Cosmo 418 (Resurrected)

vdogg

I honestly don't believe my eyes. There may be hope for Granby Tower yet! 😅

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/norfolk/new-high-rise-project-downtown-norfolk-in-the-works/291-9df71d5e-6f73-4de2-92b1-38023d15be59

For those who haven't been around long enough and may not know what I'm referring to.

Cosmo 418 Thread

• vdogg changed the title to Cosmo 418 (Resurrected)

On 8/26/2023 at 4:14 PM, vdogg said:

I honestly don't believe my eyes. There may be hope for Granby Tower yet! 😅

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/norfolk/new-high-rise-project-downtown-norfolk-in-the-works/291-9df71d5e-6f73-4de2-92b1-38023d15be59

For those who haven't been around long enough and may not know what I'm referring to.

Cosmo 418 Thread

Im so happy we are at least getting somthing. Though to the people complaining about the project, WTF did they want there? Its been vacant, its TOO small and its more of an eyesore just to let it rot there.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, baobabs727 said:

Perhaps the compromise will be a lighter, less obtrusive look:  more glass, less cladding, a more muted color palate, etc. Oh and the deletion of one floor, although that move might destroy the project's viability. 

NOTE:  I'm not advocating, just surmising/predicting.

why eliminate a floor???  How about adding floors!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Buildthetowers said:

why eliminate a floor???  How about adding floors!

First off, is this a by-right development? Is it NOT subject to planning, architectural review and City Council approval?  THIS, I have no idea. Somebody? Anybody?  Because the subject of our convo might be a moot point. Or not.  OK...so are you asking why the naysayers and/or ARB might demand a 1 floor reduction?  I'd surmise that that THEY would say that the height, as proposed, is relatively out of character with that block. Reducing 1 floor would be a compromise to render the building a little less out of step with its surroundings whilst simultaneously acknowledging the need for additional residential downtown ...and the necessity of building up!

17 minutes ago, baobabs727 said:

First off, is this a by-right development? Is it NOT subject to planning, architectural review and City Council approval?  THIS, I have no idea. Somebody? Anybody?  Because the subject of our convo might be a moot point. Or not.  OK...so are you asking why the naysayers and/or ARB might demand a 1 floor reduction?  I'd surmise that that THEY would say that the height, as proposed, is relatively out of character with that block. Reducing 1 floor would be a compromise to render the building a little less out of step with its surroundings whilst simultaneously acknowledging the need for additional residential downtown ...and the necessity of building up!

Yeah, I don't know. I feel like we shouldn't give in to that demand. We already have buildings that were significantly shortened because they were next to Freemason. This is smack in the middle of downtown and 2 blocks away from where the APPROVED Granby Tower was supposed to be built (34 stories). This thing is only 8 floors tall, they'll live. We give in to their demands and we might as well just put a 7-story cap on all of downtown and be done with it. I agree the design could use some work, but height shouldn't be an issue in that location. 

• Like 3

I would suggest checking out the property on Norfolk AIR and using the zoning links there for answers (Note: address is 439 Granby St). My brief review of both D-MU zoning district and the Downtown Historic overlay district gives me the impression that this will need the full gambit of approvals. It seems like it would exceed the FAR maximum for D-MU and probably doesn’t check the boxes in the overlay (specifically regarding compatibility). I love the unique design and hope it happens but not optimistic that it gets through without getting butchered by the approval process. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HRVA said:

I would suggest checking out the property on Norfolk AIR and using the zoning links there for answers (Note: address is 439 Granby St). My brief review of both D-MU zoning district and the Downtown Historic overlay district gives me the impression that this will need the full gambit of approvals. It seems like it would exceed the FAR maximum for D-MU and probably doesn’t check the boxes in the overlay (specifically regarding compatibility). I love the unique design and hope it happens but not optimistic that it gets through without getting butchered by the approval process. 

my god!!!!!!!!  what the heck is it with these people in this city!!!!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vdogg said:

Yeah, I don't know. I feel like we shouldn't give in to that demand. We already have buildings that were significantly shortened because they were next to Freemason. This is smack in the middle of downtown and 2 blocks away from where the APPROVED Granby Tower was supposed to be built (34 stories). This thing is only 8 floors tall, they'll live. We give in to their demands and we might as well just put a 7-story cap on all of downtown and be done with it. I agree the design could use some work, but height shouldn't be an issue in that location. 

More or less, I would agree.

With you.

Edited by baobabs727

If I ever win the lottery i'll build us a brand new building right in the downtown. All of Norfolk can celebrate.

Jokes aside, this project could kickstart the rest of the buildings around them to also expand upwards. I love it. I imagine the windows on the sides of the building are designed as so because they expect to buy/build the surrounding buildings too OR another developer would do the same and its not worth the time to build windows only for them to be eventually blocked out by a neighboring build. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

The board is full of too many bland old people. All they want is colonial stuff. If that’s all they want move to Williamsburg, there is tons of that there lol. We need some young blood in there. Most cities have varying size buildings are around each other. I swear people around here are stuck in the 1800s and hate any expansion of the city. The city and region run so many youth out of the region. We need to attract these young people here so there is a reason for high paying jobs to exist in this region. There is a reason we can’t get light rail moved forward around the region. Lots of ignorant people in this area. Too many old people getting a say on what the future of this region is

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• 6 months later...