Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, that's the third or fourth time we've had the United question. I really wish they'd show those flights as United/USAirways as to stop the possible confusion.

PA, I agree w/you about getting a discount airline in here, as a matter of fact I'm sure we all agree w/you on that one. Then we'll just need to train the "general population" to use it and not hop on "The Demon's " flights that miraculously fell 50% in price the day the competition came to town. I understand what you are saying about Delta as far as TLH goes, but hey even most abusive parents feed and clothe their kids.

I wish we had an airport authority that ran the airport and not the City Commission. I mean how qualified are they personally to understand the functions of an airport? But I'm sure if they did approve an airport authority they'd just appoint their friend and relatives w/no experience either. I say this b/c yesterday I found out that the chairman of the DIA (downtown improvement authority) who neither works or lives downtown is the BIL of Commissioner Desloge. :(

FL I noticed that the January numbers were AWFUL too. I emailed the folks over at the airport about 2 weeks ago to see if those numbers were a mistake. I did so b/c the reported 11.07 numbers were a mistake and they corrected them b/c of my email. Anyway, they must be true b/c I never heard back from the "good folks" at TLH.

As far as no Delta or boycotting Delta, I'm afraid that's impossible. I mean how else would we get to heaven? (Please someone else tell them they've heard that old southern joke???)

Man, that's the third or fourth time we've had the United question. I really wish they'd show those flights as United/USAirways as to stop the possible confusion.

PA, I agree w/you about getting a discount airline in here, as a matter of fact I'm sure we all agree w/you on that one. Then we'll just need to train the "general population" to use it and not hop on "The Demon's " flights that miraculously fell 50% in price the day the competition came to town. I understand what you are saying about Delta as far as TLH goes, but hey even most abusive parents feed and clothe their kids.

I wish we had an airport authority that ran the airport and not the City Commission. I mean how qualified are they personally to understand the functions of an airport? But I'm sure if they did approve an airport authority they'd just appoint their friend and relatives w/no experience either. I say this b/c yesterday I found out that the chairman of the DIA (downtown improvement authority) who neither works or lives downtown is the BIL of Commissioner Desloge. :(

FL I noticed that the January numbers were AWFUL too. I emailed the folks over at the airport about 2 weeks ago to see if those numbers were a mistake. I did so b/c the reported 11.07 numbers were a mistake and they corrected them b/c of my email. Anyway, they must be true b/c I never heard back from the "good folks" at TLH.

As far as no Delta or boycotting Delta, I'm afraid that's impossible. I mean how else would we get to heaven? (Please someone else tell them they've heard that old southern joke???)

I have poon, if your flying to hell or High heaven you have to connect on delta through atlanta in the south.

I have poon, if your flying to hell or High heaven you have to connect on delta through atlanta in the south.

Good to know TD. I wasn't sure if that saying was never used anymore or if it was just an Alabama thing. Often times I'll repeat that line to friends etc. and they'll just look at me w/a blank stare. Of course the problem may be that many of them were not born in the South.

The Downward Trend Continues at TLH:

January

2008: 66,063 passengers

down 4.1% from the same time last year, 24.1% since 2005.

2007: 68,884

2006: 74,840

2005: 87,020

I know if this was my productivity trend on my job, the bosses would be making a case for my replacement.

An airport authority could run any airport allot better than a city commission. This really shouldn

1) Man, that's the third or fourth time we've had the United question. I really wish they'd show those flights as United/USAirways as to stop the possible confusion.

2) I say this b/c yesterday I found out that the chairman of the DIA (downtown improvement authority) who neither works or lives downtown is the BIL of Commissioner Desloge. :(

3) As far as no Delta or boycotting Delta, I'm afraid that's impossible. I mean how else would we get to heaven? (Please someone else tell them they've heard that old southern joke???)

1) I agree...it is always so confusing! I hear people at work getting all excited when they see this "misrepresentation" and then they get all bummed out when I tell them the "real story".

2) Now I'm all bummed out hearing this news, poonther. :( I was really hoping we could break this cycle with our newest Commissioners...Desloge & Dailey.

3) Ha! :D You're not alone....I've heard this "Southern Joke" all my life. You're right though, so many people just give you a strange look when you say this nowadays.

• 1 month later...

Delta, Northwest Announce Merger

Worlds Largest Airliner Currently Serves Tallahassee Regional Airport

1342888uk6.jpg

(Picture Courtesy of Agustin Anaya at www.Airliners.net)

http://www.foxbusiness.com/article/delta-n...r_559987_1.html

Theoretically, the consolidation/merger of these two airlines should lower fares. However, since both airlines fly minimal routes to and from Tallahassee, Im not sure we will see a difference. The $17.7 billion dollar company will fly under Delta's name, and will be based in Atlanta. Impact to Tallahassee's flight schedule is unknown at the time.

In related news, United and Continental have been rumored to be in talks about benefits of a merger as well.

Delta, Northwest Announce Merger

Worlds Largest Airliner Currently Serves Tallahassee Regional Airport

1342888uk6.jpg

(Picture Courtesy of Agustin Anaya at www.Airliners.net)

http://www.foxbusiness.com/article/delta-n...r_559987_1.html

Theoretically, the consolidation/merger of these two airlines should lower fares. However, since both airlines fly minimal routes to and from Tallahassee, Im not sure we will see a difference. The $17.7 billion dollar company will fly under Delta's name, and will be based in Atlanta. Impact to Tallahassee's flight schedule is unknown at the time.

In related news, United and Continental have been rumored to be in talks about benefits of a merger as well.

Uh oh... less competition!

^Yeah I don't see this as being a positive thing for TLH. Eventually I think it will lead to one less city for us to fly into...MEM...hopefully I'm wrong about that. I too don't think it will have any impact in lowering cost out of TLH, I just hope it doesn't increase them. Plus this means we'll be even more dependent on ATL. If the day comes and they drop MEM as a hub, I hope they at least give us another flight or two daily to ATL to make up for it.

Now the Continental/United merger I would think would bode much better for TLH and eventually give us that direct flight to ORD. But you never know.

^SPC should this deal go through MEM will probably become a focus city of Delta and not a hub. It seems that Cincy and MEM have the most to loose in this proposed merger since ATL and Detroit are the big hubs of Delta and NW respectively.

If there are no more connections in MEM or very limited ones, there would really be no reason for direct flights from TLH to MEM. I seriously doubt the demand between both cities is enough for a point-to-point flight. The main demand at TLH for non-hub direct flights seems to be to other FL cities and that's understandable. I've always thought another direct to DC could work here. All out of state flights from TLH are to hubs. If MEM ceases to be a hub, I'd rather see us gain another hub city like DFW or Chicago (better connects to the West) than remain point-to-point w/MEM and limited connecting options.

Do you see it a different way?

^

As a matter of fact I totally agree with you. Coincidentally, the only reason I'm going through Memphis in a couple of weeks is as a connecting flight to Detroit, then onwards to Heathrow. However, do you think it would be possible for us to in turn pick up a direct flight to Detroit (if we don't already)? Also, does this mean all NWA planes now fly under Delta liveries as well?

Tallahassee Regional Airport Welcomes FedEx to New Facility

The Tallahassee Regional Airport announced that FedEx is now operating from its new cargo facility. The newly expanded facility, formerly located on the west side of the Airport complex, is now conveniently located with the Airport's other cargo operations located on the eastern side of the Airport complex. The completion of the new facility was a collaborative effort between the City of Tallahassee, Tallahassee Regional Airport, TAC Tallahassee and FedEx over the past two years.

This construction project is part of the Airport's improved and expanded $12 million Cargo Complex. TAC Tallahassee, a division of Titan Development Corporation of Rochester, MN, constructed the new 22,000-square foot facility for FedEx, costing approximately $3 million. The new facility features an expanded package sorting area, new spaces for aircrew and ground employees, a vehicle and equipment maintenance area, customer service counter and a much larger facility compared to the former 6,000 square foot operation. In addition to the new FedEx facility, the complex includes a new aircraft-parking apron east of the Ivan Munroe Terminal, new cargo road with enhancements to Capital Circle Southwest, and incorporates the existing Airline Cargo Building.

FedEx has been an Airport tenant for over 25 years and has a workforce of over 50 employees at its Airport location. This is FedEx's second facility expansion at Tallahassee Regional Airport over the past eight years. Now that this transition is complete, the former FedEx facility will be demolished in preparation for future Airport growth.

Source: City of Tallahassee Communications Department

^SPC when do you fly out to the UK? If next month, I doubt you'll notice any changes to NWA even if the merger does go through by then. I've noticed that some USAirway flights, especially out west, they still fly planes w/the America West designs on them and that merger took place how long ago?

I'm sure someone like SkyDave is more knowledge of this type of information. Hopefully he'll drop by soon and give us his thoughts on the merger and how he thinks it will affect TLH.

SPC are you going on a group tour or just w/friends/family? Take some notes, I'm hoping to go this fall.

^

I'm going on the first of May. I didn't really expect to see any noticeable difference but I've never flown Northwest and will have no previous experience to compare it to. I think when I fly out, it will be the first day of NWA operations to Heathrow due to the new Open Skies agreement or whatever it was called. Should be interesting to see if Heathrow's famous delays are compounded by this. I'm actually going it alone though I may see a friend of mine who is coincedentally going to London at the same time. I'll be taking plenty of pictures as well and will probably post them in an Off Topic thread.

^Yeah I don't see this as being a positive thing for TLH. Eventually I think it will lead to one less city for us to fly into...MEM...hopefully I'm wrong about that. I too don't think it will have any impact in lowering cost out of TLH, I just hope it doesn't increase them. Plus this means we'll be even more dependent on ATL. If the day comes and they drop MEM as a hub, I hope they at least give us another flight or two daily to ATL to make up for it.

Why would they drop Memphis? Even if it ceases to be NWA/Delta's hub, which I hope will not come to pass, wouldn't they still fly there if it was profitable. Just wondering.

The merger between Delta and Northwest definitely wont be positive for TLH. The merger will result in a loss of the Memphis route because it is the closest northwest hub and after the merger it will most likely be downgraded to a focus city. The route to Memphis provides northwest customers to connecting flights around the nation but the merger will make Atlanta a larger airport with more connections and ending the flight to Memphis because they will be routed through Atlanta.

What will be interesting to see is how Delta makes the change of more passengers. I would guess that since their are many flights to Atlanta from THL they would replace some of the regional flights with MD-88 flights. On positive thing that could come out of the merger would be if Delta would fly 737's into the airport again to accommodate for the influx of passenger demand instead of adding MD-88 flights.

^I agree....you'll probably gain a couple of extra flights to Atlanta out of this, and Memphis will probably be going away. Barry, is that you?

south park - Hope you have a great trip. You will certainly get a kick out of the Northwest terminal in Detroit. It's very space agey.........

I believe once the reorganization is complete we will gain additional flights to ATL and possibly more flights to Houston on Continental for westward travelers. If the proposed United/Continental merger goes through we could be in great shape to pick up a direct flight to Chicago.

What we really need is a "Manhattan Project" for rail travel. It is incredible that the Japanese and Europeans continue to lead the way in passenger rail travel. With airline consolidation, we are looking at higher prices for the bigger markets and a loss of air travel for small to medium markets. If you want to fly you will have to travel to nearest large metro. That's not good. The American people need choices. 21st century rail travel is what is needed IMHO.

What do you all think????

^

I believe I read somewhere that for trips of 300 miles or less, High Speed Rail travel is quicker and more economical. However, the significance of 300 miles between major metros in the U.S. depends largely on what part of the country you are traveling through. Rail would make sense in the Northeast for sure, and perhaps parts of the Midwest. The reason HSR is as extensive as it is in Europe and Japan is because these areas are densely populated like our Northeast. I will say I'm surprised we have hardly any HSR in place.

^

I believe I read somewhere that for trips of 300 miles or less, High Speed Rail travel is quicker and more economical. However, the significance of 300 miles between major metros in the U.S. depends largely on what part of the country you are traveling through. Rail would make sense in the Northeast for sure, and perhaps parts of the Midwest. The reason HSR is as extensive as it is in Europe and Japan is because these areas are densely populated like our Northeast. I will say I'm surprised we have hardly any HSR in place.

Surprised? Tell your friends at Gm and Ford. They were battin' that Eisenhower would sign the National Defense Highway act of 1956.

Archived