Richmond Sports

eandslee

I suppose the road game ended too late for the staff at The Richmond Times Dispatch, but I learned on Google that VCU was declared the victor a little after 10 PM in the VCU/Towson tossup last night.

The final score was 80 to 76.

There's no story at this hour on the sports page. It may come in to the RTD Sports desk via pony express later today. Meanwhile, if you scroll down to VCU blogs, you can read about the game.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/

It's 10:39AM and I just noticed that the RTD finally put a story up on its sports page about the VCU/Towson game. However, it's disappeared. Maybe they'll get their act together later in the day.

I mean, I don't know a helluva lot about college sports, but it would seem VCU's status in the CAA would be a matter of some local importance.

PS: The UrbanPlanet clock is, and has been, off for a few months -- at least on my computer. It is now officially 10:51 AM on Tuesday, Jan. 25th.

Edited by burt

VCU Rams defeated Hofstra 82 to 67 last night before a near sell-out crowd at The Siegel Center and moved into first place in the CAA.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-caa-ar-804556/

Also, check out the slideshow in the "related" box.

Note: Sometimes our ODU friends call their Ted Constant Arena by its first name. There seems to be a similar trend in Richmond; some RAM fans refer to the Stuart Siegel Center as "The Stu.":rolleyes:

Edited by burt

While VCU was turning away folks last night at the sold-out Siegel Center (capacity 7,552), Rams fans had reason to celebrate. They won their 22nd straight game on home turf and chalked up their 9th consecutive win. The final score was 79 to 70 over UNCWilmington.

http://www2.timesdis...wedn-ar-808268/

Meanwhile, out in suburbia, The U of R Spiders fell 85 to 62 against Xavier before 8,515 fans (capacity at Robins Center is 9,000+.)

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/college-sports/2011/jan/30/tdsport01-ur-uravels-in-second-half-ar-808270/

The two games on the same day attracted about 16,000 fans in Richmond. Are you taking note, Coliseum planners? Don't fall for that "small is just fine for Richmond" malarkey by the California planning experts.

Expand Siegel Center by 3,000 seats to handle the Circus and other attractions while the downtown facility is being demolished and rebuilt on the same site into a state-of-the-art 18,000-seat (minimum) facility.

Listen to the old man who has watched for 83 years as conservative Richmond has seen the world pass it by.

That's my editorial for the month!:good:

Edited by burt

The two games on the same day attracted about 16,000 fans in Richmond. Are you taking note, Coliseum planners? Don't fall for that "small is just fine for Richmond" malarkey by the California planning experts.

Thanks for expressing my sentiments exactly Burt. I found myself with very mixed feelings about this study. On one hand, its great that they're finally looking at building a new facility. However, our leaders have got to stop with this small view they have of Richmond and its future. This is a doable project for the region. Look at the results of regional cooperation in the airport. It went from being an embarassment to a source of pride. It bears Richmond's name but benefits the region. The same would hold true for a larger arena. If we are going to build one, then build one that will be a source of pride for the metro and can attract events that a smaller one never will. It is time to stop accepting the status quo. Richmond is similar in size to Oklahoma City which, in recent years, has accomplished a great deal in changing its image and attracting the type of media attention that Richmond desires. I think the mayor seems to be attempting to get Richmond out of its comfort zone. Richmond is capable of doing the same that Oklahoma City, Charlotte and Raleigh have done. Richmond has the potential to be superb but can only do so by not accepting mediocrity any more. Sorry for the rant but this has struck a nerve. shades.gif

Virginia Commonwealth University's 12-year-old Siegel Center will get a $3 million upgrade that will include a new club room designed to enhance the Rams brand.

The renovation work, which would add 200 seats to the 7,500-seat arena, was approved Thursday by the VCU board of visitors.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/business/2011/feb/11/TDMET01-siegel-center-to-get-more-seats-club-venue-ar-835273/

ESPN2 television crews will have a busy day in Richmond this coming Saturday, Feb. 12th.

At noon they will televise the game between the UR Spiders and St. Louis at The Robins Center while another TV crew is setting up at The Siegel Center for the 2PM matchup between The VCU Rams and ODU Monarchs.

I don't know how many tickets remain at Robins Center, but the VCU/ODU game is sold out.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/sport/2011/feb/11/TDSPORT01-ur-vcu-double-date-for-espn2-on-saturday-ar-835203/

ESPN2 was also on hand this afternoon televising VCU's loss to ODU at the sold-out Siegel Center. The final score was 70-59..

I watched both games (UR/STL and VCU/ODU) here in New York. It was sad to see VCU break its string of home court wins but, IMO, they were out matched by the Monarchs.

From breaking news in today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2011/feb/12/odu-halts-vcus-home-win-streak-at-22-ar-838893/

Its last three home games were sell-outs. But after a 22-game win streak in its own building, the last two were disasterous and costly losses for VCU.

Very sad to watch. In fact, I switched channels so often, I may have missed any Richmond City promotional ads. But I seriously doubt there were any, and if so, that's a shame. When a city is on National TV twice within days, they ought to find it in their budgets to produce some TV spots touting their region.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/college-sports/2011/feb/16/tdsport01-rams-counted-out-ar-846216/

^Typically for college athletics on TV, you only see commercials for the respective universities that are involved in the game being broadcasted and not the cities themselves. For sporting events such as golf tournaments that are broadcasted over several days, you're more likely to see city or regional advertisements. A couple tough losses for VCU. Though, I'm sure they'll make a run in the CAA tournament in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an AP story about VCU upsetting The Patriots:

http://www2.timesdis...9-63-ar-887080/

:offtopic: Charlotte, our big city neighbor to the southwest, often complains about news stories identifying their big metropolis as Charlotte, NORTH CAROLINA. I mean, who doesn't know where Charlotte is? Why is it necessary to add "N.C." after the name "Charlotte?"

Well, I happen to agree with them.

On the other hand, when writing about Richmond, the New York Times NEVER felt compelled to add "Va." after the city's name -- that is, until about 5 years ago. I think the reason is because Richmond was (and is) a State Capital. Santa Fe, Salem, Olympia and, yes, Raleigh (all state capitals) did not have to suffer the indignity of being identified by state. But things change with new management at the top and for other reasons.

Howsomever :) , note in the AP stories above reporting on the CAA, the initials "Va." do not appear after "Richmond" in the dateline.

Have we arrived? :console:

Nice W by the Rams today! VCU was getting a lot of props by some prominent college bball analysts for their win against a top 25 team today. The CAA should be able to send two teams to the NCAA tourney now without a doubt. And arguably three if ODU happens to win. Last time the CAA sent two teams to the NCAAs, George Mason went to the Final Four.

:offtopic: As far as the Charlotte and NC thing goes, well you've probably seen us beat that up quite a bit already. Main reasons are that it's not a state capital and there's always the Charlottesville, Charleston, etc that are nearby. Hopefully after the DNC in 2012 that will disappear. The only Richmond I can think of outside of VA off the top of my head is in California.