Good New Restaurants

Ok so Block & Grinder is probably my new favorite restaurant. They specialize in all things meat, sourcing everything locally and butchering/grinding/curing everything in house. I had the best steak I've ever had and my girlfriend had the best burger she's ever had! I finally tried bone marrow as an appetizer and was not disappointed. Great specialty cocktails too. Its not exactly cheap, but much more reasonable and casual than a steakhouse. 

Tried out Longboards in Dilworth last night.  Very good Cilantro Lime Mahi tacos.  The tortillas they were served in were very fresh and flakey.  Had to be homemade.  Their house salsas were delicious as well.  I was also happy that they had local brews on draft and had a Triple C IPA with my meal.  Overall a good experience.  They seemed quite busy too so hopefully something finally sticks at this location.

Just back from Longboards. They have a nice selection of drafts (NoDa Jam Session (my new fav) was $5) and the interior is much improved since the Picassos and Sutton House days. The beef and pork tacos were good, chicken was very bland however. I thought that the salsas were disappointing (the 'house' was tasteless mush, the roja was thin and not at all spicy, the Pineapple salsa was pretty good but also spiceless, they were out of the tomatillo). Prices were high for a taco joint but pretty average for an East blvd place.

While I didn't love it I liked the beer and atmosphere enough to return and give the food another shot.

When you go to Bill Spoon's, take cash.  No credit/debit cards.  And make sure you try the the Brunswick Stew--it is kick ass.

I finally made it to Spoon's last night. Hands down the best BBQ I've had in Charlotte. I can't say I like it as well as Lex BBQ or Little Richards in Winston-Salem, but it is good (and much closer). I also really liked the friendliness of the staff. That goes a long way I think at any restaurant. When the owner (or owner's son?) found out it was the first time there, he really went out of his way to make us feel welcome. I'll be back. BTW, they take debit and credit cards. Thanks for the recommendation!

I finally made it to Spoon's last night. Hands down the best BBQ I've had in Charlotte. I can't say I like it as well as Lex BBQ or Little Richards in Winston-Salem, but it is good (and much closer). I also really liked the friendliness of the staff. That goes a long way I think at any restaurant. When the owner (or owner's son?) found out it was the first time there, he really went out of his way to make us feel welcome. I'll be back. BTW, they take debit and credit cards. Thanks for the recommendation!

Steve Spoon is a friend of mine and he IS the owner. He bought the place from his gramps. I started going there when Bill Spoon ran the place and he was the same way. Just one of the nicest man ive ever met.

• Like 1

Great!  And good to know he takes credit/debit cards now.  He probably has for a long time and I simply didn't realize it.

• Like 1

I wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move it if there's a better topic.

Fourth Ward Bread Co will be opening within a couple weeks.  I stopped by when I saw movement inside and new signage out front.   The owner let me in when he saw me looking inside so I chatted with him for a good 20min and took some pics.  Lots of info, so I'll try to remember it all.

He used to be an engineer and then went to culinary school, and his son went to culinary school and trained in Europe so they want this to be a "European style" bakery, similar to what you would find in NY/NJ where they used to live.  All fresh produce, eggs, and meats from local farmers (if possible), and all the bread will be baked daily.  Coffee is organic and from a local roaster.  Their menu will include breakfast, lunch, and dinner to go along with the bakery side of the business for breads and some desserts.  They are also going to get into "TRUE NY style pizza" and Bianca from their own dough.

If they get the permits, they will do a hot dog type stand uptown by the square to help get the name out and to do more business for the office crowd.  It also sounded like you could call in an order to be picked up at any time or to be delivered to the residences and offices nearby the bakery.

They'll be doing a big event in the parking lot next to the building sometime in August to help get the name out.  He didn't get into detail, but apparently there was some issues with the building that delayed the opening for so long.  Permiting?

If they produce breads and food the way they say they will, and can get foot traffic through the door, I think this will be a big addition to uptown living.  My family complains whenever they come down about the lack of a good bakery nearby, so I'm really looking forward to this. 

The website still isn't updated, but here it is:

www.fourthwardbreadco.com

5-29-13

i-9RFVQQn-M.jpg

i-KXLVXND-M.jpg

i-8hwZHmK-M.jpg

i-WJpVQV2-M.jpg

• Like 1

Where exactly is this? Sounds like it will be a neat place.

And, while I appreciate your nostalgia for the type things you grew  up with, it is possible to have a proper bakery without it being anything like something from NY/NJ. Most small towns (and certainly large cities) in the south used to have them. They died out for the same reason most mom & pop businesses have. I welcome any privately owned, non-chain businesses, esp. restaurants (or in this case bakeries).

Edited by jednc

I'm digging all the new beer loving restaurants coming to Plaza Midwood. I just don't understand how Central Ave between Pecan and Thomas has avoided all these new developments? Other than 22 and Soul, which are relatively new and successful, and Novas which seems busy, I have no idea how some of those businesses make enough money to keep their doors open. I guess I'm curious to hear what people think of that strip of Central Ave.

I'm digging all the new beer loving restaurants coming to Plaza Midwood. I just don't understand how Central Ave between Pecan and Thomas has avoided all these new developments? Other than 22 and Soul, which are relatively new and successful, and Novas which seems busy, I have no idea how some of those businesses make enough money to keep their doors open. I guess I'm curious to hear what people think of that strip of Central Ave.

The area between Pecan and Thomas is full. Hard to open a new restaurant in an already occupied space.

The other restaurants further down Central all seem to do very well. Intermezzo, Loco Lime, Kick Stand, and Joe Hoopers all have a good amount of customers every time I'm there. I see a fair amount of people walking down the street in these areas. Mostly likely from the apartments that are built over on Hawthorne. Street activity will only improve as more apartments are built in the area. With the Nook coming online, the mill conversion to apartments on Hawthorne, and The Lofts at Seigle Point under construction, you have >300 new apartments units within a half mile walk of the businesses on the side of the rail road tracks that is closer to Uptown.

Oh my word!  I had no idea.  This is an Austin must for me.  The Elvis Presley Memorial Combo.  Bring it.

edit: It is a little sad, however, that really it's just another nasty chain now. Oh well.

Edited by grodney

You have >300 new apartments units within a half mile walk of the businesses on the side of the rail road tracks that is closer to Uptown.

Meanwhile Southend has 10x that number of multifamily units (plus the blue line) but the restrauant sceen there is a pale imitation of Plaza/central/Hawthorne.

Charlotte needs more old cheap space

[whine over]

I was about to respond last night saying SouthEnd had a good restaurant representation, but I realized that many of SouthEnd's restaurants are small chains (Zucca, Luciano's, Sullivan's, Tupelo Honey - coming soon). But I started thinking and there is a pretty good representation of local restaurants too. Phat Burrito, Luna's Living Kitchen, Mac's Speed Shop, Greek Isles, All American Pub, Tavern on the Tracks, Bite Your Tongue, Crispy Crepe, Icehouse, Vin Master, Big Ben, Pike's, Sauceman's, Common Market, Nova's Bakery, Fuel Pizza, Owen's Bagel, and you could include a lot more if you went down East Blvd. just representing my hood here. It's not a bad scene in SouthEnd either.

That being said, I visited the Crispy Crepe for the first time tonight. Got a crepe to go and enjoyed a few beers at World of Beer with dinner. I had the Pecorino Chicken crepe, and wow...it was amazing. About a 12" crepe, filled with romaine, Caesar dressing, and chicken, and then folded in quarters and covered in melted cheese. I was a bit doubtful, as this was my first crepe meal, but it was delicious and very filling. What I thought would be a healthy meal probably wasn't - both in quantity and general healthiness. It was a huge portion and was a bit greasy, but not too much and not in a bad way - just added flavor. Just enough to let me now that I wasn't eating a super healthy meal.

I can't wait to try some other crepes from there. This is going to be a new staple for me in this neighborhood. Loved it!

Kind of old news, but Sauceman's won BBQ Pitmaster for the NC BBQ competition on Destination America. The sign has been up at their store for a while, but I just watched the some of the footage tonight. Though I am an Eastern style fan myself, it's awesome that Charlotte, known as a BBQ desert in NC, got the win. Sauceman's is probably the second best in Charlotte IMO, but Bill Spoon's is the winner for me just because it's Eastern style.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a restaurant, but I just felt the need to mention Foodie Call. I ordered from there tonight, and I do on almost a weekly basis. I think we are incredibly lucky for a metro of our size to have such a diverse selection of restaurants to be able to receive delivery from. Almost any cuisine you desire is available a call away. I think that Foodie Call is an asset to the city. In Chicago or New York, sure, I would expect this. But in Charlotte, I just can't believe that we have a food delivery service so diverse (and quick!) at our disposal. If you aren't familiar with it, you need to check it out if you like a night in, but don't want to cook!

• Like 1