Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

The only reason Disney advertises Orlando is because they don't have their own airport. Otherwise, that company would rather disassociate itself in every way possible. We filthy Orlandoans disgust the rodent, remember?

Don't give them any ideas. I'm sure Reedy Creek could build an airport out there if they wanted to.

I wouldn't be suprised if they looked into it after the local govt considered building light rail that would stop at Universal/I-drive before it stopped at Disney (from the airport).

i want the arena downtown....... but i must throw this in.

im pretty sure the detroit pistons used to play in joe louis arena in downttown detroit. they moved and now play in the palace in auburn hills...... some 40 miles to the northwest of downtown..... even in another county.

they are still called the DETROIT PISTONS.

I would rather have it downtown, its better for the downtown businesses, Iam a magic fan and go to at least 7 or 8 games a year and always hit up a bar or club downtown afterwards. Why should I be forced to go to City walk and pay $7.50 for a beer or drive 10 miles into town when im already half drunk. And isnt the commuter rail not going to be bypassing I drive? I think the Marlins are a good idea, and I think this town is ready for another pro team. Hey I just remembered, correct me if iam wrong but isnt San Antonio's Alamo dome set up for basketball but can also handle big field sports like football and baseball, if this is true why not do that here, build a huge $500 million stadium that can be converted to different sports, that would surely make a huge visual impact downtown and be very innovative and smart!

I would rather have it downtown, its better for the downtown businesses, Iam a magic fan and go to at least 7 or 8 games a year and always hit up a bar or club downtown afterwards. Why should I be forced to go to City walk and pay $7.50 for a beer or drive 10 miles into town when im already half drunk. And isnt the commuter rail not going to be bypassing I drive? I think the Marlins are a good idea, and I think this town is ready for another pro team. Hey I just remembered, correct me if iam wrong but isnt San Antonio's Alamo dome set up for basketball but can also handle big field sports like football and baseball, if this is true why not do that here, build a huge $500 million stadium that can be converted to different sports, that would surely make a huge visual impact downtown and be very innovative and smart!

As long as football/basketball/baseball season aren't overlapping.

I just wish we had it as good as Denver. The metro area is roughly the same population as Orlando and they have NBA, NFL, and MLB teams. They're baseball stadium is downtown and the Nuggets and the Broncos play within 5-10 minutes of downtown. Not to mention they already have multiple light rails and their version of the Lymmo are these hybrid-super-efficient busses that come every 30 seconds. Maybe in 5-10 years...

Not that UCF is going to be using the Citrus Bowl after this year, but did anyone catch the nationally televised game on Tuesday. They blew it. They were giving away free tickets and still couldn't fill the Citrus Bowl. Heck, they couldn't even fill the lower bowl portion.

If UCF dont start winning some games the stadium will be empty.Seems like they are going backwards and not forward.That loss didnt help recuiting either

I just wish we had it as good as Denver. The metro area is roughly the same population as Orlando and they have NBA, NFL, and MLB teams. They're baseball stadium is downtown and the Nuggets and the Broncos play within 5-10 minutes of downtown.

as far as professional sports go...... you must remember that denver is the only decent sized city within a 500 or so mile radius in that area of the country.

as far as professional sports go...... you must remember that denver is the only decent sized city within a 500 or so mile radius in that area of the country.

Same goes for some other cities. Indianapolis has NFL, NBA, and AAA baseball and is not as big as Orlando. Pitssburgh has NFL, MLB, NHL and is just a little larger than Orlando, but not for much longer. Nashville has NHL and NFL and is a smaller market. Ditto for Buffalo with NFL, NHL, and AAA baseball. Charlotte with NFL, NBA, and AAA baseball, same with New Orleans. Kansas City is about the same population as Orlando or a little smaller and has MLB and NFL. I'm sure I'm missing others too. The point is... Orlando is way under represented in sports teams. Proximity to other markets has a lot to do with it, but come on.

Same goes for some other cities. Indianapolis has NFL, NBA, and AAA baseball and is not as big as Orlando. Pitssburgh has NFL, MLB, NHL and is just a little larger than Orlando, but not for much longer. Nashville has NHL and NFL and is a smaller market. Ditto for Buffalo with NFL, NHL, and AAA baseball. Charlotte with NFL, NBA, and AAA baseball, same with New Orleans. Kansas City is about the same population as Orlando or a little smaller and has MLB and NFL. I'm sure I'm missing others too. The point is... Orlando is way under represented in sports teams. Proximity to other markets has a lot to do with it, but come on.

I think the pro franchise inventory nationwide has hit a critical mass of sorts and ORL just wasn't big enough at the right times to capitalize on it, i.e., if ORL was 2M people in the early '90's, then we might have had the Jags. or, maybe I'm wrong, and it's as simple as poor prospective owner representation to these sports leagues.

I think the pro franchise inventory nationwide has hit a critical mass of sorts and ORL just wasn't big enough at the right times to capitalize on it, i.e., if ORL was 2M people in the early '90's, then we might have had the Jags. or, maybe I'm wrong, and it's as simple as poor prospective owner representation to these sports leagues.

I think you are hitting the nail right on the head.

ORLANDO SENTINEL: Deal near on new arena

Downtown facility for Magic, renovated Citrus Bowl, performing-arts center are included

Negotiators said Thursday that they are close to a deal that would build a new arena, performing-arts center and renovated Citrus Bowl -- each with a pared-down price tag -- and ensures the Orlando Magic keep playing downtown.

The agreement, which sources said may be announced as early as today, includes a Magic contribution of more than $100 million. More than $40 million of it would be in cash, and the rest would come from revenue generated by the facility itself and credit guarantees from the team and its billionaire owner, Rich DeVos. Magic officials continue to refuse to offer a firm cash figure, citing ongoing talks.

ORLANDO SENTINEL

I like how small-minded folk in the article state that 3 large venues would be too much for downtown orlando. Too much in what way? 3 large venues would actually make downtown a true destination, which is what we're going for, right?

One thing about Buddy is that, like it or not, when he has a vision for something he pretty much follows through with it without regard to other peoples opinions. Remember how quickly mccrorys was demolished, followed by the outcry from the downtown historic preservationists? I hope this falls out the same way.

IMO getting the public too involved can slow things down, and overall do more harm than good. That is of course my $.02.

I like how small-minded folk in the article state that 3 large venues would be too much for downtown orlando. Too much in what way? 3 large venues would actually make downtown a true destination, which is what we're going for, right?

One thing about Buddy is that, like it or not, when he has a vision for something he pretty much follows through with it without regard to other peoples opinions. Remember how quickly mccrorys was demolished, followed by the outcry from the downtown historic preservationists? I hope this falls out the same way.

IMO getting the public too involved can slow things down, and overall do more harm than good. That is of course my $.02.

Yes, I remember the shady bulldozers-in-the-night dealings.

Why are we renovating the citrus bowl though? 195 million dollars is a waste of money for a handful of foot ball games a year. Orlando will never have an NFL team because there are too many NFL teams in the area. I think we should pursue the Marlins rather then renovate the citrus bowl.

Edited by Violindude

Why are we renovating the citrus bowl though? 195 million dollars is a waste of money for a handful of foot ball games a year. Orlando will never have an NFL team because there are too many NFL teams in the area. I think we should pursue the Marlins rather then renovate the citrus bowl.

You're asking the question that was asked too seldom and which was slapped down wehn it was asked.