Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

with the amount of money the marlins were willing to pitch in down in south florida, coupled with the money designated for the citrus bowl....... a state of the art baseball stadium could be built right here in orlando.

i still cant believe the city/county are not taking this opportunity more seriously.

I would love to see the Marlins here.

I hope these renovations make it incredible cause we are stuck with it either way. I just have a feeling Im going to walk into the stadium in a few years and say "This is it?".

Off the court, meanwhile, the Magic say they are negotiating with the Florida-based Ginn Co., a real-estate development company, to sign an arena naming-rights deal, but the club says nothing has been finalized.

According to Sports Business Journal, the Magic will announce a four-year deal worth about $8 million and rename the arena "Ginn Arena" and also have exclusive naming rights for the new arena

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/loca...ports-headlines

this is the guy that is going to build an atlantis style resort on grand bahama island

http://www.ginnsurmer.com/

I would love to see the Marlins here.

Baseball in Florida doesn't have a very good track record for attendance. The Rays get more fans for the opposing team than they do for the home club. I all the time hear people say, hey you want to go see the Yankees, you want to go see the Red Sox. They're in Tampa.

There's no reason to think baseball would do any better here.

If we built a new baseball stadium you'd be saying, "Where is everybody?"

Did anyone notice Tinker Field is gone in the new renderings?

Didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

I still say build a baseball stadium where the current arena is and get the Marlins here. A stadium with downtown Orlando as the outfield backdrop would be dramatic. If we can't get MLB then go for minor league ball. AAA baseball would be great too, and probably more competitive in a city of Orlando's size.

I still say build a baseball stadium where the current arena is and get the Marlins here. A stadium with downtown Orlando as the outfield backdrop would be dramatic. If we can't get MLB then go for minor league ball. AAA baseball would be great too, and probably more competitive in a city of Orlando's size.

I heard recently that Portland, San Antonio, and Charlotte are the cities in the running for the Marlins.

But the owner expressed interest in Orlando. I agree with most of you, leave the the Citrus Bowl alone,

build the new arena, and lets try and nab the Marlins and build them a stadium. And having downtown as a backdrop would be amazing, but where would the stadium go, and at what angle would it have to be built at?

I heard recently that Portland, San Antonio, and Charlotte are the cities in the running for the Marlins.

But the owner expressed interest in Orlando. I agree with most of you, leave the the Citrus Bowl alone,

build the new arena, and lets try and nab the Marlins and build them a stadium. And having downtown as a backdrop would be amazing, but where would the stadium go, and at what angle would it have to be built at?

How about we put the new baseball stadium between say, terry Ave and OBT and between south and Washington. :whistling:

I still say build a baseball stadium where the current arena is and get the Marlins here. A stadium with downtown Orlando as the outfield backdrop would be dramatic.

It would be dramatic. Especially the empty echo on game day. Baseball is not big in FLA except for transplants to go see their old teams from back home. Build it and the will not come!

It seems like cities who were interested early on have lost interest. Portland doesn't have the 100 mile radius population to support a team, even though the metro is about the same as Orlando. San Antonio really wants the NFL. Charlotte is smaller than Orlando and already has the NBA, NFL, and a minor league baseball team. Their market is overstretched. Orlando is probably about the best market out there for baseball especially including the 100 mile radius. That pulls in Brevard, Volusia, Polk, and even Sumter and Flagler counties. Not even including any part of Tampa still gives you a population of around 3.7 million and growing . It would be a smaller market team, but it is possible. I think the Marlins will stay in South Florida, and there may be more happening behind the scene that ensures they will stay in South Florida. That may be why it doesn't appear many cities are really going after the team.

I think a baseball field at the current arena site would be great even if it's AAA. Orient the field so the pitcer throws Northwest and hitters are looking out Southeast to hit and no one stares into the sun. That provides a outfield view of the Orlando skyline. It's a great location.

I've heard that argument several times, even here (the NFL one). Not that people assume we'd get some expansion team or something ASAP, but it always seems to be at least implied that we could have one move here 'sometime'.

Let's face it, for the avg. fan what they need is better toilets (some are nicer already) and vending. Surely that can't cost too much? Hell a restaurant could come in and build onto the venue, with a view of the field, and they could cover the cost! Of course then again what restaurant would open to sell food 4 or 5 times a year?

Oh well....

resaurant could work... Hard Rock in Toronto is inside the Skydome and open all the time; but, they do have, what, the Argonauts and the Blue Jays all season-long.

MLB or nothing.I think that we could support it here and in the future.Small minds need to think big.Gotta spend money to make money!

Orlando Magazine suggests it ought to be named "Marc Watson Arena" as it was the Watson/I-Drive proposal which pressed Dyer and Crotty to announce the downtown deal (which is far from done).

Hey now, I think I used that term first, but it might have been on the Sentinel (I post on the taking names blog at times) and not here. I think I called them the Marc Watson Arena and the Blue Rose PAC, but I might have that backwards.

Anyway, I would say if anything it should be something disparaging, but hey he did move right out of the way when things got moving. I'm sure there's a lot behind the scenes we'll never know....