Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

In Q1 2008, the TLH-MIA route was AA's 23rd highest-yield-per-mile route in their entire network (with a load factor of 63%). To compare, TLH-MIA was Delta's 58th highest (with a load factor of only 48%). So yes, AA won that battle.

and if any of you for whatever reason think DL is doing us any favors with their ticket prices, consider this: TLH-ATL is their 19th highest yield-per-mile route (with a load factor of 80%), with TLH-FLL is their 6th. So any public official who thinks we don't have a bargaining chip with DL is gravely mistaken. Our leaders need to not fear Delta so much. AA had more balls than all of Tallahassee's leadership combined.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

This is an off the wall question for anyone who may know (and Piedmont typically seems to know these things)...when AirTran flew here, did they use their typical 737's and 717's or did the use their regional jets (which I dont think they use anymore)?

they used the 737's and 717's

This is an off the wall question for anyone who may know (and Piedmont typically seems to know these things)...when AirTran flew here, did they use their typical 737's and 717's or did the use their regional jets (which I dont think they use anymore)?

I thought in the very very beginning they used CRJ's here before they got rid of them??? I do know that in the beginning, their planes were smaller that flew into TLH and then they switched to use the bigger ones. Forgive me, I'm not good at identifying the specific type of planes.

Based on the very valuable info. that bhNC gave us (btw thanks for that info....just curious what type of source do you use for this info?) Tally should have fought much harder to keep AirTran. We should have also lobbied them to switch the TPA routes to MCO routes or at least give us directs to MIA, not stop in TPA.

It still makes me angry when I read that the TLH-FLL route is Delta's 6th highest yield!

Oh yeah, I was in WPB reading the Sunday Post and they listed the round-trip cost of flight tickets to about 20 destinations around the US from PBI. Care to guess which city had the highest rate by $100 from PBI? And this included cities coast to coast.

Do they still print that same type of fare schedule in the paper edition Sunday Democrat? They use to when AirTran was here. It might be too embarrassing now???

When Airtran first started flying into TLH they had a commuter program called Airtran jet connect (similar to Delta connection or Northwest airlink) that was operated by wisconsin air and flew crjs. The contract was canceled early to mid of this decade and Airtran kept the routes that would be profitable to fly their 737s and 717s into such as Tallahassee.

Also i was looking at the airport website and under airport capital projects update Terminal Parking Facility was listed as a project is this a new parking deck or surface lot?

I think we may have cheered the demise of Delta at Tallahassee Regional Airport a bit too much. Word received directly to TLH airport officials today from DL management in Atlanta is that Delta is cutting ALL flying between cities in the state of Florida starting in October. This means that in addition to the TLH-MIA cut, TLH-MCO, TLH-TPA, and TLH-FLL is going bye-bye. To "make up" for the loss of intra-Florida routes, Delta will be upping TLH-ATL to 12 or 13 flights per day. Still, do they really expect people to fly all the way north to Atlanta just to get back south? You could drive it in less time.

In addition and in separate news, Gulfstream/Continental Connection is cutting TLH-PBI.

In summary, after October, the only routes left in Tallahassee will be:

Delta: TLH-ATL

Northwest: TLH-MEM

US Airways: TLH-CLT

American: TLH-MIA

Gulfstream/Co Connection: TLH-TPA

I think we may have cheered the demise of Delta at Tallahassee Regional Airport a bit too much. Word received directly to TLH airport officials today from DL management in Atlanta is that Delta is cutting ALL flying between cities in the state of Florida starting in October. This means that in addition to the TLH-MIA cut, TLH-MCO, TLH-TPA, and TLH-FLL is going bye-bye. To "make up" for the loss of intra-Florida routes, Delta will be upping TLH-ATL to 12 or 13 flights per day. Still, do they really expect people to fly all the way north to Atlanta just to get back south? You could drive it in less time.

In addition and in separate news, Gulfstream/Continental Connection is cutting TLH-PBI.

In summary, after October, the only routes left in Tallahassee will be:

Delta: TLH-ATL

Northwest: TLH-MEM

US Airways: TLH-CLT

American: TLH-MIA

Gulfstream/Co Connection: TLH-TPA

Would that open the door for AA or whoever to step up and provide those routes again? TLH is a prime example of why governments shouldnt run anything except a military.

Would that open the door for AA or whoever to step up and provide those routes again? TLH is a prime example of why governments shouldnt run anything except a military.

It's a tough call on whether those routes will be replaced. AA doesn't have that much intrastate flying except to its Miami hub, and they are already planning on doubling their TLH-MIA frequency pending aircraft availability after DL quits it in September. As for TLH-MCO and TLH-PBI, a lot of that can be replaced by businesspersons flying DayJet and students connecting through hubs. Gulfstream won't fill the gap because they have announced plans to cut routes throughout their network in the coming months.

It really seems that the days of in-state point-to-point flying are coming to an end. I long for the mid 80s when Piedmont flew those 70-seater Fokker 28 jets from TLH to just about every major FL city a few times each day.

It's a tough call on whether those routes will be replaced. AA doesn't have that much intrastate flying except to its Miami hub, and they are already planning on doubling their TLH-MIA frequency pending aircraft availability after DL quits it in September. As for TLH-MCO and TLH-PBI, a lot of that can be replaced by businesspersons flying DayJet and students connecting through hubs. Gulfstream won't fill the gap because they have announced plans to cut routes throughout their network in the coming months.

It really seems that the days of in-state point-to-point flying are coming to an end. I long for the mid 80s when Piedmont flew those 70-seater Fokker 28 jets from TLH to just about every major FL city a few times each day.

Thanks for the info, BHNC.

I would think that since this is the state capital, the in-state routes would be pretty full and popular with the airlines. Now I guess it will be better to drive unless you are going to south Florida.

Its just not Tallahassee where cut backs are being felt, but it is worldwide. The airlines still haven't figured how to make a profit with high oil prices and a weak economic environment. All major carriers worldwide will be cutting capacity by sixty million seats by Christmas. The USA has the biggest piece with over 20 million seats cut back. The article is here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/2515292/...-Christmas.html

Actually these are some very troubled times for the airlines as we move from an oil based transportation economy to alternative fuels of the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Crist trying to keep Delta in-state flights in Tallahassee

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...NGNEWS/80904019

"I've been calling the president of Delta for about four days and I finally was able to chat with him yesterday," said Crist. "He was very gracious and I said we really would like to continue to have this service. It's important to our state, it's important to our economy. But I think it's good to have a couple in play so I called Southwest, too."

Crist trying to keep Delta in-state flights in Tallahassee

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...NGNEWS/80904019

"I've been calling the president of Delta for about four days and I finally was able to chat with him yesterday," said Crist. "He was very gracious and I said we really would like to continue to have this service. It's important to our state, it's important to our economy. But I think it's good to have a couple in play so I called Southwest, too."

Good for Crist. He should have called AirTran too. I think they tend to serve this size market more than Southwest does. But if we lose Delta to Tampa, its not like average Tallahassee citizens are really going to be losing anything because how many families of 4 are going to pay $300-400+ per ticket to fly to Tampa when its a 3 1/2 hour drive?

Finally someone with real political clout vouching for our airport. Southwest would be a godsend, especially because, as you say GG they don't seem to serve markets our size very often. Conversely, the actual airports Southwest flies into are often secondary (i.e. less congested) to the larger international airports of said markets, so we may have that going in our favor. :dontknow:

Finally someone with real political clout vouching for our airport. Southwest would be a godsend, especially because, as you say GG they don't seem to serve markets our size very often. Conversely, the actual airports Southwest flies into are often secondary (i.e. less congested) to the larger international airports of said markets, so we may have that going in our favor. :dontknow:

SPC, Im not sure about what Southwest's criteria are. You are right, they do fly to secondary markets, but I think they more focus on secondary airports in larger cities (Chicago-Midway, BWI, Bob Hope, etc). Thats not to say they wouldnt come here, but I think AirTran would be more willing to deal again, especially since they now have the HQ in Florida down at Orlando International. Even if its like Pensacola...maybe just serve TLH-ATL and TLH to either Orlando or Tampa...to connect TLH to Central Florida.

Maybe Crist could appoint one of their execs to an Airport Authority Board in Florida in exchange for cheap fares to TLH :thumbsup:

1042170kb7.jpg

I'm glad Crist is at least addressing this situation. I'm not sure how much good it will do considering all the problems and seat cut backs that the airlines are doing, but at least he's will to try something. I'm glad he called Delta, but I'd rather someone else cover those routes. SW would be terrific, but I believe they may have their sights set on the new PC airport. That would put them in a central location in the P'handle and draw folks from PNS to TLH up to DHN. Tally isn't situated as well geographically, but it does have a much higher demand for in-state service, so we'll see.

I'm always surprised that SW flies to Jackson, Miss. Their metro is about 100k larger than ours. They aren't really a secondary market to anyone especially since SW flies to B'ham and NOLA. Jackson airports handles about 1.4 million passengers a year. TLH was just a little lower than those numbers in the AT years. Also Jackson is served by the same airlines as TLH plus just SW. However the affect SW can have on an airport is huge. I'm sure it raises Jackson's total passengers numbers and lowers their airfare prices. Plus look at how it divides their airline market shares. I'd love to see this same table for TLH.

Courting AT again would be great. Just give us the MCO flights along w/the ATL ones and not the TPA. That was one of the problems in the first place IMHO.

Finally GG I'm glad to see someone state the drive to TPA is approx. 3.5 hours. Most folks I know here say it takes them 4 to 5 hours and I always think.."what are they doing, stopping every 15 minutes?"

Remember that we'll still have Gulfstream International/Continental Connection to TPA, so that seems sufficient for that route. I still don't know why people would fly it since it's such a short drive. PBI and FLL can be sacrificed since AA still flies the TLH-MIA route. All that leaves is MCO. The one point in favor of Southwest is that they have the largest intra-Florida route network currently in operation. While it may not seem intuitive that they would fly into a city as small as Tallahassee, keep in mind that in TX (where they were founded), they still fly into almost every airport of any significance. Ditto in California. With all the other airlines dropping intra-Florida routes, Southwest may see this as a good opportunity to do in FL what they've already been doing locally in those two other states.

Btw, here's a snippet from what Tampa people are doing on their end to help things out:

"Tampa International officials are lobbying American Airlines and US Airways to fly the route with their commuter carriers. They're also asking Gulfstream International of Fort Lauderdale, which flies as Continental Connection, to add to its five daily flights to Tallahassee. Gulfstream now plans to trim one daily flight in November. "

Piedmont or BlueHeron,

While out running tonight, I saw a Delta 737 on approach and wondered if they were still using that plane regularly, or if it is just seasonal? It always makes an airport feel more legitimate when you see jets coming in and out with engines on their wings!

Unfortunately, no. The usual schedule is for two MD-88s daily, with the rest being regional jets. I miss the days when Delta saturated the market with 9-10 737-800s daily with all leather seats and better-than-normal legroom to drive out AirTran...well, maybe I don't miss those days.

Piedmont or BlueHeron,

While out running tonight, I saw a Delta 737 on approach and wondered if they were still using that plane regularly, or if it is just seasonal? It always makes an airport feel more legitimate when you see jets coming in and out with engines on their wings!

1192925eh1.jpg

Yea, Delta occasionally flies in 737s at times of higher passenger demand but usually only MD-88s. Who knows with Delta stopping inter florida routes and the merger with North West could make enough passengers to fly 737s and 757s into Tallahassee instead of the crjs and MD-88s.

Archived