Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Based on the information, it seems like Nuvox may be the company mentioned in the Greenville Journal. For the sake of discussion, let's assume that it is indeed Nuvox. If they are to stay downtown, how much space would they need? Does anyone have any idea how many employees they have scattered throughout various downtown buildings? I would love for them to be part of a new highrise. :)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what I could find:

NuVox's National HQ is in downtown Greenville. As a part of this, Greenville's offices include a call center which employs 130. Their call center includes incoming customer service and outgoing sales. In addition to this, I'm not sure how many more people are employed by Nuvox. (Source: PDF -- Greenville Economic Development

This is random, but through my searches, I also found this, which I thought was interesting. Nothing new, but fun to see:

Greenville County New Jobs & Investment for 5 years (2002-2006):

YEAR ----------- NEW JOBS ------------- NEW INVESTMENT

2002 -------------- 783 ---------------------- $254.7 Million

2003 -------------- 925 ---------------------- $400.0 Million

2004 ------------ 1,586 ---------------------- $305.5 Million

2005 ------------ 1,123 ---------------------- $158.0 Million

2006 ------------ 1,922 ---------------------- $298.5 Million

...A major downtown employer is trying to decide whether to stay in the CBD or move. If they stay, they'd be in a larger structure, which would mean construction on Main Street...
It is very intriguing that the company or organization apparently "must" be located on Main Street in order to stay in the CBD. That was my reasoning for considering the local governments as possibilities. If NuVox is indeed the company (though I am not conviced of that yet), then there are certainly a few locations on Main Street where they should be able to collaborate with a developer to build something new. Main at McBee, Main at Washington Street (Woolworth redevelopment), Main at Broad (both corners), South Main in the West End, and somewhere on North Main between Beattie Place and Stone Avenue. The possibilities are certainly available in the CBD, so I would hope that they could work out the details to stay downtown. There are other candidates (companies) around downtown with the potential to be looking for expansion space, but the wording of the TBA implies that they would only consider a Main Street location, meaning it seems less likely that most companies would go that far (strictly limit themselves) to stay in the CBD as opposed to moving out to the suburbs.

Here are the Greenville Journal TBAs for March 21, 2008:

-Some major companies are said to be scouting around Greenville, looking to build distribution centers similar to the Walgreens facility in Anderson. That could mean some high-paying jobs...

-Some redevelopment is going on near the intersection of Woodruff Road and Interstate 85. The former Donut Connection is being demolished and there is some talk of a new tenant going into the former Cracker Barrel on that stretch of frontage road...

-Expect to see some of the first changes in the county's parks and recreation plan in the next few weeks. The overhaul and revamping of public parks is seen as a way to improve the ever-elusive high quality of life, which is a main economic development tool for the region...

-Greenville county government will soon unveil a new, more streamlined web site...

-Clemson's relationship with Dale Earnhardt Enterprises continues to expand. Five professors went to the company's North Carolina facilities this week to work on several development projects...

-Work has ramped up on the Wetherhill Park project in the Dunean community. This will be one of the first new developments in this neighborhood just outside of city limits in decades. Roads are in place as well as part of a stone entranceway...

There is also an article about Innoventure 2008, which will held at the Carolina First Center soon.

Who, the journal or bi-lo?

The Journal, silly. :P

This week's Journal had a nice short article with the title "Light Rail May Be In Greenville's Future" and it went on to not mention light rail at all - simply talked about the proposed BRT line between downtown and CU-ICAR and put a price tag of around $100M on it. GEESH. May as well go for LRT with that kind of expense for BRT. :rolleyes:

The TBAs weren't that earth-moving this week - one that caught my attention said there would be a major announcement about a project along Main Street in Downtown within the next week or so. I assume this would be the long-awaited Main & Washington TIC project.

There was also a short article about the Roadzyme test at Furman. The article talked it up a bit, but unless they somehow rake out and remove all of the large objects/obstacles/obstructions I think a Roadzyme-treated surface, as ecological/inexpensive/quick as it would be, wouldn't be safe or practical for most of the target audience that would be using the trail.

You can still get it at Publix (if you don't mind paying for it). It's free at Horizon Records.

Last week I was checking out and Publix and told the cashier I was going to go pick up a Journal and to go ahead and add it in. When I got back to the check out lane, she said "Oh, the Journal is free." I told her I was glad to hear that, since it has always been free at Bi-Lo." I also told her it would be nice if everyone knew it since I had paid for it quite a few times there. They may have just changed recently, however, and made it free. I will occasionally pay for one, but usually try to find a free one if I can. I have found the Bi-Lo I go to will have them about 2 out of 3 weeks.

TBA's from April 4 edition:

- Expect to see Dunkin Donuts become a major player with the Greenville Drive this season. Tha Mass. based chain has strong ties to the Boston Red Sox, the Drive's parent team. In addition, the chain has made a major expansion in this region....

- An announcement could be coming soon for a retail development near the intersection of Interstate 85 and Pelham Road....

- Greenville County Recreation District is planning an expanded water park at Southside Park, as well as new ones at Lakeside Park and Northside Park. Construction of slides and water features similar to Southside's Discovery Island, could start next year at Northside......

- The city is moving forward with the demolition of several buildings in the Green Avenue neighborhood as part of a larger revitalization of the area, which is near Fluor Field.....

- Minor rumblings about new life for the old Highway Patrol Building at Pleasantburg and Laurens.....

- Nominations are being accepted for the Silver Crescent Awards, which are given to companies that are excelling in manufacturing........

Sorry - mine's already been recycled. I don't really remember seeing the TBAs in this week's or the April 4th one, for that matter. Of course, I've not had much time to skim through it before it's hit the recycling these past couple of weeks, but has the Journal's layount changed?

tba's for April 11th

• Some big announcements could be coming soon for McBee Station. A high-end restaurant that will feature a brunch menu is in the works. A former chef at Rick Erwin's is a key part of the restaurant team. In addition, there is interest in several of the storefronts in the development, which brought big-box stores such as Publix and Staples downtown. The site seems to be doing well as the Publix has easily exceeded sales projections...

• More information on burying Duke Energy power lines in the city of Greenville could be coming soon. It could include a 1 percent increase in franchise fees by the time Duke signs its new contract with the city at the end of June...

• The Upstate Alliance is getting a lot of visits and calls from potential business clients, but none have signed, due to the tight economy. Meanwhile, the economic development marketing agency is gearing up to launch its improved web site by the end of the year. That was one of the challenges presented to the group during its annual meeting last month. GIS mapping software will be a key new feature...

• OMG Studios will be making a nifty announcement next week reguarding programming. This company in the West End produces the popular sports/entertainment radio show "Gasoline" and in addition runs a music recording studio...

I wonder what the definition of "build" is in this case? Considering the possibility that NuVox may need to expand, would they be an instant candidate to actually build something new on Main Street, or just lease and upfit space for their offices?

Following up on this conversation. There hasn't been any mention here on UP of the Nuvox plan to build up and add additional floors to their existing location at Main and Washington....along with additional jobs. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Just thought I'd throw it out for discussion as our speculation was several pages back.

Following up on this conversation. There hasn't been any mention here on UP of the Nuvox plan to build up and add additional floors to their existing location at Main and Washington....along with additional jobs. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Just thought I'd throw it out for discussion as our speculation was several pages back.

I assume the additional floors will be setback from the front, so as to be in keeping with the main St setback requirement. No taller than 35 feet for the front 50 feet (or is that backwards).

Personally, I'd like them to vacate the majority of the first floor, and move those offices to a higher floor. That way retail can backfill the space on the first floor.

Archived