and understand some of it, but I'd love to hear it first hand.

BTW I always refuse to fly anywhere in FL by leaving the state and going to ATL just to come back south again.

Very interesting stuff T-man! I like the shot too. Tell me, how far in advance did you make your reservation w/DayJet? And how did you make the res? Phone or internet? How exactly does their pricing work? Would your flight have been more expensive if you would have flown to Naples by yourself? Or would your roundtrip have been less if you would have flown back to TLH w/a few more folks? Or does none of that matter as far as pricing goes? They fly to Boca where I have to go a lot, so I'd be interested in some details. I've been to their web-page and understand some of it, but I'd love to hear it first hand.

BTW I always refuse to fly anywhere in FL by leaving the state and going to ATL just to come back south again.

Ok, ok! One at a time! jk

I joined on Tuesday, made my reservation on Wednesday, and flew on Thursday. I stayed overnight and did not make my return flight reservation until Thursday (day before flight). The cutoff is 6pm. You can make your reservation as far in advance as you want, but you won't know the exact itinerary until 7p the day before.

The pricing is based on the flexibility of your travel. I said I would leave any time after 7a, and arrive no later than 1:30p. Therefore, I got almost the cheapest flight that they offer because they had the greatest chance of gettings some other fare on the flight with me. If they don't, that is their loss, not mine.

I made the reservations on their website. They have a good pricing tool that makes it easy to pick your times and see the effect on pricing.

What would have made it more expensive is if I said I was only willing to travel between 11a and 2p, or even 12n and 2p. It would approach $1000 if I did that (each way).

They fly to hundreds of cities, and as long as there is a dayport on one end (which Tallahassee is) it does not seem to be much more expensive to fly to non-dayport cities (maybe a little).

The flight was very direct in the sense that it only went where I wanted to go, and when I was ready to go. In fact, I got to the Naples airport a bit early, and the pilots/plane were there and said they were ready to go whenever I was.

There is a chance that they would have to stop once on the flight to pick up another passenger, but that did not happen to me.

As I mentioned before, I will be looking for opportunities to fly Dayjet again. It was fun and efficient.

Was there only one Dayjet at TLH Toolman? I've been by the airport recently and saw nothing to suggest there is anything more on the General Aviation side than previously.

The checkin is upstairs, and is just a tiny little counter. They weighed me and my luggage, check my DL, and I was off. There were a few DJ planes in TLH, but only one in Naples (mine). There was no counter in Naples. The pilot checked me in with a handheld computer. They were very nice and let my aunt and uncle (who dropped me off) check out the plane out on the tarmac while they were refueling.

One of their first tenants was suppose to be a car storage area. Not the type where cars are kept outside, but the type where you rent the space to park your expensive show car in an air-conditioned bay. I wonder if either of these first projects is that tenant?

T-man thank you for taking the time to give that personal detailed description of your exact experience w/Day-jet. Like I said before, I had been to their website and sort of knew how they operated, but it was much better learning about it from a first hand account. I greatly appreciate your tip about being flexible about the times you want to fly. I'll keep that in mind for sure and will possibly try and use them in the future.

TLH Traffic Drops for 4th Straight Year

• 2 weeks later...

Theres a $650, round trip, two-stop flight to London with Northwest. This is actually a better deal than anything JAX, TPA, or ORL offer. I'm not sure how this anomaly happened but I'm pleased!

Direct from TLH to MEM to where (Detroit?) To which airport in London? We were tentatively planning a trip there in Sept. Does this deal last that long?

Direct from TLH to MEM to where (Detroit?) To which airport in London? We were tentatively planning a trip there in Sept. Does this deal last that long?

Yep connection 2 is in Detriot with Heathrow as the final destination. I have no idea how long this might last but this is for May. I would check Expedia because neither Hotwire nor Travelocity offer that rate. The difference may lie in the fact that Expedia is the only site of the three that considers me a child at 18. :dontknow:

Just saw the American Airlines Ad at TDO.com

Tallahassee to Miami (Round Trip) $198!!!

Looks like we might be moving in the right direction!!!

Interesting. Im showing from Travelocity that Delta has a non stop flight to Miami at $198 also. But AA is showing at $268. No surprise that if AA is advertising that fare that Delta would come down to meet it though. Hail competition! Capitalism and free markets are working in Tallahassee...at least for now!

Interesting. Im showing from Travelocity that Delta has a non stop flight to Miami at $198 also. But AA is showing at $268. No surprise that if AA is advertising that fare that Delta would come down to meet it though. Hail competition! Capitalism and free markets are working in Tallahassee...at least for now!

gg seeya at po boys downtown at noon today :)

Ah I see the devil is up to his old tricks again. Of course my fear is that all the flying monkeys, the same monkeys that complain about TLH ticket prices, will hop on their beloved Delta to MIA and that will kill AA here in TLH and their possible expansion to ORD or DFW from here. Then we'll once again be stuck w/the Devil and his high prices. Of course that will set off the monkeys to moaning and beating their chest about high prices even though they are the ones truly at fault. Silly monkeys! :)

SPC thanks for the info, I'll check it out. I didn't realize folks 18 and under got cheaper fares? Do they?

The numbers of flights and carriers are the biggest negatives about Tallahassee IMHO. Getting to Washington, New York, Chicago takes a connection. Many morning meetings in Tallahassee must be cancelled because the later flights into Tallahassee with attendees were cancelled. It is next to impossible to leave Tallahassee for a relatively early morning meeting in Washington or most cities due to the connections. You have to go up the night before. Jacksonville's distance deters travelling there for flights. Orlando, Tampa, and Atlanta are even farther. Thus, we are captive to the limited service from Tallahassee. It is not a good situation for efficiency, growth, and appeal.

I wish that each carrier would add an additional hub. That could drastically decrease the 2 connection flights and increase the options into Tallahassee. Air Tran and Southwest would also put price pressure on Delta and the other airlines.

BTW - Why does it take such a long time to get the bags from the planes landing in TLH to baggage claim? There aren't that many bags, and the distances between the planes and baggage claim are short. Bags should be there by the time the passengers in the rear of the plane get to baggage claim.

Archived