Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

Yeah looks like they will fall about 50K short of last year. Things did get a little better during the last quarter of this year, but not by much.

In your analogy, I'd be for #1 in both categories, however I'd do it by bringing in an independent team to run the airport and base their pay on passenger and flight increases.

I agree with poonther, I would add that an independent board be charged with recruiting cargo and freight or transportation related businesses to help make it an international jetport gateway. I believe a business case can be made for developing Tallahassee as Florida's number one transportation hub. We are Florida's closest gateway to all of Mid and Eastern America. No other Florida city can boast of our unique location in combination of railway and air and trucking potentials.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fuel providers at odds over airport lease

Eagle Aircraft seeks city OK to become FBO

When the Tallahassee City Commission decides tonight if there will be a second fixed-base operator (FBO) at Tallahassee Regional Airport, the choice will come with long-term ramifications.

At issue is whether the commission will approve a staff-recommended lease with Eagle Aircraft Group, LLC. Eagle now provides mechanical and repair services from a shop at the airport, but for two years has been negotiating a lease with Tallahassee to become a full-service FBO, its managers said. That means expanding to offer fuel.

Eagle wants to offer the fuel service immediately, even as it gets under way with construction required by the city lease. Mac and Danny Langston, owners of the Flightline Group, the only full-service FBO at the airport now, have objected. "Our concern is not anyone coming out here to set up an FBO," Mac Langston said Tuesday. "Our concern is the interim period."

"We're not afraid of competition," Danny Langston said. "This is a public airport. We understand that. We're puzzled as to the need to add a second FBO by waiving minimum requirements." In fact, the Langstons feel so strongly about the issue of waiving the requirements, they have said entering the lease "brings into question our ability to continue to invest at this airport."

"Until recently our plans have been to build the first HondaJet Dealership and to locate our corporate offices for our east coast HondaJet operations here in Tallahassee," Mac Langston wrote in a letter addressed to members of the Tallahassee/Leon County Economic Development Council last week and circulated among city staff members. "That, as well as our desire to continue to invest in Tallahassee, has been jeopardized by actions by the city that undermine our core business and cause concern as to how the city conducts business."

Eagle is eager to finalize the lease. "We've been waiting two years for this," said Steven Leoni, a principal in Eagle LLC.

Source: Tallahassee.com

Fuel providers at odds over airport lease

Eagle Aircraft seeks city OK to become FBO

When the Tallahassee City Commission decides tonight if there will be a second fixed-base operator (FBO) at Tallahassee Regional Airport, the choice will come with long-term ramifications.

At issue is whether the commission will approve a staff-recommended lease with Eagle Aircraft Group, LLC. Eagle now provides mechanical and repair services from a shop at the airport, but for two years has been negotiating a lease with Tallahassee to become a full-service FBO, its managers said. That means expanding to offer fuel.

Eagle wants to offer the fuel service immediately, even as it gets under way with construction required by the city lease. Mac and Danny Langston, owners of the Flightline Group, the only full-service FBO at the airport now, have objected. "Our concern is not anyone coming out here to set up an FBO," Mac Langston said Tuesday. "Our concern is the interim period."

"We're not afraid of competition," Danny Langston said. "This is a public airport. We understand that. We're puzzled as to the need to add a second FBO by waiving minimum requirements." In fact, the Langstons feel so strongly about the issue of waiving the requirements, they have said entering the lease "brings into question our ability to continue to invest at this airport."

"Until recently our plans have been to build the first HondaJet Dealership and to locate our corporate offices for our east coast HondaJet operations here in Tallahassee," Mac Langston wrote in a letter addressed to members of the Tallahassee/Leon County Economic Development Council last week and circulated among city staff members. "That, as well as our desire to continue to invest in Tallahassee, has been jeopardized by actions by the city that undermine our core business and cause concern as to how the city conducts business."

Eagle is eager to finalize the lease. "We've been waiting two years for this," said Steven Leoni, a principal in Eagle LLC.

Source: Tallahassee.com

Whoa now this sounds like extremely bad business. Unsure of their continued interest in the airport? I think its obvious they're just trying to continue their little fuel monopoly on the General Aviation side and they're just trying to bully the City. I can almost hear the pouty child when he stated that he was gonna put his regional sales office here. I haven't seen any progress on that subject....I think the City should call their bluff and grant the permission to Eagle anyways. Flightline isn't going to bar themselves from any opportunity to make money, even if it is a little less. <_<

Whoa now this sounds like extremely bad business. Unsure of their continued interest in the airport? I think its obvious they're just trying to continue their little fuel monopoly on the General Aviation side and they're just trying to bully the City. I can almost hear the pouty child when he stated that he was gonna put his regional sales office here. I haven't seen any progress on that subject....I think the City should call their bluff and grant the permission to Eagle anyways. Flightline isn't going to bar themselves from any opportunity to make money, even if it is a little less. <_<

SPC, you hit the nail on the head. I got the same impression after having read the article.

Originally published January 12, 2008

Eagle Aircraft set to come to Tallahassee airport

The Tallahassee City Commission cleared the way this week for a second fixed-base operator (FBO) at Tallahassee Regional Airport.

But the vote finalizing the deal with Eagle Aircraft Group LLC comes with strings attached. Eagle cannot add aircraft fuel service until construction is under way for a fuel farm, a series of underground fuel storage tanks.

In addition, the temporary fuel service provided by tanker trucks must end no later than six months after it begins. The deal still requires Eagle to provide a minimum of $4.5 million in facilities and equipment, including construction of a new general aviation terminal, new hangar and the 140,000-gallon fuel storage system. By the end of the first two years Eagle would have to conform to all standards.

In the meantime, the company will pay a minimum guaranteed annual lease payment of $88,894 in addition to a ground lease of 75,000 square feet (or enough for a fleet of 30 private airplanes). Thereafter, lease payments also will include a percentage of fuel sales.

Source: TDO.com

I just got off the phone with Southwest Airlines. I submitted a request for them to consider Tallahassee as a new city to serve and I feel I pleaded our case well. The person I spoke with was very kind and took notes for everything I said. I'd recommend others do the same. There's strength in numbers.

2008 is my more action, less talk year.

What did you tell them exactly? I'm just afraid that the whole AirTran/Delta fiasco will scare them off. :(

I told them that I've flown their airlines a few times and that I'm curious to know what their criteria is for selecting a new city to serve. I made them aware of the fact that Tallahassee's fares are extraordinarily high due to a lack of competition amongst the airlines that serve us. I told them about Airtran and how Tallahassee subsidized their entry into our market, how their competitive prices increased passenger traffic at our airport and caused Delta to lower its fares. I suggested that Delta's actions drew customers away from Airtran, and forced Airtran out of the market. They seemed to be very familiar with that line and told me that Delta and other airlines have done that in certain markets to maintain their dominance. She seemed to understand my point, the chemistry of the conversation was nice, and she left me with a feeling that I'll hear back from them.

it seemed like more than normal small jet traffic today. During my lunch hour i saw at least 6 jets pass quite low and loudly. Not so loud that i might complain, but loud enough i counted the passings! They had two engines mounted on the back. Maybe just someone practicing landing and take-offs. You never know in tallahassee.

it seemed like more than normal small jet traffic today. During my lunch hour i saw at least 6 jets pass quite low and loudly. Not so loud that i might complain, but loud enough i counted the passings! They had two engines mounted on the back. Maybe just someone practicing landing and take-offs. You never know in tallahassee.

probably Day jet traffic also

Doh, that was harsh FL! :huh:

And that was "harsh" too Rachiroo since you just added 20 years to FL's age. :)

I can sympathize w/GG about Thompson b/c my brother was also a big supporter of him and is upset he dropped out.

2012? Maybe, how old is Thompson now?

Sorry FL, I know this chat should continue in the political thread.

And that was "harsh" too Rachiroo since you just added 20 years to FL's age. :)

I can sympathize w/GG about Thompson b/c my brother was also a big supporter of him and is upset he dropped out.

2012? Maybe, how old is Thompson now?

Sorry FL, I know this chat should continue in the political thread.

Shucks I thought I was going to have to bring out the "NAZI man". :offtopic:

I've not see a DayJet in person... they fly from the General Avation port don't they?

Oh yes... and just a side thought, If the Good Lord blesses me to reach your age Poonther, I hope I can become as sharp as you are. You make some of us "young folk" look rusty.

When is the Thompson campaign coming to town? :P

He's out of the Presidential race...but he's certainly not out of the election, so Ive heard.

The writing was on the wall, we all kind of knew it was coming. Now the question is, who should GG support?

Is he going to be at the Capitol?

I dont think so, but Im not sure. His wife Cindy was at Urbane yesterday on Park Ave, and he was supposed to be at one of the hangars at TLH today along with Sen. Warner from VA.

:offtopic: To bring us back to the discussion on TLH; on Talgov the Tallahassee Regional Airport's - 2007 Year in Review (PDF) has been posted. There is some really interesting stuff in it, I for one would love to see all of the Total Capital Program completed this year if possible.

TLH 2007 Year in Review

Thanks for posting matt, saw that the other day.

• 2 weeks later...

Im getting all psyched up about American Eagle joining our airport!

According to my friend who works security at the airport, construction has started landside on the ticket counter where AE will eventually occupy.

Also he says that construction has started behind the scenes on the baggage belts that will whisk your bags safely from the counter to the aircraft :)

Archived