Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:huh: Looks like the Panama City airport is coming. And it will be bigger than Tampa. Wow, that's going to pull the Tally airport into the whirlpool, methinks. On the other hand, we can look forward perhaps to SW Air and some cheap rates for traveling,,, as long as we're willing to drive to PC!!!

:huh: Looks like the Panama City airport is coming. And it will be bigger than Tampa. Wow, that's going to pull the Tally airport into the whirlpool, methinks. On the other hand, we can look forward perhaps to SW Air and some cheap rates for traveling,,, as long as we're willing to drive to PC!!!

Bigger in total size is what they mean. Not in terminal sq. ft., number of passengers or number of airlines/airplanes. That size will help in their efforts to secure cargo traffic/tenants.

I highly doubt w/their current passenger loads or even if they doubled them that they could lure SW Airlines. However "good job" to them if they do. I think we've discussed this very point a few times before.

TJ, I agree TLH should step up to the plate NOW. Get aggressive, get some new blood in that dept whether it be in the form of new top managers or a private consulting firm. And Please, even though it might not increase passenger loads, get a real independent web site!

There is a thread about the Bay County Airport in the FL section.

Bigger in total size is what they mean. Not in terminal sq. ft., number of passengers or number of airlines/airplanes. That size will help in their efforts to secure cargo traffic/tenants.

I highly doubt w/their current passenger loads or even if they doubled them that they could lure SW Airlines. However "good job" to them if they do. I think we've discussed this very point a few times before.

TJ, I agree TLH should step up to the plate NOW. Get aggressive, get some new blood in that dept whether it be in the form of new top managers or a private consulting firm. And Please, even though it might not increase passenger loads, get a real independent web site!

There is a thread about the Bay County Airport in the FL section. :) check out panamacityinternational.com

this is going to make this area explode with business.

Ah a 4 lane Hwy 20 would make my trips over to Bay County much easier, however I doubt that will happen for years especially if the folks in Liberty County have anything to do w/it. :)

I could not quite figure out who does that website that gionet showed us. It's definitely a real estate site done by either Seahaven or Eventide properties, but definitely NOT a St. Joe or Bay County site. Most of all that stuff I've read before in the Herald etc. You're not affiliated w/those who made the site are you gionet?

Talk about your Clash of the Titans: NY/NJ folks living among Panhandle natives.

I'm on moveon.org's email list, so that's great news to hear. Thanks for that info. GG. :)

mattc, is the hotel you are referring to, the one that is part of the Compass Pointe development? If so, that won't happen for a few years.

My question: why is the St. Joe Airport Park just sitting there empty? Surely someone could benefit from this location? The older industrial park right next to it seems to be doing fine. I've read in the paper where a few companies have actually expanded in that older park. So what give's w/this new park? Are the prices too high for the lots or are there a lot of restrictions on what can and cannot be done there?

Poonther, any update about the hotel?

I seriously doubt you will see Southwest Airlines in Panama City soon. Market isn't big enough and the yields would be deathly low for them. Southwest, in order to establish service in a market, must be able to atleast complete over 10 flights a day to markets with 120 seat jets(737's). That's alot of butts in the seats for a market the size of Panama City. You COULD, theoretically, see AirTran make a move into here before too long though, but that's wayyyyy out.

This probably wouldnt be good for our beloved airport.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/cu...,0,177406.story

Absolutely not!

Thanks for sharing this GG. Once upon a time I had some respect for Delta, but after the departure of AirTran, I saw their true colors. Lowering fares when you have competition in the market, and when competition leaves doubling them, doesn't warrant respect in my opinion.

Not just Delta does this, all airlines do the same exact thing. And why wouldn't they? They are in business to make money - no competition on a route, and you charge what the market will bear.

You guys lost Airtran because people kept flying Delta when they matched Airtrans fares. I've said this in the past and got flamed for it, but count your lucky stars that you have the service you do. Look at what Gainesville has now compared to the past. Same with Daytona and Melbourne. Tallahassee actually has more service than a lot of similar sized cities out there.

Not just Delta does this, all airlines do the same exact thing. And why wouldn't they? They are in business to make money - no competition on a route, and you charge what the market will bear.

You guys lost Airtran because people kept flying Delta when they matched Airtrans fares. I've said this in the past and got flamed for it, but count your lucky stars that you have the service you do. Look at what Gainesville has now compared to the past. Same with Daytona and Melbourne. Tallahassee actually has more service than a lot of similar sized cities out there.

Hey johnatl, I don't think you got flamed for saying Tally folks didn't leave their beloved Delta for AirTran b/c I know I've said that at least ten times here before. It may have been a case of how you said something, not what you said. But that's all "water under the bridge" now I hope. :)

I agree for a small market Tally still has some good airport service...not cheap mind you, but good. Anyway the only difference between us and the other markets you mentioned in state (Hogtown, Daytona and Melbourne) is that they have much larger airports w/in an hour to an hour and half drive from them...JAX and MCO. Unfortunately for us, it's double that drive time for us to a larger airport. Our isolation sometimes helps us and sometimes hurts us.

Also good news for Daytona, they've landed AirTran w/directs to ATL and Baltimore.

Finally: Do you work for Delta johnatl?

Poonther - No, but I am in the industry.

I hear you about being isolated from nearby airports. I really hate to say this, but it would probably be even worse for you guys than now if you were a little closer to a major airport.

What is really sad is that there was MUCH MORE service in the 70's when I was going through Jr. High & early High School in Tally. We had Eastern to Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, Tampa & Huntsville. National (most of you probably don't even remember them) flew to Jax, New Orleans, Houston & Miami. Southern (merged with North Central to form Republic, later sucked up by Northwest) flew to Montgomery, Birmingham, Orlando, Miami & Memphis. Later on, Piedmont had flights to most major Florida markets before USAir took them over. This was all on big jets too, none of this "Barbie jet" crap like now.

I used to have an article from the Democrat from the early 70's about a year before Disney opened. At the time, people didn't think Orlando could handle all the traffic, and there was actually a proposal to expand TLH massively as an "overflow" airport for Orlando. There were to be parallel runways with a huge spoke like terminal in the center. Tally used to dream big even back then!

It's really very sad to think about how things are now in mid-sized markets. Unless you are a major metro or huge tourism destination, flights are being cut and downsized to smaller planes everywhere. It's very sad IMO.

Poonther - No, but I am in the industry.

I hear you about being isolated from nearby airports. I really hate to say this, but it would probably be even worse for you guys than now if you were a little closer to a major airport.

What is really sad is that there was MUCH MORE service in the 70's when I was going through Jr. High & early High School in Tally. We had Eastern to Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, Tampa & Huntsville. National (most of you probably don't even remember them) flew to Jax, New Orleans, Houston & Miami. Southern (merged with North Central to form Republic, later sucked up by Northwest) flew to Montgomery, Birmingham, Orlando, Miami & Memphis. Later on, Piedmont had flights to most major Florida markets before USAir took them over. This was all on big jets too, none of this "Barbie jet" crap like now.

I used to have an article from the Democrat from the early 70's about a year before Disney opened. At the time, people didn't think Orlando could handle all the traffic, and there was actually a proposal to expand TLH massively as an "overflow" airport for Orlando. There were to be parallel runways with a huge spoke like terminal in the center. Tally used to dream big even back then!

It's really very sad to think about how things are now in mid-sized markets. Unless you are a major metro or huge tourism destination, flights are being cut and downsized to smaller planes everywhere. It's very sad IMO.

Reading this post makes me want to cry. Of course back in the 70s, it is a fact that Tallahassee was the fastest growing city in the state, and then someone or something put on the brakes big time.

Reading this post makes me want to cry. Of course back in the 70s, it is a fact that Tallahassee was the fastest growing city in the state, and then someone or something put on the brakes big time.

Most of that growth was just COT growth by annexation.

Thanks for the reply johnatl. I remember a few of those airlines and I remember when TLH had service to New Orleans and Jax, but that was w/USAir on prop planes.

In the early 80's I flew on some airline from TLH to of all places Naples (not RSW) for a quick stop and then on to Key West. It was some airline w/the a "P" in it's name which I think was initials. Any idea???

Was it National that crashed into the Potomac that cold icy winter? Or was that Florida Air or something?

On a somewhat positive note for TLH, I was over in Bay County visiting the parental units and working on my skin cancer the last 5 days when I thought for biz I might have to fly to FLL unexpectedly. I checked last minute flights from PC/Bay County airport and the cost round trip via ATL was $1,100, from TLH direct w/more options for flights it was $535. Thankfully I didn't have to go, but that is a big price difference.

Thanks for the reply johnatl. I remember a few of those airlines and I remember when TLH had service to New Orleans and Jax, but that was w/USAir on prop planes.

In the early 80's I flew on some airline from TLH to of all places Naples (not RSW) for a quick stop and then on to Key West. It was some airline w/the a "P" in it's name which I think was initials. Any idea???

Was it National that crashed into the Potomac that cold icy winter? Or was that Florida Air or something?

On a somewhat positive note for TLH, I was over in Bay County visiting the parental units and working on my skin cancer the last 5 days when I thought for biz I might have to fly to FLL unexpectedly. I checked last minute flights from PC/Bay County airport and the cost round trip via ATL was $1,100, from TLH direct w/more options for flights it was $535. Thankfully I didn't have to go, but that is a big price difference.

You're right Poonther, growth by Annexation was also a big thing under Maddox. I wish we were still aggressively annexing the unincorporated county.

Hey there. Hope the beach was nice.

You flew on Piedmont to Naples & Key West. My first real job in the industry was with them as a res agent in their Orlando call center! They were a fantastic Charlotte based airline that are still missed by lot's of people. They had a brilliant network called the Florida Shuttle, with all jet service to just abut every major city in the state. It was very well received, but USAir shut it down when they bought them out. This is the reason USAirways still has such a large presence in Charlotte - they wanted that hub badly.

The horrible crash in the Potomac River was indeed Air Florida. It was a flight bound for Tampa. I can still remember the chills I got when I heard the news on my car radio on my way to happy hour in Gainesville that afternoon.

Panama City has REALLY crappy service. I wouldn't worry too much about the new airport stealing ANY business away from Tally (except for cargo).

johnatl, the beach was great. I've been to beaches from Maine to Calif. to the Caribbean and it's just hard to beat the water and sand clarity of FL's Panhandle beaches......now if you want waves, that's a different story. :)

Just curious, what years did you live in Tally? Do you still have family in the area?

I flew Piedmont several times in the past, but I did not realize that TLH to EYW flight was on them, but I bow to your expertise since you worked for them. Would they have called the service in FL something different like the FL shuttle or would it just have been noted as Piedmont?

I also did not realize the Potomac crash was headed to Tampa. Then I'm sure many Floridians were lost on that flight. What year was that?

And great use of an oxymoron in your post:

"happy hour in Gainesville" :lol:

Hey Poonther!

I've been down in the Dominican Republic for a few days and just saw your message.

Yeah, the beaches of the panhandle are beautiful, but you should really check out Punta Cana if you ever get the chance. Aboslutely spectacular - and fantastic, warm people too.

Let's see, we lived in Tallahassee from 7th through 10th grade for me. Cobb and Rickards (yuck). We moved there from Atlanta in '68, and left for Orlando in '71. I have pretty vivid memories from back then, if anyone wants to know anything about what things were like. Obviously, Tallahassee was much different then. Sadly, no family there at all, and I've lost touch with my old friends.

Piedmont did indeed call it the Florida Shuttle - what a memory!

The Air Florida crash was in January of 1982. There were only 5 survivors, and it was pilot error. They took off even knowing that there was ice forming on the wings, and then used the reverse thrusters right before take-off. What a disaster.

Happy Hour, and just about everything else in Gainesville, is a joke! I spent 3 of the most miserable years of my life there (and I was NOT a student). Not a very nice place to live if you aren't connected to the University. I was in Orlando almost every weekend.

Cheaper Flights in Valdosta

In response to persistent requests of the Valdosta Airport Authority, Delta Air Lines has responded with more competitive fares for flights departing Valdosta as compared to comparable flights from Jacksonville, FL.

Delta has committed to keep fares within $25, one-way, in comparison with same destinations from Jacksonville for advance purchases in excess of 14 days from the departure date. The differential increases as tickets are purchased closer to departure dates.

Additionally, Delta has also concurred with the request of the Airport Authority to reinstate the four flights per day schedule for October. They have done this for every day but Thursdays and Saturdays. The Authority is hopeful that positive response from flyers will encourage Delta to make this schedule permanent.

:shok:

------ WTXL.tv

How is it that VALDOSTA can get cheaper flights from Delta under pressure from their Airport Authority and TALLAHASSEE cannot!! :ermm:

Cheaper Flights in Valdosta

In response to persistent requests of the Valdosta Airport Authority, Delta Air Lines has responded with more competitive fares for flights departing Valdosta as compared to comparable flights from Jacksonville, FL.

Delta has committed to keep fares within $25, one-way, in comparison with same destinations from Jacksonville for advance purchases in excess of 14 days from the departure date. The differential increases as tickets are purchased closer to departure dates.

Additionally, Delta has also concurred with the request of the Airport Authority to reinstate the four flights per day schedule for October. They have done this for every day but Thursdays and Saturdays. The Authority is hopeful that positive response from flyers will encourage Delta to make this schedule permanent.

:shok:

------ WTXL.tv

How is it that VALDOSTA can get cheaper flights from Delta under pressure from their Airport Authority and TALLAHASSEE cannot!! :ermm:

Easy. Stronger Leadership.

Archived