Richmond Sports

eandslee

SEE SATURDAY'S GAME AT THE NATIONAL.

If you can't make it to Houston and are tired of your favorite bar, here's an opportunity to join 1,000 others watching Saturday's game on a giant screen on stage and other large TV's throughout the venue. There are about five bars in the theatre.

Stay for live entertainment after the game.

http://www.thenationalva.com/

NOTE: If you arrive without tickets and find it's sold out, T-Miller's Sports Bar with dozens of TV's is a block away at The Marriott.

Edited by burt

SEE SATURDAY'S GAME AT THE NATIONAL.

If you can't make it to Houston and are tired of your favorite bar, here's an opportunity to join 1,000 others watching Saturday's game on a giant screen on stage and other large TV's throughout the venue. There are about five bars in the theatre.

Stay for live entertainment after the game.

http://www.thenationalva.com/

NOTE: If you arrive without tickets and find it's sold out, T-Miller's Sports Bar with dozens of TV's is a block away at The Marriott.

Jeremy Slayton writes about Saturday events that have made adjustments to their schedules in order NOT to interfere with the game.

It appears that Michael Reagan's appearance at a Republican fund raiser is the only event that will be upstaged.:)

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2011/mar/30/tdmain06-final-four-alters-area-event-schedules-ar-936863/

Did you win the lottery, 5/8? I'm anxious to hear.

Unfortunately, no. :(

Waiting for them to announce the lottery winners was awfully suspenseful. The drawing was scheduled for 2pm but was pushed back about an hour as they had to delete duplicate entries to make it fair. When they did the drawing, they never actually announced the drawing, it just happened. And they never sent emails notifying those who didn't win. The only way I found out that the drawing had occurred was when my friend told me that she had won. I was so disappointed.

But I'll still be cheering the Rams on somewhere in Richmond! :good:

Didn't they end up doing first come first serve? I know people just bought tickets. I hope you get to go though! I looked at it but can't afford to fly and can't miss the classes necessary to drive.

Yes, they did a lottery and a first-come offering.

The lottery included tickets to all games, hotel stay, and transportation for $25! This was limited to 200 students.

The first-come-first serve offers tickets and hotel stay for $25 but you have to pay for transportation. This was done after the lottery (10pm last night) and limited to just over 600 tickets for students. The bad news is they sold out so I couldn't get one. The good news is they sold out! There will be a good number of Rowdy Rams on hand to cheer on the team.

In the end, as much as I would have LOVED to go, its probably best that I didn't. I have a paper and exam due next Monday and school is more important than seeing the team play in person.

I'm really sorry you didn't win a lottery trip, my friend. I had been rooting for you.

But when you get a chance, read this excellent piece by Brandon Reynolds, a San Antonio native who once lived in Richmond and wrote for Style Weekly. The tabloid sometimes can be irritatingly provincial and negative in its reporting and editorializing on the subject of Downtown Richmond, but they've got several terrific writers (my favorite is Deveron Timberlake :thumbsup: .)

This issue has probably flown off the stands.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://www.styleweekly.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=B8C51C9F84704391B9290FC58FE51307

Over 2,000 fans gathered in a VCU parking lot this afternoon to encourage the Rams and, as one sign reads, "kick some butLER" in Houston.:good:

From breaking news in the RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...ll-tea/gallery/

Love the "Kick some butLET" sign.

It appears that many of the fans who came to cheer for the departing Rams made their way to the VCU bookstores afterwards. I was just there to pick up a few new VCU tees for the rest of the week and it appeared business was quite brisk at Barnes and Noble and Va Book Co.

Also, it appears the Honk for Hoops initiative put on by the Business School was (is) quite successful judging by the ruckus coming from that side of campus.

More on that here: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=206689512691960

I'm really sorry you didn't win a lottery trip, my friend. I had been rooting for you.

But when you get a chance, read this excellent piece by Brandon Reynolds, a San Antonio native who once lived in Richmond and wrote for Style Weekly. The tabloid sometimes can be irritatingly provincial and negative in its reporting and editorializing on the subject of Downtown Richmond, but they've got several terrific writers (my favorite is Deveron Timberlake :thumbsup: .)

This issue has probably flown off the stands.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://www.styleweekly.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=B8C51C9F84704391B9290FC58FE51307

Great article. Some of my favorite quotes:

More lines for food and drink form, while outside, on the patio overlooking a courtyard, the Peppas [VCU's pep band] set up. Raucous, funky and inspired, this is the pep band to end all pep bands. They don’t just honk out the notes; they dance and chant and play some dirty big-band stuff. They don’t even need a team — they could be the pep band for life itself.

Trudging back upstairs to wait for the bus, a friend shows me a video on his phone, posted to the Internet moments before. It’s of people walking down Broad Street in Richmond, hundreds of them, celebrating the victory, no particular direction, just getting out, walking together, being in the city.

Of all the great and funny and sad things I’ll see this weekend, this little image on a screen is the one to which I keep returning. It says more about the city of Richmond than master plans and slogans, more than old television shows can depict, more even than the performance its best athletes can broadcast nationally.

I resent this statement about Richmond from the article above:

...started as a freshman, lost his starting job as a sophomore and decided to transfer to VCU, an unknown university in an unremarkable city (Richmond, Va.) in the minor Colonial Athletic Association (CAA).

I hope his sentiment about Richmond is not the sentiment of most people in America. Gee!

I resent this statement about Richmond from the article above:

I hope his sentiment about Richmond is not the sentiment of most people in America. Gee!

I can sorta understand the part about the unknown university, because I never really knew about VCU until a year before I enrolled, and I grew up in Virginia.

However, you would think that, with the amount of American history that took place in this city, the average American would at least have a passing familiarity with Richmond, VA. Again, as a Virginian I may be biased, but in terms of the history of American development, its a fairly important place.

Texan journalist Chris Baldwin, unless he is truly ignorant, must know that Richmond has been an icon of culture long since Sam Houston left Virginia to settle in the Lone Star territory.

Are any of Houston's art musuems ranked among the top 10 in America? Did The Musee National Picasso in Paris invite Houston or any other Texas city to exhibit the Picasso show that is now attracting thousands to VMFA in Richmond?

Does the Houston Ship Chanel approach anywhere near the beauty of the James?

Are Richmond's shopping options, including Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstroms, Brooks Brothers,Tiffany's, myriad upscale stores and unique Carytown not impressive for a metropolitan area of 1,260,000?

Is Baldwin aware that VCU's Fine Arts program is ranked #1 in America and that the University's Medical School is one of the nation's top research institutions?

And is it possible that VCU Ram player Skeen has a sense of humor that eludes him?

Edited by burt

Richmond has RAM FEVER!

200694_10150125015076120_22922516119_7284608_7381282_n.jpg

Patient First clinic:

195842_10150125015746120_22922516119_7284615_899423_n.jpg

Even other colleges are showing their support for VCU:

196444_10150125015106120_22922516119_7284609_5422020_n.jpg

This is in the library at UVA:

198008_10150125091216120_22922516119_7285042_2082756_n.jpg

Maymont:

205124_10150125139916120_22922516119_7285363_3382761_n.jpg

Williams Mullen

198181_10150125239206120_22922516119_7285958_3028001_n.jpg

Alstom

196941_10150125239261120_22922516119_7285960_4338278_n.jpg

Snag-A-Job

207758_10150125239396120_22922516119_7285962_1120679_n.jpg

Jefferson Hotel

196927_10150125015876120_22922516119_7284619_2971645_n.jpg

(also, VCU flags around the hotel; the alligator (or croc?) at the entrance had a basketball in its mouth)

CBS did a closing 2-minute segment on its National News last night about Shaka Smart.

VCU's PR people have had to deal with hundreds of requests for interviews.

Yesterday, at Reliant Stadium in Houston, 5,000 turned out to watch a practice session with Shaka and his Rams.

He and his wife, Maya, are expecting their first child.

Today, RTD writer Tim Pearell's excellent and comprehensive bio of Shaka Smart leads off the stories in The Times Dispatch.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/news/2011/apr/02/tdmain01-shaka-mania-ar-944861/

Edited by burt

While trying to post the biographical piece about Shaka Smart in the above entry, a video of the Arts Department came up. Don't know how that happened,. It might have been because of all the "related" stories on the page.

I've edited the posting and it's up now.

Go back and read it if you haven't seen it elsewhere. Smart is a remarkable man.:thumbsup:

Edited by burt