Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

I heard there is still some talks going on to build it on Idrive..Is this true? Someone was telling me the comishs still pushing for Idrive or something. I know the chance of it going in downtown are 99.99% now but just wondering if anyone else heard anything new?

No, not true. A purchase and sale agreement has already been executed for the vast majority of the Church/Hughey site. As I said several weeks ago, the I-Drive distraction was never serious.

^

I've heard in several presentations that this is intended to be a "100-YEAR venue." "Building it for our Grand Kids." That's what they've been saying. We'll see what that means.

Ahh, that probably means 50 tops, but hey that's not bad :thumbsup:

I'm guessing it would LAST 100 years, with proper maintenance but would it be worth anything then?

I just drove by the downtown site on my way home today and noticed they have signs all around the "round" building (Orange and Anderson) stating "Future Home of the PAC" (or something close to that). Also, is that really crappy lane closure on Anderson related to the PAC? It sucks coming home from work as that whole intersection backs up pretty bad.

Finally --- is that round building coming down for the PAC? I'd imagine they'd need to implode it due to its size. That would be a very cool site to see!

Well, we've been stuck with Municipal Auditorium (Bob Carr) as our PAC for about 80 years - only billionaire pyramid scheme folks get our attention every 20 :silly: . I could be wrong on this, but isnt the Anderson lane closure part of converting it and South to two-way traffic for a stretch? http://www.trans4mation.org/fdot/index/tra...5a5fa181d007524.

Well, we've been stuck with Municipal Auditorium (Bob Carr) as our PAC for about 80 years - only billionaire pyramid scheme folks get our attention every 20 :silly: . I could be wrong on this, but isnt the Anderson lane closure part of converting it and South to two-way traffic for a stretch? http://www.trans4mation.org/fdot/index/tra...5a5fa181d007524.

a 2 way south st would just be wierd...its always been 1 way:)

I can see this happening though considering the arena.

Ahh, that probably means 50 tops, but hey that's not bad :thumbsup:

I'm guessing it would LAST 100 years, with proper maintenance but would it be worth anything then?

Because Carnegie Hall isn't worth anything, at almost 120 years.

That is the beauty of investing in a great concert hall. Not much has changed in the basic, central criteria over the past few hundred years. Build a structurally sound hall with great accoustics and common space, and the Orlando Philharmonic won't be begging for more "luxury boxes" in 50 years, let alone 15. The Bob Carr/Municipal Auditorium sucked since day one but then again, Orlando was still a cow town, so I'm not blaming anyone. But, at this point, there is no reason Orlando shouldn't build a top-of-the-line facility, and there is no reason why a top-of-the-line facility shouldn't last.

Edited by uncreativeusername

Of course Carnegie Hall got superseded by Lincoln Center after about 80 years and they've been fighting ever since as to which building (or buildings in the case of the latter) is superior. They probably won't be fighting over Carr <g>. Having lived in Nashville on the other hand, I was amazed they were able to build a new Symphony Hall so quickly. TPAC opened in the late 70's - it was called the TENNESSEE PAC because Nashville couldn't afford to build it and had to incorporate it into a state office bldg and museum to get it done.

Like many such facilities, it was serviceable but not much else. Now they have really gone out for an amazing new building.

Because Carnegie Hall isn't worth anything, at almost 120 years.

That is the beauty of investing in a great concert hall. Not much has changed in the basic, central criteria over the past few hundred years. Build a structurally sound hall with great accoustics and common space, and the Orlando Philharmonic won't be begging for more "luxury boxes" in 50 years, let alone 15. The Bob Carr/Municipal Auditorium sucked since day one but then again, Orlando was still a cow town, so I'm not blaming anyone. But, at this point, there is no reason Orlando shouldn't build a top-of-the-line facility, and there is no reason why a top-of-the-line facility shouldn't last.

As I said-

It's only worth building if we do it right. And no it won't need more skyboxes later. Let's create something with lasting value not something we're ashamed of in 10 years compared to the rest of DT. SO-I agree.

Of course Carnegie Hall got superseded by Lincoln Center after about 80 years and they've been fighting ever since as to which building (or buildings in the case of the latter) is superior. They probably won't be fighting over Carr <g>. Having lived in Nashville on the other hand, I was amazed they were able to build a new Symphony Hall so quickly. TPAC opened in the late 70's - it was called the TENNESSEE PAC because Nashville couldn't afford to build it and had to incorporate it into a state office bldg and museum to get it done.

Like many such facilities, it was serviceable but not much else. Now they have really gone out for an amazing new building.

I am a native Nashvilleian living her in Otown. Good to see theres more then one of us from Nashville on here.

Commissioners OK land purchase for arena

Orlando commissioners voted to buy the land favored for a new arena for the Orlando Magic today for $35.5 million, despite concerns from residents and a commissioner that the purchase is premature.

The city will pay $86.89 per square foot for the 9.4-acre site, which runs south from the southwest corner of the intersection of West Church Street and Hughey Avenue. The land is now owned by Carolina Florida Properties, a group of North Carolina investors that assembled dozens of parcels in Parramore in the 1990s.

The City Council voted 6-1 in favor of the purchase, agreeing with Mayor Buddy Dyer that the land is the best site because of its visibility from Interstate 4 and the East-West Expressway, and its position between the planned Performing Arts Center and the Citrus Bowl.

Commissioner Phil Diamond voted against it, saying the city was moving too quickly. The land shouldn't be purchased before funding agreements between the city and Orange County and a lease between the city and the Orlando Magic are in place, Diamond said.

Orlando Sentinel Article

Alright, now that Dyer, Crotty and the Magic seem to be on the right page for once, what kind of timetable are they looking at to get a final design of the new arena and then begin building it in order to make the fall 2010 completion?

Also, when does anyone think that the city will begin to demolish the block across from city hall to begin the PAC?

I am confused, who is actually building these projects? I assume that they will all be owned by the city, but what is the role of OPAC? Are they just organizing and planning or will they have some sort of ownership?

Of course it sounds like the arena will be built and they keys handed to Rich DeVos but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. But the Magic did submit their plans for the arena so are they overseeing the construction?

I guess my question is what is the city's/county's role in these projects? Are they just handing the money over to the groups who will be using them to construct what they want or is the city/county actually going to be in charge of the construction. And who will actually own the finished projects? OPAC? Magic? I guess what is confusing me is the recurring phrase "building the arena for a billionaire." If the Magic are tenant and don't have an ownership interest in the building how is this different from any other building with a major tenant? Does the owner typically have the major tenant pay for the construction?

Maybe I'm just naive or maybe I'm just a Magic fan who thinks that without a new arena the Magic will be outa here.