Belmont @ Freemason Progress

okinawatyphoon

As a resident of the Freemason area, I am probably more annoyed with the pending light rail than with this project. To be honest, I see zero benefit in the LR as it stands (a streetcar would have been better and cheaper) but oh well. Maybe in 30 years when I retire, it will actually go somewhere besides the hood and I would actually ride it. Doubtful but hey, whatever.

I think that the biggest headache is not parking, but all the YMCA crowd jostling for spaces and driving like maniacs because they are too cheap to park in the lot. Every morning/afternoon they really clog up the streets on either side of the Y because they are too lazy to walk an extra few feet. If parking is such a major concern, there is a 4-5 story garage at the end of Bute that is always empty. Reduced evening rates would encourage more visitor parking there than on the street for this project. Especially if they spray the urine and dead birds out of the stairwells.

The solution I see to this parking conundrum would be to allow resident only parking at certain times or periods. Stockley Gardens allows 1 hour parking and something similar could be implemented in Freemason. Botetourt Street could also be turned into a one-way street (southbound) and parking spaces could be opened up along the side that does not allow parking.

I am happy with this project overall. It's a nice design that works with the neighborhood. I would rather see this than a 20 story tower. I would rather see the towers go up in Fort Norfolk... if that plan ever fully pans out.

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree about the Light Rail. Overall I think it is a good effort for the city and the region to jump on this bandwagon, but when VB pulled out, I think Norfolk should of redirected their attention to streetcars to connect the inner neighborhoods together. Would be a great step for the city to reduce its inner city traffic that way. But that is a different topic.

The new image of the building looks decent. It will fit into its context nicely, especially when viewed from the Hague. The original design would of been better, but what can you do. At least it isn't that dog puke proposal they submitted after killing the tower idea.

As a resident of the Freemason area, I am probably more annoyed with the pending light rail than with this project. To be honest, I see zero benefit in the LR as it stands (a streetcar would have been better and cheaper) but oh well. Maybe in 30 years when I retire, it will actually go somewhere besides the hood and I would actually ride it. Doubtful but hey, whatever.

I think that the biggest headache is not parking, but all the YMCA crowd jostling for spaces and driving like maniacs because they are too cheap to park in the lot. Every morning/afternoon they really clog up the streets on either side of the Y because they are too lazy to walk an extra few feet. If parking is such a major concern, there is a 4-5 story garage at the end of Bute that is always empty. Reduced evening rates would encourage more visitor parking there than on the street for this project. Especially if they spray the urine and dead birds out of the stairwells.

The solution I see to this parking conundrum would be to allow resident only parking at certain times or periods. Stockley Gardens allows 1 hour parking and something similar could be implemented in Freemason. Botetourt Street could also be turned into a one-way street (southbound) and parking spaces could be opened up along the side that does not allow parking.

I am happy with this project overall. It's a nice design that works with the neighborhood. I would rather see this than a 20 story tower. I would rather see the towers go up in Fort Norfolk... if that plan ever fully pans out.

Woah! Neighbor! Yea, the YMCA crowd street parking is sort of annoying. I can understand them not wanting to pay for parking though, $5 or whatever a day adds up over time.

There are a number of projects that seem stalled. Right beneath that billboard there is a building that appears to have all services disconnected and was supposed to be replaced by condos and offices, but nothing has happened with it. I contacted the company via email and never received a reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Long-awaited high-rise development forging ahead in Norfolk

There is absolutely no new information in this article, but at least the headline tells us it is "forging ahead". There is this picture, though, which I don't recall seeing before.

0603kotaride500x150.jpg

Edit: Nevermind, it's just a less detailed version of a picture on page 14 of this thread. I hope what we get resembles the former image more than this one.

Well at least it's urban, but I wouldn't call it a high-rise. I actually think it works in well with its location. You can't expect every project to be iconic and this will just add to the density of downtown. It will also stretch the boundaries of downtown aesthetically.

Well at least it's urban, but I wouldn't call it a high-rise. I actually think it works in well with its location. You can't expect every project to be iconic and this will just add to the density of downtown. It will also stretch the boundaries of downtown aesthetically.

However, other neighbors are still concerned, including members of the Freemason Street Area Association.

The civic group supports the Belmont project. The problem, said the Freemason group's Jack Kavanaugh, is that the city wants to rezone the entire block bound by York, Duke, Bute and Dunmore streets.

Neighbors worry that someone could come in one day and tear down the YMCA or nearby office buildings and build something large with no off-street parking in an area where on-street parking already is scarce.

The group has collected a couple of hundred signatures on a petition and plans to attend Tuesday night's council meeting, Kavanaugh said.

Representatives of Kotarides Developers could not be reached for comment Friday.

If the people who go to the Y would actually walk about a block and a half, I could see what you are talking about. What the Y brings is a crowd of rude people who want to come to the gym, park as close as they can and get back into their cars and leave. Not what I would call foot traffic. I find it ironic that they are there to get in shape, yet will sit in the road and try to manouver into a too small space for about ten minutes rather than walk an extra block. And they also have a nice habit of leaving purses and other valuables in plain site in these cars, which then attracts the car theives. I have seen at least two women sobbing at the Y lobby about having their purses stolen from their vehicles (here's a hint, hide it well or leave it at home) and I guess that the theives were psychic because both times, their cars were the only ones hit.

There are plenty of people who live in Freemason who also park on the street and actually walk around. These are the people that bring the neighborhood alive, not the Y crowd.

You have got to be kidding me

Vote delayed due to Freemason protest

The Belmont at Freemason, a 241-unit complex to be built in three buildings of seven stories each, drew criticism from nearly two dozen nearby residents who appeared before the council. Some argued that their downtown neighborhood, filled with a mix of small apartment complexes, historic homes and condominiums, cannot handle the density that the proposed development would bring. Latest Videos After listening to the criticism and hearing of an 11 th-hour zoning change proposed by the council, Kotarides Development representatives asked that a vote be delayed. Kotarides officials then left the meeting without comment.

Grrr...

Some argued that their downtown neighborhood, filled with a mix of small apartment complexes, historic homes and condominiums, cannot handle the density that the proposed development would bring.

Grrr...

I have been to Freemason, it is not that bad. If you want less density we have more than enough suburb to spare. Why choose to live in a downtown neighborhood? I understand being concerned about impacts on your neighborhood, you have a right to be. But a situation like this cannot be all take and no give. You cannot expect the city to keep a prime piece of downtown land, when we have so little to begin with, vacant forever. This is Nimbyism at it's worse because they have now gone from an area of legitimate concern into one of selfish endeavor. I am convinced now that they are hell bent to oppose this project in whatever form come hell or high water. The Kotarides should be commended for having bent over backwards, including several project redesigns, to accomodate residents concerns. If I were them, I'd just throw in the towel though. No need to waste anymore time or money when the end result will still be the same.

I could understand if this was a suburban neighborhood that was planning a urban development but this is a urban neighborhood. If they are that worried move somewhere else. These people are complete morons! I can't believe that there are NIMBYs in the freemason neighborhood of all places.

I could understand if this was a suburban neighborhood that was planning a urban development but this is a urban neighborhood. If they are that worried move somewhere else. These people are complete morons! I can't believe that there are NIMBYs in the freemason neighborhood of all places.

The people who live in the Freemason are self-absorbed, pompous elitists who don't want to share with others. This is a case of the few being more important than the many. They have a sense of right, all others be damned. What gives them the right to decide this issue? You have a vacant parking lot, worth tons of money and these people want to keep it that way. It makes that part of downtown look run down, they should be thrilled to have this project, as it will only increase their property values. When I was younger I lived in the brown apartment building by the YMCA and the people I met fit this description very well. The city aught to build a two story Walmart there instead and see how they like that.

I'm seriously pissed at those people complaining about this project. While I could to a certain extent understand their position, they obviously don't know their real position in the whole situation. They live in the city especially in a section that is extremely urbanized an the city and developer has went through a year and a half of complaining and crying from them to find a compromised. If I was the developer and the city, I'd say f^@k it and go and build it because they have done everything to satisfy the people's demands except their selfishness. Build Belmont and if the neighbors beotch about density and increased population and threaten to move, let them move, at least they aren't in the way anymore for people who want to be in an urban NOT suburban environment.

I'm seriously pissed at those people complaining about this project. While I could to a certain extent understand their position, they obviously don't know their real position in the whole situation. They live in the city especially in a section that is extremely urbanized an the city and developer has went through a year and a half of complaining and crying from them to find a compromised. If I was the developer and the city, I'd say f^@k it and go and build it because they have done everything to satisfy the people's demands except their selfishness. Build Belmont and if the neighbors beotch about density and increased population and threaten to move, let them move, at least they aren't in the way anymore for people who want to be in an urban NOT suburban environment.

Archived