Belmont @ Freemason Progress

okinawatyphoon

The mayor recognizes this as a viable project though and hopefully it will go forward though maybe not as we see it now.

Mayor Paul Fraim agreed to the delay but said he hopes to take up the issue next week. "This is a good project," he said. "We want it to go forward."

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm.... well first off, I am annoyed that the vote was delayed abruptly. As someone living close to the area where the project is scheduled to go, I don't see it as that big of a deal. I think the prospect of having light rail built, this project and the Brambleton Bridge out simultaneously is the most worrying to me because it will mean detours and the like. But that is never permanent.

But the density issues are absurd. The lot and surrounding buildings are blight. There is a neat old house across the street from that lot that looks on the verge of collapsing. Maybe this would spark some interest in getting that renovated. And the other dumpy properties in the near vicinity that need some work.

The people who live in the Freemason are self-absorbed, pompous elitists who don't want to share with others. This is a case of the few being more important than the many. They have a sense of right, all others be damned. What gives them the right to decide this issue? You have a vacant parking lot, worth tons of money and these people want to keep it that way. It makes that part of downtown look run down, they should be thrilled to have this project, as it will only increase their property values. When I was younger I lived in the brown apartment building by the YMCA and the people I met fit this description very well. The city aught to build a two story Walmart there instead and see how they like that.

Haha. :lol: Well, not to be deterred it looks like the council has added this project ot the consent agenda and closed the public hearing.

Matter of a PUBLIC HEARING scheduled this day pursuant to action of the Council on May 15, 2007, under the State law, public notice having been inserted in the local press by the City Clerk on the application of Kotarides Developers, to change the zoning from HC-WF2 (West Freemason Historic and Cultural Conservation) District to Conditional D-3 (Freemason/Granby Conservation and Mixed Use) District; to create and implement the West Freemason Area Development Transition Overlay District (WFADTO); and to close and discontinue a variable width, not of the southern portion of Brambleton Avenue. (Public Hearing Closed at the meeting of June 5, 2007)

The will vote on the development certificate tommorrow too.

Matter of a letter from the City Manager and an Ordinance entitled,

So does this mean that this project is no longer subject to public hearings? Is it basically saying "now that we've heard all opinions and views, we will make our decision on x date"? If so, I hope they go ahead with re-zoning and approval so we can get this project built. If the Freemason people still get mad oh well. The developer and city re-designed it with all of the original demands and any more complaining is just nonsense and selfishness.

So does this mean that this project is no longer subject to public hearings? Is it basically saying "now that we've heard all opinions and views, we will make our decision on x date"? If so, I hope they go ahead with re-zoning and approval so we can get this project built. If the Freemason people still get mad oh well. The developer and city re-designed it with all of the original demands and any more complaining is just nonsense and selfishness.

When an item is placed on the consent agenda, it is placed there because all agree that the item will likely be approved and they can vote on that item with no further comment. It is a way for the council to quickly move through agenda items when there is no contention amongst them. The public hearing has been held and is now closed. Basically, this project will be approved tommorrow. The vote is a mere formality.

Ah, you know what, you're right. There was only one item under the consent agenda, which is unusual, and Kotarides is the next item directly after that. That's probably why I made that mistake. What about the rest of this Pirate? Can you shed anymore light on what the residents of this area are thinking? I watched the council meeting but I must admit to being a little confused as to exactly what the issue is. I got the impression that the main objection was the rezoning of the Y parking lot. Is this correct?

Vote delayed for an additional 2 weeks <_<

Meanwhile, the council unanimously voted to delay a decision for two weeks on the Belmont at Freemason, a 241-unit apartment complex that Kotarides Development plans to build in the historic Freemason area.

The $40 million development, four years in the making, was delayed for a week over zoning issues a week ago. Those issues are not yet resolved.

I don't think density of the apt complex is any longer the issue. Even if the project were changed to a 1-story, 3-unit complex, I think the residents' conerns still would not be resolved. It seems the main issue is whether the Y could be replaced with high-density housing due to the rezoning of the Belmont. Apparently, there are parking issues to be resolved as well. All those concerns seem to have little to do with the size or design of the Belmont project.

Freemason Faces Changes

The Historic Freemason District is a treasure. So pleaded Warren Alec to the Norfolk City Council last Tuesday. Freemason is a precious metal, he said: "24 karat gold." If the City follows through on its proposed rezoning of the area, its value would significantly diminish.

The proposal on the docket would change a portion of the district from HC-WF 2 to conditional D-3. This zoning change could potentially bring construction of much taller buildings, destruction of green space and loss of already limited on-street residential parking. If the proposal passes, buildings up to 65 feet on the Bute Street side and 90 feet on the York Street side could be constructed.

The proposed change riled many residents who have strong emotional ties to the area distinguished by its cobblestone streets, turn-of-the-century mansions and peaceful aura tucked in between Brambleton Avenue, the downtown business district and Town Point Park.

I guess the idiots want to keep that ugly parking lot there! I'm tired of idiots in this area pushing development away and then complaining that there aren't good jobs and such. Would a company want to relocate here with all the crap companies that are trying to developing projects deal with. I wouldn't!

Thanks for these sentiments. I've been saying this kind of thing about Portfolio for years. They belong to the same company as the Virginian Pilot, so they rarely say anything positive. Apparently, they are afraid no one will take them seriously if they do anything other than criticize. Well guess what, Portfolio? I don't take you seriously now.

Portfolio Weekly never lets the facts get in the way of their agenda.......

Thanks for these sentiments. I've been saying this kind of thing about Portfolio for years. They belong to the same company as the Virginian Pilot, so they rarely say anything positive. Apparently, they are afraid no one will take them seriously if they do anything other than criticize. Well guess what, Portfolio? I don't take you seriously now.

I vote this the "Quote of the Week." :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived