Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

The reason HSR is as extensive as it is in Europe and Japan is because these areas are densely populated like our Northeast. I will say I'm surprised we have hardly any HSR in place.

IMHO, HSR should be on the agenda for the new American infrastructure improvements. All the presidential candidates are talking about the need to improve infrastructure but they often fail to mention the need to develop economical rail travel as a viable alternative to air travel. A case could be made that HSR is also less polluting and it helps the environment.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe once the reorganization is complete we will gain additional flights to ATL and possibly more flights to Houston on Continental for westward travelers. If the proposed United/Continental merger goes through we could be in great shape to pick up a direct flight to Chicago.

I didn't think about additional flights to Houston via Continental SD, that would definitely be a plus in my book when flying west of the Mississippi.

Thanks to the input by johnatl and P.A. Their post illustrate the point I like about this message board, it connects Tally to other areas and often people from those areas will drop by and give their 2 cents on a local situation. I think that can only be a positive thing.

As far as rail goes, I often wish we had high speed rail in FL. I'd use it for my trips to South FL and Orlando and Tampa and often think about it when I am going that way. By the time you get to the airport early for security, then often the flight can be delayed, you could have made it to TLH via a train in about the same amount of time. Of course they'd have to limit the stops...say one every 100 miles or so and they'd need to run them on schedule.

^ I would also use rail for my many trips around Florida, or around the Southeast for that matter, if it were available & reliable. Like you poonther, by the time you get to the airport early to park, go through screening, delays, etc. you could already be there on rail in most cases. That's why I almost exclusively drive anywhere I go now within 500 miles or so of Tallahassee. Rail sure would be a nice alternative because we're not going to be seeing the airfares go down.

^ I would also use rail for my many trips around Florida, or around the Southeast for that matter, if it were available & reliable. Like you poonther, by the time you get to the airport early to park, go through screening, delays, etc. you could already be there on rail in most cases. That's why I almost exclusively drive anywhere I go now within 500 miles or so of Tallahassee. Rail sure would be a nice alternative because we're not going to be seeing the airfares go down.

drive? hmm you sure arent cutting costs.

URBAN PLANET TALLAHASSEE EXCLUSIVE

MESA Airlines coming to Tallahassee Regional Airport... Mesa Airlines is apparently a subsidiary offering connection flights for most major carriers, but they also operate their own brand MESA to several destinations..

I don't have many details, But a friend told me Mesa Airlines in some form or another will be starting service at TLH soon!

Insert UP-Tallahassee Exclusive Tag Here!

MESA Airlines coming to Tallahassee Regional Airport... Mesa Airlines is apparently a subsidiary offering connection flights for most major carriers, but they also operate their own brand MESA to several destinations..

I don't have many details, But a friend told me Mesa Airlines in some form or another will be starting service at TLH soon!

Good find, TD! You may want to put a "UP-Tallahassee Exclusive" tag on your post though before it mysteriously appears somewhere else.

I searched for Mesa Airlines, and it shows that they currently fly for Delta Connection out of TLH. Their current map doesnt show Mesa itself flying out of TLH, but they could be waiting to make that announcement official before adding it to the website. Here's a link to their website, showing their route map. Thanks for the info!

http://www.mesa-air.com/map.asp

This is interesting. I know Mesa flies regionally for United, US air and Delta. Mesa although has a fleet of 20 beechcraft 1900(same type of plane that continental connection flies to Tampa) that they operate in the south, Midwest and south west as Air Midwest, a wholly owned subsidiary of Mesa Air Group. I would guess that this means that Mesa themselves will be flying to Tallahassee, although where exactly I have no idea. It will be interesting to see when Mesa will release this and the details on it.

83597238.RLZF5fLm.jpg

Thanks for the info, P.A.

On the Delta/NWA merger...A day late and a dollar short...would someone please inform our dear friend that NWA and Delta are past "considering" merging and have already merged. The airlines are in the process of having the merger "approved." Our dear friend says that "most seemed to dismiss the idea that the merger would move ahead." Oh really? He must know something CNN (Clinton News Network) and Money dont know. But I'll put my money on his knowledge over theirs!

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articl...04_FORTUNE5.htm

But dont let the facts get in the way of a good front page story, dear friend! Thats why some shouldnt attempt to sound smarter on business/corporate matters than they really are!

And while I'm happy dates have finally been published by our dear friend (strings...and so we know who has the original info), your story on April 28 is old news to my story on April 15th...or just old news in general.

This Mesa thing is all very interesting. I guess only time will tell. Glad to see that Piedmont Airlines stopped by to give us he 2 cents on the subject.

I do know that Mesa use to operate GO! airlines in Hawaii, but they were literally chased out just recently by a lawsuit. Maybe b/c of that lost deal, they have extra planes and decided to try something similar here on the Mainland? Any case, I welcome any and all new airlines to TLH.

Keep us posted TD.

GG, I thought CNN was the Obama network? I guess this has changed since Pennsylvania? :)

Thanks to the input by johnatl and P.A. Their post illustrate the point I like about this message board, it connects Tally to other areas and often people from those areas will drop by and give their 2 cents on a local situation. I think that can only be a positive thing.

Thanks, poonther - I appreciate the kind words. I must admit I'm a little hesitant to post here after I was misunderstood last year......

I know I've mentioned this in the past, but I went through Jr. High & part of High School in Tally, so I will always care about it. Frankly, I'm more than a little concerned for markets the size of Tallahassee right now with oil continuing to hover over $120 a bbl. It is just killing the airlines right now.

Frankly, I'm more than a little concerned for markets the size of Tallahassee right now with oil continuing to hover over $120 a bbl. It is just killing the airlines right now.

johnatl: If gas stays at these prices/barrel, what exactly do you see as the fate of airports the size of TLH in your humble opinion?

Some good news for all of you who are looking forward to seeing aircraft with jets under wing return to the airport. FedEx currently operates 727s out of the airport and is replacing their ageing fleet of 90 727s with new 757s that will completely replace the 727s. FedEx currently has 7 757s with 83 orders, FedEx started adding the new 757's at the beginning of this year and will completely have the fleet replaced by 2016.

Some good news for all of you who are looking forward to seeing aircraft with jets under wing return to the airport. FedEx currently operates 727s out of the airport and is replacing their ageing fleet of 90 727s with new 757s that will completely replace the 727s. FedEx currently has 7 757s with 83 orders, FedEx started adding the new 757's at the beginning of this year and will completely have the fleet replaced by 2016.

Thanks for that info , PA! Do you know if TLH has ever had 757's fly commercially?

boeing757ib7.jpg

Thanks for that info , PA! Do you know if TLH has ever had 757's fly commercially?

Not that I know of but I know that Piedmont Airlines operated 727s and Fokker F28s at TLH. What I find interesting is that FedEx express just built a new facility that was over 3 times the previous facilities space, what would be needed to store the 35% more cargo space that the 757 has. I would not be surprised to see FedEx express 757s operating out of the airport in the next 1 to 4 years.

On my last visit to TLH I noticed that a DHL plane with covers over the engines I also noticed a DHL plane in the same spot when I was their in the summer of 2007. I checked DHL aviation

DHL has operated a daily flight at TLH Tuesday-Saturday since 2005. I think the TLH website is simply outdated. Does that surprise you?

Checkout this article from late 2006, it mentions Fedex switching to 757's.

http://www.dayjet.com/news/recentarticles/TLHDemocrat.pdf

The Fed Ex jet base on the general aviation side will be relocated to a larger ramp on the commercial side just south of the main commercial terminal, freeing up more space on the general aviation side and creating more room for Fed Ex to use larger jets. Also, DHL and UPS may choose to expand fleet operations at the larger location on the commercial side.

Delta 737s back at Tallahassee Regional

Today delta flight 1750, a Boeing 737 will depart Atlanta at 6:50 pm and land at Tallahassee at 7:53 pm. The plan will spend the night in Tallahassee before departing back for Atlanta at 6:00 am Wednesday.

Also Delta is operating a 737 flight on Tuesday may 20th, that will arrive in Tallahassee at 7:53 pm.

738600dpi.jpg

Archived