Good New Restaurants

evidently according to the internet (LOL) Charlotte is a home of one of these Pizza Hut Classics which is decorated like the old school locations of my youth.  anyone know which one?

he current list of known Pizza Hut Classic locations:  from 2021 

Warren, OH
Kilmarnock, VA
Bryson City, NC
Tunkhannock, PA
Sayre, PA
Potsdam, NY
Spring Lake Park, MN
Wadena, MN
Park Rapids, MN
Eureka Springs, AR
Dahlonega, GA
Clayton, GA
Lavonia, GA
Carrizo Springs, TX
Fairfield, TX
Fredericksburg, TX
Geneseo, Illinois
Charlotte, NC
St. James, MN
Litchfield, MN

this list says there is one in Charlotte but this list does not include a Charlotte location but some nearby in Monroe and Albemarle.

The Retrologist's Guide to Pizza Hut Classics (substack.com)  this list is from 2022 and has more NC locations 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well one less uptown steakhouse but it has been replaced over the Ritz Carlton Hotel.

""The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte in uptown has put the finishing touches on a multimillion-dollar renovation project that lasted more than six months.

The luxury hotel revamped its meeting space and spa and added a signature restaurant, The Fifth Fork. That venue — the last completed piece — opened earlier this month. It’s adjacent to the hotel's lobby, occupying the former BLT Steak space, which closed late last year after a 15-year run.

“I think it’s vital to at least have something. It keeps the revenue in the building. It gives our guests options,” Michael Matthews, director of sales and marketing, says.

The Fifth Fork blends Southern hospitality with modern vibes. It also presented an opportunity to highlight executive chef Saravanan Appadurai, who has cultivated a menu with specialty steaks, fresh seafood dishes and locally sourced menu items.

Think local specialties such as The Carolina Skillet, which pairs barbecue steak tips, a fried green tomato and Ashe County habanero cheddar hollandaise; the Outer Banks jumbo shrimp; and the signature Faroe Island salmon. Sides will include Southern-infused specialties.""

Uptown's Ritz-Carlton hotel adds restaurant as it wraps renovation - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

More restaurants Chef Bobby Flay will open a burger joint in the high rise Southpark Towers.

Celebrity chef Bobby Flay's burger restaurant coming to SouthPark - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""A growing restaurant brand by celebrity chef Bobby Flay is coming to Charlotte — with help from a local industry veteran.

Bobby’s Burgers by Bobby Flay is expected to open in the spring at The Towers at SouthPark, according to a press release. This location is expected to serve as a research and development center and franchise training hub. 

The restaurant will be owned and run by a Charlotte-based corporate team. The partnership includes key investors as well as prominent local restaurateur Frank Scibelli. ""

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yama Loso Village will soft open tomorrow.

https://www.yamaloso.com/

It supposed to be the new location for Yama Izakaya when it was closed due to plaza midwood re-development in 2020.

But not sure how much legacy will be in the new place or it will be a new concept.

https://beacondevelopment.com/news/restaurateur-birdie-yang-set-to-open-yama-as-part-of-14m-push-into-lower-south-end

Also some background on the owner and the place.

Coquette

Coquette opened about five months ago at 400 South Tryon, the building most known as Wachovia with the gun slit gold film windows in the tower. Ground floor corner location. French food and style is their approach. My online reservation request for soonest dinner required a ten day wait. 

Parking for dinner is in the deck with access from Church Street. Parking is partially validated. 12$ parking (two hours), 7$ for restaurant sticker so 5$ on card (or cash) at the machine near the exit.

The space is small for contemporary restaurants. I counted about 60 total seats, not including bar. All tables were taken on this Friday evening at 7:45 p. m.. The clientele was dressed Charlotte casual. Young women in jeans with ripped knees; Christian Girl Autumn would be a step up from this crowd. I was the only man in a a blazer or suit jacket. At least five tables of 2-5 women age 24-34. A few couples, a single man next to us, and larger groups fill the rest. At this capacity the room is loud. We were at a two top against a wall and thus with sound from one side and thankful for that small consideration. If your purpose is intimate conversation this is not the place or time. 

Menu is completely French inspired. Classics such as Boeuf Bourguignon, Cassoulet with crispy duck leg, Moules (mussels) and the like. Wine list is complete without being intimidating. One page list, no book with numerous pages. We chose Crémant to start. Crémant is a French bubbly from outside the Champagne A. O. C. Region. In my experience it is as good as a house Champagne and 6-8$ less per glass. Served here in a coupe glass rather than a flute. Silverware is mixed vintage pieces as if dining in a heritage home. 

Our sequence after the bubbly was a mushroom tartine, two main dishes and Clafoutis, a baked cherry dessert, that is presented in a ramekin with ice cream if you wish. We shared the tartine and clafoutis. 

Food was well prepared and accessible. Courses came in proper order and with moderate gap between them. Service was uncommonly fine for Charlotte. We noticed that the director/sommelier circulated and when speaking to us and to others he placed a hand on the shoulder during conversation. Touch is powerful. Our waiter did the like, at least to my companion. Also he knelt to confer with us about our meal. This behavior must be encouraged by the management. I appreciate it. My guess is that from the director down to the servers there is some country club experience in their past.

The time to achieve a table means this place has found a niche in the dining environment. Decent-to-good true French cuisine is a limited option in town. There is another French restaurant down the street from Coquette but in truth there is only this one representing the style.

Bill with items for two mentioned above, tax and tip, was 200$. If one chooses a starter and a small plate rather than a main dish it will reduce the charge a modest amount. 

The ambience is pleasant except for the sound level. Even at 9:15 p. m. the room was still active with maybe two-three tables vacant so time of dining will not affect this issue unless one comes at opening. The price is another issue. They seem (rightly) confident that the management food/price/value choices can be accepted by their public. I will keep this as a special event, celebration location. Visiting with friends will be affected by the ability to have a conversation so not likely in our case.

I welcome Coquette to our city.

Edited by videtur quam contuor
  • Thanks 4

On 2/24/2024 at 11:27 AM, videtur quam contuor said:

Christian Girl Autumn would be a step up from this crowd.

Lol. 

I gave my dad a gift certificate to take my mom there for Christmas - they really liked it and thought everything was much better than La Belle Helene down the block. They've been back for both dinner and brunch since then and have made it part of their Charlotte restaurant repertoire. 

I don't eat beef or pork, don't like cooked oysters/mussels (raw is fine - I don't like the texture of cooked mussels), and I'm not a big fan of cream/dairy laden sauces, so I usually have a really hard time at French restaurants, but the menu at Coquette looks good...the Halibut Provencal looks quite nice. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...