Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

Just out of curiosity............what are the largest jets that can be flown into TLH? Do they have capacity for 747s or even 777s? I know those planes will NEVER come to Tally, but was just wondering for emergency purposes.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just out of curiosity............what are the largest jets that can be flown into TLH? Do they have capacity for 747s or even 777s? I know those planes will NEVER come to Tally, but was just wondering for emergency purposes.

Air Force One (a 747) has landed at TLH once or twice.

Piedmont,

Ive been booking a couple of flights today, and noticed that Delta is flying MD-88's out of TLH to Atlanta. Do they typically do this? I know I see CRJ's here all the time, but also know that they look similar to the MD-88 to us jet novices. Thanks in advance!

Piedmont,

Ive been booking a couple of flights today, and noticed that Delta is flying MD-88's out of TLH to Atlanta. Do they typically do this? I know I see CRJ's here all the time, but also know that they look similar to the MD-88 to us jet novices. Thanks in advance!

Yes it is typical, I have flown into Tallahassee myself on a MD-88 from Atlanta and Delta mainly operates MD-88 flights into Tallahassee from Atlanta with a few crjs daily. Delta uses the MD-88 extensively through their fleet of 117 to domestic midsize destinations that are short or medium haul. The MD-88 is commonly mistaken for a crj but Delta MD-88s holds 142 people, about 100 more than the average 50 seater crj. The only good way to distinguish a MD-88 from a crj is by looking at the cockpit and the nose of the aircraft but the engines are much larger than one of a crj. Also the MD-88 has a wider body with a 3-2 seating configuration and first class service.

American Airlines also operates many aircraft in the MD-80 series with over 340 in their fleet.

When I read back on my post I realizes I was not very specific on what on the nose and cockpit was different. On the MD-88 the nose is round while on any crj the nose is pointed. Also on the cockpit windows the MD-88 has an eyebrow (One window pane on the side that is one pane higher than all the rest) while crjs have no eyebrows. One other noticeable difference is on the back of the engines, the crj has metal at the end of the engine past the cover and the MD-88 engine is completely enclosed by a cover.

cl-crj-700sa.jpgIMG_0584.jpg

On the Mesa note I found this information:

Arkansas

El Dorado [service ends June 30, 2008]

Harrison [service ends June 30, 2008]

Hot Springs [service ends June 30, 2008]

Jonesboro [service ends June 30, 2008]

Texas

Dallas [service ends June 30, 2008]

Perhaps the ending of these routes is freeing up planes for Tallahassee. Any more info on Mesa you know of TD?

When I read back on my post I realizes I was not very specific on what on the nose and cockpit was different. On the MD-88 the nose is round while on any crj the nose is pointed. Also on the cockpit windows the MD-88 has an eyebrow (One window pane on the side that is one pane higher than all the rest) while crjs have no eyebrows. One other noticeable difference is on the back of the engines, the crj has metal at the end of the engine past the cover and the MD-88 engine is completely enclosed by a cover.

cl-crj-700sa.jpgIMG_0584.jpg

On the Mesa note I found this information:

Arkansas

El Dorado [service ends June 30, 2008]

Harrison [service ends June 30, 2008]

Hot Springs [service ends June 30, 2008]

Jonesboro [service ends June 30, 2008]

Texas

Dallas [service ends June 30, 2008]

Perhaps the ending of these routes is freeing up planes for Tallahassee. Any more info on Mesa you know of TD?

Thanks for the info, PA. I was driving out near the airport yesterday, and saw a FedEx (what I think was a) DC-10 coming in on approach, and as soon as it dipped below the tree line I saw it shooting back up at a steep angle...I wasnt close enough to the airport to see if there was something on the runway, or whether he overshot though. But stuff like that is why GG is still a little scared of flying haha.

I was driving out near the airport yesterday, and saw a FedEx (what I think was a) DC-10 coming in on approach, and as soon as it dipped below the tree line I saw it shooting back up at a steep angle...I wasnt close enough to the airport to see if there was something on the runway, or whether he overshot though. But stuff like that is why GG is still a little scared of flying haha.

That same plane flew over Southwood at a very low altitude 4 times. I thought to myself, hey something is wrong with this plane. The landing gear was down on all 4 passes. I then tracked it on this site:

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KTLH

And found it came from Mobile and kept circling then headed back to Mobile. Whether it was flight practice or an issue with the plane I don't know.

fedex.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

^Ah man I was afraid something like this was going to happen. Sad to read this especially since we'll lose over 250 departures a month w/their pull-out plus a hub city. Delta still flies to TPA doesn't it? But there goes to the PBI flights again.

^ Yes, we still have the Tampa/Tallahassee flight via Delta (by Atlantic Southeast).

It's a shame we're losing a carrier. This may be a good opportunity for an AirTran or someone to sneak back in to TLH. Pensacola has daily flights to Atlanta on AirTran, it would be great to at least have that option. Although, Tallahassee/Orlando, Tampa, etc would be even better!

Suprised this hasn't been posted yet. Saw it in USA Today this morning. Notice which city is listed at the top of the chart at the bottom of the article: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/200...ways-fees_N.htm <_<

Well, apparently Continental is not completely pulling out of TLH. Todays paper says otherwise: http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0316/1003/RSS02.

Dang scubaboy, that is much better info than what we heard from USA Today and both are owned by Gannett. While I'm sad to see us lose a hub (Houston) I'm glad Continental is keeping a presence out at TLH and that they will continue to fly to PBI and TPA.

I am confused, will Houston no longer be a hub for Continental at all?

Dang scubaboy, that is much better info than what we heard from USA Today and both are owned by Gannett. While I'm sad to see us lose a hub (Houston) I'm glad Continental is keeping a presence out at TLH and that they will continue to fly to PBI and TPA.

I don't know much about IAH, but I know that Continental seems to have a big showing there. On a side note, I flew into IAH about a month or so ago, arrived in Concourse C and had to get over to Concourse B to catch my other Continental flight out. I have to say that the Continental gates on Concourse B need some help. It just seemed old and cramped.

Thats the way I originally read it to, Poonther. But after reading it a few times (because it wasnt well written), I take it to mean all Continental Express Jet service to Houston is being cut. I just cant imagine a major airline shutting down its main hub to all flights. I could be wrong though

In other news TLH news...

Airport Receives Perfect Inspection from FAA

"Fourth Consecutive Year With no Discrepancies - Earlier this week the Tallahassee Regional Airport completed its annual Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Airport Certification Inspection. During this inspection, Tallahassee Regional Airport staff demonstrated compliance with the standards necessary to maintain its federal "Airport Operating Certificate." This is the fourth consecutive year that the Airport has not received any discrepancies during the FAA's annual inspection.

Each year the Federal Aviation Administration inspects commercial service airports over a two-day period. Items reviewed during the inspection include Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting (ARFF) Operations, Runway and Taxiway Paved Areas, Marking, Signs and Lighting, Airport Emergency Plan, self-inspection program, and personnel training records.

"The Airport is extremely proud of this accomplishment and remains committed to ensuring the highest levels of safety and security for our patrons, visitors and tenants," said David Pollard, Superintendent of Airport Operations.

The Tallahassee Regional Airport is operated and maintained by the City of Tallahassee. The Airport is served by five major airlines and sustains approximately 100 daily flights including nonstop service to Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Memphis and Miami, along with other key Florida cities. It also offers a full array of general aviation services for private and corporate aircraft. For more information on the Airport, please visit FlyTallahassee.com, Talgov.com or call 891-7802.

Jim Durwin, Airport Operations, 891-7818; or Bill Behenna, Communications Department, 891-8533"

Now wouldnt it be great if the powers that run TLH could lure a low-cost carrier with no discrepencies?

070821airtran73770002ih6.jpg

cough, cough.

Thats the way I originally read it to, Poonther. But after reading it a few times (because it wasnt well written), I take it to mean all Continental Express Jet service to Houston is being cut. I just cant imagine a major airline shutting down its main hub to all flights. I could be wrong though

Cutting Continental Express Jets to Houston makes much more sense than losing its hub status! Is Houston their main hub? For some reason I thought it was Newark????

However this does stink for TLH's Western connections. With Houston gone and soon Memphis (I'm thinking b/c of the Delta Merger) that only leaves us the hubs of ATL and CLT, none of which are west of here. :(

Cutting Continental Express Jets to Houston makes much more sense than losing its hub status! Is Houston their main hub? For some reason I thought it was Newark????

However this does stink for TLH's Western connections. With Houston gone and soon Memphis (I'm thinking b/c of the Delta Merger) that only leaves us the hubs of ATL and CLT, none of which are west of here. :(

You're right Poonther. Newark is their actual hub. That should have said, "a main hub like Houston." Thanks for catching that!

• 4 weeks later...

Delta has announced that they will be discontinuing their flights from Tallahassee to Miami effective September 2nd. This is SHOCKING news considering how just a year ago, internal word had it that TLH-MIA was one of Delta's most profitable Southeast routings (lots of high-yield business travelers, etc.). Could it be that for once, an airline (in this case American Eagle) has come in and won the battle against mighty Delta? American Eagle will now be the only airline in Tallahassee servicing the TLH-MIA route. It makes sense if you consider that most travelers on that route originate in Miami, and American's brand/frequent flier loyalty is high there because Miami is an American hub. I'm not surprised that business people from Miami jumped on the opportunity to switch to their "hometown" airline.

This is actually great news for Miami and Tallahassee. This could assure us that we will survive the next round of cuts from American. It is also good that demand from Miami is driving this.

Hopefully, American will step in and get us our Western route through Dallas/Fort Worth once Northwest and Continental cease their flights to Memphis and Houston.

Good to see you again SD and great points you bring up. I definitely hope that happens w/American and DFW since like you say we are losing Houston and probably MEM in the future.

bhnc, I love nothing more than Delta seeing getting beat at their own game! :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

bhnc, I love nothing more than Delta seeing getting beat at their own game! :yahoo:

Me too! Along with the other routes you mentioned, Poonther, maybe AA will decide to go head to head with Delta with direct regional routes to Orlando and Tampa. Once you beat someone the first time, it becomes easier and easier to do it again.

Archived