Belmont @ Freemason Progress

okinawatyphoon

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent looking buildings. Definatley in keeping with the Freemason look!

The name Belmont already has a presence in Norfolk. There is a restaurant/club in Ghent on Colonial call the New Belmont. It is just off of 21st street. Has anyone been there? Does the restaurant and the new development have anything to do with each other, financeers, owners, etc?

:thumbsup:

Metalman

I love the renderings as well, they look fantastic. I've still got my fingers crossed that the renderings are the final product, and they don't cut corners or costs, less we have a Bristol development result, instead of these wonderful renderings......anyone tell i'm a pessimist at heart? :dontknow:

I like the design, the scale and the contextual fit a lot. I only hope that the detailing makes the Bute Street side work. Sometimes it's difficult to pull off several styles of facades on one side of a single building, but it could look great. The Brambleton face is a real winner. I love how the rooflines flow to that old medical office building to the east, and then Granby Tower. I like this much more than I liked the 20 story glass version.

Based on what I learned at the quarterly meeting of the Freemason Street Area Association last night, this agenda item may be delayed to fine tune the request. The Freemason neighborhood is very protective of the northern border, and I think they had something to do with the reduction in height. The zoning to D-3 by itself would allow any kind of height with no parking requirements to be followed. Based on comments received, there is an expectation that this rezoning will no include a 7 story limit for this two blocks so that a 20-30 story tower will not replace the YMCA one day or the businesses at Duke and York.

I also was able to get a copy of the latest elevations and renderings dated March 7 and 14. I like what I see and think it will look nice.

The neigborhood association is greatly concerned about the impact of this project and light rail which will take away a lot of existing on-street parking on York.

Very presumtious of those NIMBYs to try to impose height limits on development in that location. They didn't mind it looking like a poorly manicured wasteland for 30 years. The YMCA is not especially tall, but it's not pretty. It's downtown: density should be allowed in many forms. Quality of architecture, amenities and appropriateness of land use should be more important issues than height.

Very presumtious of those NIMBYs to try to impose height limits on development in that location. They didn't mind it looking like a poorly manicured wasteland for 30 years. The YMCA is not especially tall, but it's not pretty. It's downtown: density should be allowed in many forms. Quality of architecture, amenities and appropriateness of land use should be more important issues than height.

So they're looking for a 7-story height limit...and this is 7 stories. So are they okay with this development and just trying to establish the limit for future developments? Or is this particular project in any jeopardy?

Chesapeake...not to argue just for argument's sake, but this project is right across the street from a 20 story tower and one block away from a 34 story tower. It will be close to the LRT line (right on it). It is on a parking lot that has been an eyesore for 30 years (not to mention a symbol of economic feebleness). Additional height in that spot isn't going to gore anyone's ox. Neighborhoods always fight density, especially if there's height involved. Change is always stressful and threatening. But this is downtown, right along the biggest downtown arterial, and poised at the biggest node for future growth. That said, I think the design of the 7 storey project fits much better than that glass version, which would look better at the oceanfront. Actually, it would look better than almost anything now on the oceanfront.

Chesapeake...not to argue just for argument's sake, but this project is right across the street from a 20 story tower and one block away from a 34 story tower. It will be close to the LRT line (right on it). It is on a parking lot that has been an eyesore for 30 years (not to mention a symbol of economic feebleness). Additional height in that spot isn't going to gore anyone's ox. Neighborhoods always fight density, especially if there's height involved. Change is always stressful and threatening. But this is downtown, right along the biggest downtown arterial, and poised at the biggest node for future growth. That said, I think the design of the 7 storey project fits much better than that glass version, which would look better at the oceanfront. Actually, it would look better than almost anything now on the oceanfront.

Archived