Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Personally I don't think it's the place of tax dollars to go to pay for any arenas, pacs, art museums, ect. Unfortunatley it happens all the time across the country. I am not for it but I think Orlando deserves an arena and that's how the system works. What can ya do?

Or we can give all the tax money to rosen and the hoteliers and they can put more ads on tv i dont get your point.Tjis is good for all of us the live in Central FL.

If the PAC doesn't get more money they're not going to move to Tampa.. if the Citrus Bowl doesn't get any more money they really only endanger two bowl games. If the Magic don't get their arena they most likely end up leaving...or blackmailing the city more overtly. It's nice to have standards but for sports teams/arenas when there are maybe 100 other cities with markets suitable for your team that are happy to build a castle for free for them getting any contribution might seem like a victory. Denver bent over and happily asked the Denver Broncos to rape them with their new stadium, on the plus side the team not only stayed in Denver but the stadium was still downtown and not in a suburb, the tax dollars that will be reovered from the fans going to the arena really probably balance out what was given to the team for the stadium in the long run. I would imagine the same thinking about keeping the fans not only in the Orlando area but the city itself and close to a downtown that's basically being born from scratch in the next 10 years would mean it's probably a better deal than not for Orlando.

I agree.Or let just run the magic out of town dont build an arena and the old td waterhouse can set empty and we all lose out.

I've glanced through these posts very briefly, as there have been quite a few in a short time period. My thoughts personally are fairly simple but also tend to be a bit biased so I will suffice it to say that I too love shiney new toys, so bring it on. In the end I think it is safe to say that someone always feels like they are getting screwed.

This whole debate kind of reminds me of the time when we were discussing Cameron Kuhn getting city incentives for The Plaza.

What this whole thing boils down to is this.Does Orlando want a nba team here and hopefully get a fottbal and basball big league team here eventually.We all know that in a matter of a few short years we will have the population to support all three.If we want to play with the big boys we have to shell out the money just like any other big city imo.

Maxwell pegs the Magic's actual contribution at $62 million. This includes $52 million cash and $10 million donation to the PAC. He contrasts this with the PAC's requirement to raise $100 million in private contributions. The PAC donations constitute an actual sacrifice, whereas DeVos will profit handsomely from ticket sales.

He also points out that whereas the Magic were only required to trim the cost of its facility by $5 million, the PAC group were required to trim theirs by $50 million. Thus, predictions that the PAC would be hardest hit were spot-on.

Mike Thomas says that the Magic's contribution falls short, but is better than the embarassingly bad predicted $40 million. And given that negotiations are ongoing, he much prefers that the Magic contribute an actual $100 million upfront, which he has identified as the minimum contribution of recent arena deals in other NBA cities.

So he's in for 62 million but he could potentially, albeit unlikely be in for 162 million and any cost over runs. Correct?

So he's in for 62 million but he could potentially, albeit unlikely be in for 162 million and any cost over runs. Correct?

I'm not sure I'm clear on your question, but I'm guessing he'd say that the co-signed $100 million dollar 'insurance loan' is not tantamount to the upfront money required for the PAC. And Thomas is saying that $100 million cash upfront is the least contibution other NBA franchises have made.

Does anyone know how tall the arena is going to be.By the rendering it looks pretty tall.

My understanding is that it can't be taller than 441'. :)

The way i took it was they can seat more for college than the nba

The court is smaller, so you can add more seats on the floor. I don't know how many, though. Plus, you can stick a few skinny college kids in your pockets.

Seems like a no-brainer for a Disney or a Universal.

Or a Brighthouse. Oh, yeah. They're probably tapped-out. ;)

How about Darden? The OG PAC. Garlic sticks with every ticket.

Or possibly Home Depot Supply.

What this whole thing boils down to is this.Does Orlando want a nba team here and hopefully get a fottbal and basball big league team here eventually.We all know that in a matter of a few short years we will have the population to support all three.If we want to play with the big boys we have to shell out the money just like any other big city imo.

It all boils down to, what ? letting the Magic contribute what little they can get by with ?

The court is smaller, so you can add more seats on the floor. I don't know how many, though. Plus, you can stick a few skinny college kids in your pockets.

How about Darden? The OG PAC. Garlic sticks with every ticket.

If it was Darden Arena, I'd go to games just for the breadsticks.

Some big names on the PAC and Event Center are needed here. There are some powerhouses in the community that could certainly fill the bill.

Some good ones would be:

1) Home Depot/Hughes Supply (they can buy the materials from them!)

2) Siemens (their very profitable Power Generation division is headquartered in Orlando across from UCF....plus they have another division called Building Technologies, which could do most of the high-tech infrastructure work....and their Transportation division can provide the railcars for getting around orange county) I think our local governments should talk to them about a win-win relationship.

3) Florida Hospital

5) Lockheed Martin (all these wars are big bucks for them)

...I think these names would bring prestige to the Orlando venues.

Orlando's pop has more then enough room for a basketball and an NFL but Orlando will never have an NFL team because we're so close to Jacksonville and Tampa. We've got 2.2 million people in metro that's more then enough to sustain NBA, NHL, MLS. I don't know if we could sustain a MLB team unless we put it on Idrive. I think we shouldn't have spent 175 million dollars renovating a 70 yr. old citrus bowl. I think we shold have gone after the Marlins and built their stadium on Idrive.

Edited by Violindude

I say the Buddy Dyer Memorial Arena

He has done more for this city than any other mayor and deserves the recognition that Crotty and Mulvaney will not give

Granted, he is far from dead but will be a fitting tribute to him when he leaves office

Will most certainly get Crotty's panties in a bunch

Oh, gawd.

I say the Buddy Dyer Memorial Arena

He has done more for this city than any other mayor and deserves the recognition that Crotty and Mulvaney will not give

Granted, he is far from dead but will be a fitting tribute to him when he leaves office

Will most certainly get Crotty's panties in a bunch

In my opinion, any mayor would have been considered Orlando's finest mayor during this period of time. With interest rates where they were over his term (and notice how there has been an urban renaissance throughout the entire country), urban renewal in the downtown core was inevitable.

With that said, he has still done a good job in keeping the developments rolling. He could have laid down to the historical society and we could still have an old McCrory's building. That's like saying that the KMart building on Colonial should always stay there, because people in the 80's and 90's will always need to remember shopping there as a child. He has made some decisions that may not have been made by someone else with less of a backbone. I'll give him that, but I don't think we need an arena named after him. I would just as soon have it called the Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ Basketball Pit.