Newport News Development

urbanfan

The city has just purchased the old Hills store in an initial step to make the whole Newport Crossing Shopping Center into a mixed used development. This shopping center is at the corner of Oriana Rd. and Warwick Blvd. I've lived in the Denbigh area of Newport News all my life and I remember when K-mart was all surrounded by trees. This area has been a virtual ghost town for the last 10 years. I can't wait till something more useful and prominent is put over there. What does everyone think?

• 1 month later...

2 things:

1: what is the status of the proposal to build a mixed-project mentioned on Jul 22 by vdogg

and 2: I hope to get pics up soon (perhaps by mid-next-week) of the construction here at CNU -- you'd be surprised! The library's brick facing is approximately 1/2-2/3 done and the cupola looks incredible. You can see it coming a ways down Warwick and when complete, it will be one of the most-architecturally significant structures in the city :). The new Student Union (dubbed the David Student Union) is fairly incredible too. The main atrium area is huge, three-stories high for the mostpart, with a beautiful grand staircase. I'm pretty proud of what we have here and I hope to get y'all pics soon!!!

Last weekend I saw Jesus Christ Superstar at the Ferguson Center at CNU. That place is incredible. I've been there once before to see Blast!, a drum corps-on-stage type of brass/percussion/visual ensemble theater experience show...thing... Blast! is hard to exlpain if anyone doesn't know what drum corps is.

Anyway, the Ferg. has excellent acoustics, there isn't a bad seat in the house, and achitecturally, the building has a great design. The show was great. This production of Superstar star Ted Neely, the orginal Jesus from the 1973 movie and Judas was Corey Glove, the lead singer to the now defunct hard rock band, Living Colour!

I hope the Sandler Center in Va. Beach's Town Center will at least come close to what they've achieved with the Ferg., if not exceed it. Kudos to CNU.

Metalman

• 1 month later...

Yet another mixed use development going up. However, this will be slightly different in that it will offer affordable housing for middle and low income residents. The first of its kind up here. Check it out here.

Wow looks nice, pretty informative video too. The Peninsula is really starting to urbanize now. :):)

Construction won't start till 2008 though. :(

I'm new here =P, but I've lived in Hampton Roads all my life and moved to Northern Virginia last year. I specifically lived in York County, but anyhow, this Huntington Point is a move by McCale to only make money. The developer initially filed a plan for a suburban development in 1993. (This initial development was called LakeWood Village). After 11 years of delays, they started construction in 2004 and even advertised large single-family homes on Wayne Harbin Custom Builder's site, but the development halted as home prices began going down. The site has already been cleared and culdesacs and what not have already been put in place, but the developer is not continuing with that plan, especially because York County does not want more students from a new development. The irony is that this development is going in place of the above mentioned LakeWood Vilage that the Daily Press talked about a week ago about how McCale would only allow residents above the age of 19.

I'm new here =P, but I've lived in Hampton Roads all my life and moved to Northern Virginia last year. I specifically lived in York County, but anyhow, this Huntington Point is a move by McCale to only make money. The developer initially filed a plan for a suburban development in 1993. (This initial development was called LakeWood Village). After 11 years of delays, they started construction in 2004 and even advertised large single-family homes on Wayne Harbin Custom Builder's site, but the development halted as home prices began going down. The site has already been cleared and culdesacs and what not have already been put in place, but the developer is not continuing with that plan, especially because York County does not want more students from a new development. The irony is that this development is going in place of the above mentioned LakeWood Vilage that the Daily Press talked about a week ago about how McCale would only allow residents above the age of 19.

Interesting tidbit... hrm. But also, welcome fellow York County (former) resident :) . I like the design, but I'm not so sure about the location for such an 'urban' development... And this makes me like it a little less.

• 2 months later...

So my nerdness level was exponentially rising while in my Model UN meeting earlier this afternoon here at CNU, and I was thinking -- what makes a University truly great? Keep in mind the Model UN context / mindset...

We have a conference coming up in a little under 2 months, and I was wondering -- what do all our visitors have to do while they are here? We went to the University of Pennsylvania's Conference in November (UPMUNC) and there were tons of amenities; they held the conference at the downtown Doubletree (a great hotel, by the way) and it's in the heart of downtown Philadelphia, near shopping, GREAT dining, and the cosmopolitan atmosphere was vibrant and fun to be a part of. Our conference is on-campus (which is slightly less-glamorous) and our dining options include Chik-Fil-A, Tropical Smoothie, Panera Bread, and a Subway. Kind of paltry compared to the international cuisine in the vicinity of Philly's Doubletree and UPenn itself.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that part of what makes schools great (and, in the context of our conference, what makes Model UN conferences great) is the atmosphere surrounding them. It is fantastic to be a part of a vibrant and growing campus, but it would be even better to have a wide variety of awesome amenities nearby. I often feel really isolated on-campus and Warwick Boulevard poses a pretty significant boundary. I guess I just hope that as midtown Newport News continues its expansion and trend towards urbanity, the area around CNU is not left out -- I truly think the University is one of the greatest assets the city of Newport News has and I also hope they continue to invest in it because it really will pay tremendous dividends.

[/rant] [/nerd] :whistling::thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The newsletter section of City Center at Oyster Point online has been updated with very interesting news for future office space totaling 500,000 sq feet. The last tidbit tells of an 18-story corporate tower and adjoining mid-rise building called "Metropolitan Place" intended to house a major headquarters or company of some sort - they call it the "capstone" development of City Center.

Updated news of future office space @ City Center

Edited by adctvmonkey

The newsletter section of City Center at Oyster Point online has been updated with very interesting news for future office space totaling 500,000 sq feet. The last tidbit tells of an 18-story corporate tower and adjoining mid-rise building called "Metropolitan Place" intended to house a major headquarters or company of some sort - they call it the "capstone" development of City Center.

Updated news of future office space @ City Center

Lol, they stole our building. This tower looks suspiciously like the block 11 tower slated to go up in Town Center.

The%20Metropolitan.jpgtcii.jpg

All in all good news though, especially with the announcement from canon. I may make another thread for these as we get closer. There is a City Center thread though. I'll probably just move this there for the time being.

"Canon is leading the way and reversing an industry wide trend by bringing manufacturing back to the United States," said Takayoshi Hanagata, the president and chief executive of Canon Virginia Inc., which oversees the local operations.

Interesting quote. I wonder if the falling dollar doesn't have something to do with this?

Interesting quote. I wonder if the falling dollar doesn't have something to do with this?

Possibly, but it goes back to protectionist trade theory. I think Canon would like to have products it could bill as "in-house(USA)" products, hopefully leading to better sales domestically. It would also cut down on shipping costs, which are steadily rising because of oil prices.

Either way - the office building looks GREAT ! Whether or not the design was plagiarized :P.

Any info on when it'll start? I didn't get the chance to read the article.