Good New Restaurants

HahHahaha. The Knights have ruined the rest of us for construction projects. This is a restaurant owner without the budget for hundreds of workers, lol. A year is a long time for a bar/Restaurant but fox and hound needed a lot of love even when it was open.

Very true, that place is a dump. But it is a GREAT venue with a ton of potential.

I have very high hopes for this project, it will be a huge multilevel space.

Also, hoping it spurs activity in this area. Fox & Hound was never much of a draw and Rock Bottom, to be honest i don't really know how popular it is. But I know Duckworth's is extremely popular, mix that with Rock Bottom and the new Martini Bar, as I mentioned in the other thread, very good for the area.

The small building at 400 S Graham behind the stadium is supposedly being converted into a restaurant. 

Back when I lived in Charlotte, and i was working for an Ad Agency, that was a photo studio. Its actually a decently big building and would make a pretty damn good restaurant. Its more or less a blank slate and would be a pretty easy conversion. They just need to make it less 50s and foreboding.

Source? And that would be cool, what is that building now?

Reached out to my old creative director. To the best of his knowledge its still a photo studio. At least it was a year or so ago. 

Edited by Guest

Source? And that would be cool, what is that building now?

A friend in the leasing world told me, so not a direct source, but I did just do a plan search and there is an open file entitled "Graham Street Restaurant" with the description "up-fitting existing office building to be a restaurant and adding patio" 

That would be an awesome use of that building, since that block is unlikely to see redevelopment soon due to the electrical substation. Its unfortunate though that it will be surrounded by a retail-less Woodfield Apartments (though good to have residential next door), and facing the back wall of the ballpark and back of a parking deck. At least the corner of the parking deck across Graham could still see an infill project. 

That would be an awesome use of that building, since that block is unlikely to see redevelopment soon due to the electrical substation. Its unfortunate though that it will be surrounded by a retail-less Woodfield Apartments (though good to have residential next door), and facing the back wall of the ballpark and back of a parking deck. At least the corner of the parking deck across Graham could still see an infill project. 

Woodfield at Graham has been asked to revise its siteplan. Hopefully to incorporate a retail space. "The Mint" had to to get it approved.

• 2 weeks later...

Helen Schwab posted a brutal review of La Tagliatella at the Epicentre this morning. Has anyone been there? Is her description accurate? The menu online certainly doesn't seem to indicate the amount of Swiss cheese and chorizo used on the pizzas as she describes. In fact there is no mention of Swiss cheese and only one pizza with chorizo out of 18 pizzas. I was hoping to take my mom to this place next time she's in town because she loves a good Italian restaurant, but this review has me second guessing that...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/02/20/4710365/answers-to-an-italian-esque-uptown.html#.UwbMB14aGWA

Helen Schwab posted a brutal review of La Tagliatella at the Epicentre this morning. Has anyone been there? Is her description accurate? The menu online certainly doesn't seem to indicate the amount of Swiss cheese and chorizo used on the pizzas as she describes. In fact there is no mention of Swiss cheese and only one pizza with chorizo out of 18 pizzas. I was hoping to take my mom to this place next time she's in town because she loves a good Italian restaurant, but this review has me second guessing that...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/02/20/4710365/answers-to-an-italian-esque-uptown.html#.UwbMB14aGWA

I posted about this in Epicentre Retail Thread, and people seem to disagree with her assessment. Interestingly I've heard decent reviews of the place.

From what I've heard, Luciano in South End is the place you should take mom, All rave reviews.

• Like 1

I agree with Helen and put La Tagliatella a distant last in the rankings of italian restaurants around Uptown. Ate there once and it was awful. Not even in the same class as the top 5.

1. Luce
  2. Luciano's
  3. Vivace
  4. Fiamma
  5. Aria
  6. Mama Ricotta's
  7. Vapiano's
  8. Carrabba's
  9. Open Kitchen
  10. La Tagliatella

I agree with Helen and put La Tagliatella a distant last in the rankings of italian restaurants around Uptown. Ate there once and it was awful. Not even in the same class as the top 5.

1. Luce
  2. Luciano's
  3. Vivace
  4. Fiamma
  5. Aria
  6. Mama Ricotta's
  7. Vapiano's
  8. Carrabba's
  9. Open Kitchen
  10. La Tagliatella

Below Open Kitchen! Buuuurn. 

Frankly I'm avoiding the place for the same sort of issues with its core concept that Helen lists. I love Vapiano and it sounds like that is probably the closest comparison, but they are quick, cheap, modern, and not so treacle and back-patting about their concept as Tagliatella seems to be. Plus really good pasta.  

Okay probably not as bad as Open Kitchen but at least O.K. doesn't pretend to be great italian food.

I don't think anyone is as terrible as Open kitchen! Open Kitchen opened back in the 50's and thrived during that era because there was no other Italian restaurants and people were not educated with authentic Italian or Italian-American cuisine in Charlotte back then. Now things have changed. The standard of quality here in this city has changed and the competition has multiplied. Getting sauce out of a can and frozen pastas are not what people want anymore. Plus the taste isn't all that great there. I haven't tried La Tagliatella but I love Luciano's :)

1. Luce
  2. Luciano's
  3. Vivace
  4. Fiamma
  5. Aria
  6. Mama Ricotta's
  7. Vapiano's
  8. Carrabba's
  9. Open Kitchen
  10. La Tagliatella

I've been to every one of those except for La Tagliatella. If it's below Carabba's, then it's a no-go for me!

I would also note that even though it's not around uptown, Villa Antonio is awesome - I would probably place that after Fiamma on your list.

I don't think anyone is as terrible as Open kitchen! Open Kitchen opened back in the 50's and thrived during that era because there was no other Italian restaurants and people were not educated with authentic Italian or Italian-American cuisine in Charlotte back then. Now things have changed. The standard of quality here in this city has changed and the competition has multiplied. Getting sauce out of a can and frozen pastas are not what people want anymore. Plus the taste isn't all that great there. I haven't tried La Tagliatella but I love Luciano's :)

Open Kitchen is an institution, though! Even though it's not authentic Italian food, the baked spaghetti, smothered in mozzarella cheese there holds a place in my heart.