Richmond Sports

eandslee

^You can't make that judgment off of one season though. Lets see how they are doing 3-4 years from now. If concrete chunks are falling again and attendance is half of what it was this season, then it may be hard to avoid the new stadium talk if something hasn't already been decided by then. How it's funded is a different subject of course. I think more than anything the Richmond area was excited about having baseball back in town and that's why the attendance was solid. From what I've seen it looks like the Squirrels did a good job of marketing themselves too.

That's all true and I doubt that attendance next year will be as strong (and have no faith that the team has any intent to stay in Richmond). The Squirrels in Richmond are just half of the equation though. The Braves in Gwinnett is the other half. That's a brand new stadium that is under performing our 25 year old one. That's the same team that told Richmond that they needed a new stadium to spur attendance and revenue. That's not happening. The attendance numbers for the Braves in Gwinnett are right at where they were in Richmond (and WELL below where the Braves in Richmond were most of the seasons of the last 10 years).

Yea, but that's also just one example. You can look around at other stadiums (and I'm just talking minor league here) that are very successful. Teams in Indianapolis, Columbus, Memphis, Louisville, Toledo etc that have had stadiums built within the last ~10 years all have solid attendance numbers every year. I agree that just putting a new ballpark up won't guarantee great attendance annually. Amenities and location have a lot to do with it year after year, especially with minor league teams. I haven't been to the Gwinnett stadium, though the one complaint I've heard from friends who live in the area say that parking and getting in/out of there is a mess. I've also always wondered how they expected to be successful when the real thing (parent club) is 30 minutes away. Charlotte's AAA team never draws well either down here. Of course, that's in large part because their stadium is 15+ miles south of downtown in a semi-rural area of South Carolina. And there's nothing else around it either.

Edited by dbull75

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

VCU Rams topped Virginia Union Panthers by a good margin in an exhibition game last night at The Siegel Center before about 6,500 spectators.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't it the time of year for the annual Richmond Sun Trust Marathon? I can't find anything about it in the local press.

The Flying Squirrels' logo is named the best by Ballpark Digest.

The story says the team's name was selected from thousands of submissions. I still think it was an economic choice so that Richmond and its parent, San Francisco Giants, could use the same helmets which show S and F overlapping and can be interpreted in two ways. :thumbsup:

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...ui06-ar-634923/

Edited by burt

• 3 weeks later...

Possibly one of the most exciting sports-related stories I've encountered since I've been in Richmond (thats a really biased statement, I admit; its only exciting to me because I LOVE cycling..)

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/dec/20/richmond-to-bid-for-international-cycling-event-ar-727714/

The city of Richmond is vying for a return to world-class cycling.

Mayor Dwight C. Jones and USA Cycling will announce Tuesday a bid to host "a nine-day event that will attract national and international audiences," according to a city news release.

The event is the International Cycling Union's world road cycling championships in 2015, cycling journal VeloNews reported, citing unnamed sources.

The 10:30 a.m. announcement at the Greater Richmond Convention Center will be broadcast at .

USA Cycling said Richmond would be seeking "an international cycling event that has not been held in the United States in almost 25 years." The U.S. last hosted a road world championship in 1986 in Colorado Springs, Colo., VeloNews said.

I really really REALLY hope that Richmond can somehow pull this off.

• 1 month later...

The VCU Rams sailed past the ODU Monarchs by a score of 59 to 50 yesterday afternoon at the sold out (8,500 capacity) Ted Constant Center in Norfolk.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/college-sports/2011/jan/23/tdsport01-strong-finish-lifts-vcu-past-odu-ar-792327/

Meanwhile, the University of Richmond beat the U of Mass at Amherst 84 to 68.

I suppose the road game ended too late for the staff at The Richmond Times Dispatch, but I learned on Google that VCU was declared the victor a little after 10 PM in the VCU/Towson tossup last night.

The final score was 80 to 76.

There's no story at this hour on the sports page. It may come in to the RTD Sports desk via pony express later today. Meanwhile, if you scroll down to VCU blogs, you can read about the game.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/

Edited by burt