Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Agreed on the ground-level retail for Nuvox. Hopefully whoever the architect is has enough sense to suggest that if it's not already in the plans

I hope so too. I wonder how many renovations they will make, though? After a certain point, it might be cheaper to build a new building rather than renovate and add on to the current one. :dontknow:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope so too. I wonder how many renovations they will make, though? After a certain point, it might be cheaper to build a new building rather than renovate and add on to the current one. :dontknow:

Whether it's important to them or not, they do have a good bit of Main Street frontage. That could be what's keeping them there, but at the same time, they could also probably fetch a good deal of money for that property.

I'm ready for some of these TBA's to happen... :rolleyes:

I don't know, with the price of ink it may be cheaper to add a couple of stories instead of getting the stationary redesigned and reprinted! ;)

tba's for April 11th

• OMG Studios will be making a nifty announcement next week reguarding programming. This company in the West End produces the popular sports/entertainment radio show "Gasoline" and in addition runs a music recording studio...

Cool...I never hear too much about them. A friend of mine was interning there last year.

Cool...I never hear too much about them. A friend of mine was interning there last year.
They produced and recorded Edwin McCain's latest album (Lost In America) and Civil Twilight's first album, among many others. Interestingly, the partners at OMG helped to attract Grammy award winning producer Noel Golden from L.A., however he has since opened his own production company in Greenville, Golden Music.

You might also find Sit-n-Spin Recording Studio interesting. It is more affordable, but a great way to get started when you have less to work with or just need a demo tape/disc.

Here are the Greenville Journal TBAs for April 18, 2008:

-Dunkin' Donuts is coming to downtown Greenville. Or is it? Rumors of the popular chain looking for a place on Piazza Bergamo have created a small firestorm of petitioners who don't want the company to locate there. Expect to see a fierce battle in the next few months...

-The CU-ICAR campus continues to make some interesting strides. Look for an announcement at the end of this month about a "green" building plan at the automotive research park located on the city's southern edge...

-The city of Greenville is looking to add a second recycling center, which on face value doesn't sound like it has much to do with economic development, but believe it or not, recent surveys show that the availability of recycling is a major plus when it comes to quality of life, which of course is a big boon to economic development...

-Look to hear more about unified efforts to lure corporate offices to downtown Greenville. That market has been sluggish downtown for awhile now. Getting more corporate offices and headquarters downtown could help fill up some of the vacant space as well as give a push to all of those long-awaited projects that have been sitting on architects' drawing boards for months...

-Several buildings in the Green Avenue neighborhood have been marked for demolition by the city. This area is changing due to the downtown baseball stadium...

Thanks for posting!

I'm not quite sure I understand why people would be against DD locating near or at Piazza Bergamo. They wouldn't be building their own standalone store there, would they? Other than that I see no problem.

I'm intrigued by this CU-ICAR announcement. I guess this next week should produce it, but what is it? All the buildings there are 'green' in terms of LEED certification, if I'm not mistaken... We already have some idea of the collaboration buildings, so the fact that they'd be green and might be getting built doesn't seem to fulfill any of the hype that the TBA suggests. Maybe a nature-oriented building is going to be constructed???

Thanks for posting!

I'm not quite sure I understand why people would be against DD locating near or at Piazza Bergamo. They wouldn't be building their own standalone store there, would they? Other than that I see no problem.

I'm intrigued by this CU-ICAR announcement. I guess this next week should produce it, but what is it? All the buildings there are 'green' in terms of LEED certification, if I'm not mistaken... We already have some idea of the collaboration buildings, so the fact that they'd be green and might be getting built doesn't seem to fulfill any of the hype that the TBA suggests. Maybe a nature-oriented building is going to be constructed???

The Timken building is getting some kind of award for being "green." (And I don't mean money.)

This is crazy, but I've heard that the Coffee Underground people -- don't know if that means the owners or the patrons -- don't want the competition. That Coffee & Main is "their" corner. Personally, I think that competition is generally a good thing for all businesses involved (if the business model is sound to begin with), and besides, DD & CU are such different concepts. I've said before I'm a huge DD fan, so I hope it works out. Plus, I think they're the kind of national retailer that helps prove to out-of-town visitors that we're a growing urban market.

Hmmm, I hadn't actually thought about the whole competition aspect. That would make sense, but like you said, they're totally different places/concepts. I tend to go to Coffee Underground for the atmosphere. If anything, I'd think that Port City Java might would be more of a direct competitor for DD than Coffee Underground. Despite who it is, I hope DD comes downtown. Coffee Underground seems to have a good and loyal following and would only be hurt minimally.

This is crazy, but I've heard that the Coffee Underground people -- don't know if that means the owners or the patrons -- don't want the competition. That Coffee & Main is "their" corner. Personally, I think that competition is generally a good thing for all businesses involved (if the business model is sound to begin with), and besides, DD & CU are such different concepts. I've said before I'm a huge DD fan, so I hope it works out. Plus, I think they're the kind of national retailer that helps prove to out-of-town visitors that we're a growing urban market.

I agree that Coffee Underground is crazy to be concerned about a Dunkin' Donuts nearby. I would have expected them to be protesting Starbucks' arrival in the West End more than this. DD is a donut place that is also known for its coffee. You go for the food, not the atmosphere. In contrast, Coffee Underground is a place you go to relax, chat, and have coffee or tea. You might also expect some live music or something. Very different from Dunkin' Donuts!

Maybe we should publicize Coffee Underground's "protest," so that way people can be informed the next time they are going out for coffee. I like Coffee Underground and support it when I can - especially with out-of-town visitors. But if their objection to Dunkin' Donuts is legitimate, then I might have to start going to Port City, Starbucks, or Spill the Beans more often. -_-

Perhaps they're just concerned that Dunkin' Doughnuts will put something spectacular in that location. To be completely honest, despite understanding your point regarding the differences in business concept, I would be a little concerned as well. DD has the money and the high profile image to establish a unique presence in downtown Greenville if they want it. I could imagine a lounge setting with live music in a new urban store at the Piazza Bergamo. Hopefully this will happen and both places will strengthen one another and thus the rest of downtown. :)

Perhaps they're just concerned that Dunkin' Doughnuts will put something spectacular in that location. To be completely honest, despite understanding your point regarding the differences in business concept, I would be a little concerned as well. DD has the money and the high profile image to establish a unique presence in downtown Greenville if they want it. I could imagine a lounge setting with live music in a new urban store at the Piazza Bergamo. Hopefully this will happen and both places will strengthen one another and thus the rest of downtown. :)

If anything a Dunkin Donuts there would help Coffee Underground based on my recent experiences. I would think if anything it would be that DD looks too "chainish" for the section of town. I know Marble Slab is a chain but when it first arrived I thought it was an original as I had never heard of the chain before. Piazzo Bergamo has an original entreprenueral look.

I don't see what is wrong with a nice mix of local places and nationally recognized chains. Different strokes for different folks, right? :)

I stand corrected. I forgot about Port City Java that was close to the center of town and also Mast General Store. Personally I don't have anything against chains myself. As I have said before I would love for Krispy Kreme to open back up in the West End. I have fond memories of that growing up. It just seems that in recent years downtown has attracted more independent shops and it's always nice to see those given a chance in such a prominent location but then again we have lost some independent shops too.

The other night I reluctantly went to the Dunkin Donuts in Travelers Rest because I needed to return some library items and wanted to get some items they had at that location plus I did have a taste for a donut and figured I would experiment with Dunkin Donuts one more time but sadly the donuts were dry, cold and didn't have the personality of Krispy Kreme Donuts. I'm not encouring overeating or going overboard with junk food but Krispy Kreme is a great experience when enjoyed in moderation. I'm not one of those who sits at the counter everyday. It's more like a once or twice a month thing for me.

Heck at one time a lot of dept. storie chains were downtown but I don't think Coffee Undergound would have anything to be worried about.

Here are the Greenville Journal TBAs for April 25, 2008:

• The city and the developer of RiverPlace are said to be working on the project again. The city has decided to put aside some of its tax increment finance money to help spur the retail/housing project.
  • Developers and the city are finalizing costs for a waterfall and public restrooms as part of the mixed-use development at the corner of Main and Broad streets (The Marriot project).
  • There is talk that the crane at the Peacock hotel site could be in use again. Finances may soon be worked out.
  • Some developments could be coming within the next 60 days to Greenville Municipal Stadium. The city has hoped that whatever goes on the site will be compatible with the nearby Lake Constee preservation area.
  • The city is working to expand its bus services. Look for 30-minute routes in some areas as well as renovations to start on the downtown transfer station by the end of May. There is also talk of extending service out to key commercial areas, such as the Shops at Greenridge.

Here are the Greenville Journal TBAs for April 25, 2008:

• The city and the developer of RiverPlace are said to be working on the project again. The city has decided to put aside some of its tax increment finance money to help spur the retail/housing project.

I talked to one of the artists in Art Crossing today and she said that they are planning 8 more art studios in the new phase. I also seem to remember either the Mayor or Phil Hughes in conversation saying that the remaining phase of Riverplace will have 5 more buildings added to the mix.

Perhaps these things have been discussed on here already. Can anyone confirm?

In a way I am kinda surprised about the additional studios, but that is a good thing. The current ones must be doing well. Last I heard, the rest of RP was to have 4 buildings, so not sure about the fifth. Anyone else?
The additional studios have been planned since the first ones were opened over a year ago. The City wanted to see how well they would be received prior to committing financial support for any others. They immediately learned that these studios are a hugely successful attraction and therefore wasted no time in resolving to add several more as the development continues to expand along the river. :shades:

TBA's from the May 2, 2008 Journal:

• Greenvuhl is ramping up efforts to recruit corporate offices into downtown. A proposal is floating around calling for someone whose sole responsibility is to get companies to locate downtown - or at least somewhere inside the city. Specifically, companies from over-grown and over-crowded Atlanta and Charlotte are being targeted.
  • Another tower crane will be going in soon at the corner of Broad and Main for the Marriott project (my own interjection: perhaps they can simply borrow the one from the Peacock and return it before the Peacock needs it again).
  • Plans for the new Federal Courthouse are (shock) still at a standstill. Government for ya: no consensus can be reached with regard to which of the three sites (Camperdown Way, West Washington, or East North) to choose. I have an idea - THROW DARTS!!!!
  • Attendance to Artisphere is reported to have been near 100,000, in spite of the rain (and in spite of the Greenville News reporting on Saturday that "hundreds" of people attended the event).
  • Plans for the new park (Maybury Park, Mayberry Park, Cleveland Park West, Knox White Park, or whatever it will eventually be called) should be more detailed and available soon. The development of this park is something that the city wishes to prioritize...has been in the works for several years now.

An article titled "A tasty scoop" about entrepreneurs finding their "sweet spot" indicates that the new owner of Spill the Beans, Sarah Curtis, has leased the 4,770 sq. ft. space in Falls Place where the Boat House Restaurant had previously intended to open. A new set of French doors will open on the side of the building to the plaza under the awning at the entrance to Falls Park. The new location will also include a news stand (this is something Greenville has been missing, IMHO - a good out of town news stand), a conference room will be avaialble free of charge, a new menu with a broader selection of hot teas, sweet teas, and oatmeal mixed with your choice of 50 toppings for breakfast.

Archived