Belmont @ Freemason Progress

okinawatyphoon

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG I saw that 510 parking space figure before reading on to see that many of them are for the YMCA, and my face looked like this... :shok:

The height limit isn't a bad thing here. Although this site is next to a proposed transit station, there is a lot of density here. The most densely populated city in the U.S.A. (Union City, NJ) is full of mostly 4-story rowhouses, few if any buildings are over 10 stories. Height doesn't always = density. You can create a ton of density in low buildings.

The only things I don't like about this are the fact that the two "main" buildings are going to look like twins side by side. I usually don't like that. Also, there could be some pre-fab panels on the exterior, which is kinda blah IMO.

BUT, I think the scaling of this project is nice and refreshing, and I'm looking forward to seeing this project develop. It will be a very good thing for Norfolk. And these are rental units, right? Are studio apartments common in Norfolk at all?

The Belmont application was withdrawn from the March, 22nd agenda. I can only conclude that this was the delay you were referring to Chesapeake. Any idea on when they plan on resubmitting? Are will still on track for a Summer groundbreaking?

CITY OF NORFOLK, for the following applications: WITHDRAWN

a. For a change of zoning from HC-WF2 (West Freemason Historic and Cultural Conservation) District to conditional D-3 (Freemason/Granby Conservation and Mixed Use) District on property bounded by Brambleton Avenue to the north, Duke Street to the east, Bute Street to the south and Dunmore Street to the west. The General Plan of Norfolk 1992 depicts the site as mixed use. The purpose of the rezoning is to permit the site to be developed with residential units and a parking garage.

b. For the closing and discontinuing of a variable width, not exceeding 25 feet, of the southern portion of Brambleton Avenue extending from Yarmouth Street eastwardly to Duke Street .

Ooo this is the one. I was looking at renting a property near it, and they were being ahats about it because they believe that this building will cause the value of their other delapidated proeprty to skyrocket, and they can sell it (the spot was on York st.).

As always my stance is, BUILD IT! We need more inventory. There is only like 11,000 more homes+condos on the market now versus a year or two ago, we need even more to help drive a stake into the speculative market that is the housing mania. Once the builders start offering to sell for $50K - $100K less than recent investors/buyers, then the show gets good.

Meanwhile, I rented a storage unit. Cavalier Land can eat it, and I'm going to save money for the global economic collapse.

Will they be co-op (owner occupied) apartments or rented from a management company?

Rental inventory does affect speculation in that the availability of rental units (potentially at a significantly lower price than purchasing a condo or co-op) could influence someone's decision on when and what to mortgage.

Will they be co-op (owner occupied) apartments or rented from a management company?

Rental inventory does affect speculation in that the availability of rental units (potentially at a significantly lower price than purchasing a condo or co-op) could influence someone's decision on when and what to mortgage.

Ohh okay. Cool! More apartment inventory! Watch the recent specuvestors squirm even more as they can't rent out their 388 Bousch Street units.

(I've heard that there are issues there with noise... parking garage noise at night is very loud from people leaving the clubs?).

It looks like they have finished retooling the zoning and this matter goes back before the planning commission on April 27th.

7. CITY PLANNING COMMISSION, for the following applications on property bounded by Brambleton Avenue to the north, Duke Street to the east, Bute Street to the south and Dunmore Street to the west:

a. For a change of zoning from HC-WF2 (West Freemason Historic and Cultural Conservation) District to conditional D-3 (Freemason/Granby Conservation and Mixed Use) District. The General Plan of Norfolk 1992 depicts the site as mixed use. The purpose of the rezoning is to permit the site to be developed with residential units and a parking garage.

b. To create and implement the West Freemason Area Development Transition Overlay District (WFADTO).

c. For the closing and discontinuing of a variable width, not exceeding 25 feet, of the southern portion of Brambleton Avenue extending from Yarmouth Street eastwardly to Duke Street .

• 2 weeks later...

Following is a report of someone who attended the Design Review Committee meeting on Monday:

"I attended the Design Review Committee meeting yesterday. The proposed development of the YMCA parking lot and Lot 56 were on the agenda for final review. Lucky for us, DRC was still not satisfied with the designs and materials so they did not get final approval.

The push is for more brick, less stucco-like material, and to use materials that are in alignment with those required in HC-WF. They also spoke about the transformer that would be on the Brambleton Avenue side of the building and I reminded them about the concerns previously expressed about the pump station, transformer, in the next lot, as well as the proposed light rail station, and the need for screening.

They also presented the landscape design and listed a variety of plants. Overall, it looked good; however, it was suggested that they coordinate the plant selection with the City. Not having a green thumb, I did not comment on the design.

I did say that we wanted building materials to be like those in our neighborhood and that we did not expect the project to be mediocre especially because of the amount of foot traffic in that area.

I think they (Kotarides and Humphrey and Partners) were disappointed that final approval was not given. I don't know if it was my imagination, but I thought some of the answers given in response to specific questions were vague."

The report itself is vague. I don't know whether it's a good or bad thing that the Design review committee was not satisfied. The last renderings looked very good and this project has been delayed enough already. What's your take on it? Have you seen anything to suggest this current design is not appropriate? I'm hoping we don't wind up with a less than stellar or watered down design. The last one looked pretty promising and while it's good for it to fit in with freemason, a little variety wouldn't hurt.

I think it's good. There seems to be concensus on the scale of the project, which we like, and the DRC is pushing for more brick, less EIFS, which is great! The problem we seem to have over and over is that all renderings here are done in watercolor (why???). It's easy to hide cheap building materials in watercolor prints. EIFS rarely looks good in a true color image. So while we get to see the Freedom Tower, the Sig, and the Fordham Spire in true color brilliant photo simulations, we see Granby Tower, Harbor Heights, and Belmont in kids' paint.

The report itself is vague. I don't know whether it's a good or bad thing that the Design review committee was not satisfied. The last renderings looked very good and this project has been delayed enough already. What's your take on it? Have you seen anything to suggest this current design is not appropriate? I'm hoping we don't wind up with a less than stellar or watered down design. The last one looked pretty promising and while it's good for it to fit in with freemason, a little variety wouldn't hurt.

Oh. Oh. Oh. One thing in that brochure to make note of, the Belmont at Freemason pic does look different than what we've seen before. The colors are much more... vivid? in this brochure. That's a pretty bright looking yellow, and colored EIFS is usually brightly colored EIFS. I'm just worried we'll end up with something in the color palette of McDonald's. Why do almost all Norfolk-area architects give only watercolor renderings? They're always so misleading. For example, look at the renderings for Bristol at Ghent and then look at a photo of the actual building.

Oh. Oh. Oh. One thing in that brochure to make note of, the Belmont at Freemason pic does look different than what we've seen before. The colors are much more... vivid? in this brochure. That's a pretty bright looking yellow, and colored EIFS is usually brightly colored EIFS. I'm just worried we'll end up with something in the color palette of McDonald's. Why do almost all Norfolk-area architects give only watercolor renderings? They're always so misleading. For example, look at the renderings for Bristol at Ghent and then look at a photo of the actual building.

Archived