Belmont @ Freemason Progress

okinawatyphoon

Walking around the site for this project this weekend I realized that a few 7-story towers will not be an insignificant addition to this location. This picture is of a 9-story building that will be just across the street from the completed Belmont - the rough equivalent of a few more of these will have a tremendous impact there.

435178615_7a98e85d60_o.jpg

Also, CP, I was not referring to the part of Northern Freemason where all those local shops are - I was referring Specifically to the YMCA, which I will concede provides a lot for the neighborhood even if it is ugly, and the vast empty spaces East of there to Boush St. I cannot understand imposing restrictions on redevelopment of downtown parking lots.

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Based on what I learned at the quarterly meeting of the Freemason Street Area Association last night, this agenda item may be delayed to fine tune the request. The Freemason neighborhood is very protective of the northern border, and I think they had something to do with the reduction in height. The zoning to D-3 by itself would allow any kind of height with no parking requirements to be followed. Based on comments received, there is an expectation that this rezoning will no include a 7 story limit for this two blocks so that a 20-30 story tower will not replace the YMCA one day or the businesses at Duke and York.

I also was able to get a copy of the latest elevations and renderings dated March 7 and 14. I like what I see and think it will look nice.

The neigborhood association is greatly concerned about the impact of this project and light rail which will take away a lot of existing on-street parking on York.

I had fun but it is good to be home. Miami is just too damn big! (never thought I'd here myself say that :lol:). It helps me appreciate the more pedestrian scale of things we have back here in Norfolk (you ever try to cross a street in downtown Miami? :scared: ). I have a few pics but it rained half the time and the other half of the time I was too busy to even think about it. I'll post the few pictures I have in the off-topic thread when I get a chance.

Per the site plan, the seven story parking garage will have 510 spaces.

340 will be "residential spaces" for the Belmont @ Freemason renters.

170 speces will be for the YMCA.

The 170 is close to what the YMCA has now on their lot, from what I have been told.

So, the loss of all the on-street parking on York St. will be a complete loss, not even counting the additional "competition" for parking from any visitors to Belmont residents.

Wow! :shok: This thing looks fantastic! I think most here will like the change. It may be 7 stories but it will be 115ft high providing for a substantial presence. Honestly, I think we wound up with a better, more urban, project.

Belmontschematicresize.jpg

Belmontrendering1.jpg

Belmontrendering2enlarged.jpg

Belmontrendering2street.jpg

Belmontrendering3.jpg

Belmontrendering41.jpg

Belmontrendering42.jpg

Belmontgarageelevation.jpg

That third rendering looks like something straight out of New York! I can't wait for this to start now. What a fantastic project. I cannot understand for the life of me why they put that crappy rendering in the norfolk development brochure. We did all that complaining for nothing. :lol:

Archived