Belmont @ Freemason Progress

okinawatyphoon

Actually... there is another piece of land that sits where Bistro and the bank building used to be across from the parking garage. It's all green and has trees now (where Brambleton curves to Boush Street). That is where the second, smaller building would go. I think that the bigger building would be on lot #1 by itself (with the sky bridge crossing Duke Street).

I already mentioned that lot but was told there is no way possible the garage would fit on that land.

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we can ask the city planning for the layout and if this latest drawing is up to date. Especially since they still show the Granby tower as two buildings.

I should clarify my statement, it was told to me in this thread that the garage would not fit on that land, nobody from Humphreys or the city told me that. I'm currently looking for some old LRT documents that described how rail interacted with that section of brambleton. I believe the LRT video even showed it going down that street.

If the building changed so could the LR pathway right there for it to be TOD.

I should clarify my statement, it was told to me in this thread that the garage would not fit on that land, nobody from Humphreys or the city told me that. I'm currently looking for some old LRT documents that described how rail interacted with that section of brambleton. I believe the LRT video even showed it going down that street.

I know that is why we need some kind of clarification on how this is laid out.

Watching the video again they show the York street station directly in front of the YMCA. It show that the tracks will be on that road passing between the YMCA and that big parking lot. With that in mind I think the orientation of the rendering has to be that side facing Brambleton. Now it could be that both the garage and the building sit on that one lot, and that they plan to divde that lot up and make a road in between the 2 buildings for garage access and that's what we're looking at here.

York Street Station

The York Street Station would be located on York Street, between Dunmore Street and Yarmouth Street, adjacent to the existing YMCA.

From the York Street Station, the alignment would continue in an easterly direction on the north side of York Street to Duke Street, turn south onto the west side of Duke Street for one block, and turn eastward again onto the center median of Bute Street. Two lanes of traffic (one lane each direction) would be maintained on the north and south sides of the LRT tracks on Bute Street. The alignment would follow Bute Street across Boush Street and would then turn onto the north side of Charlotte Street. The alignment would cross Granby Street and turn right, traveling on the center of Monticello Avenue to the Monticello Avenue Station.

12166_1_big.jpg

Project Details:

> 20, 4, and 3-story buildings with both podium and attached parking

> 250 units

Developer:

Kotarides Builders

Alright, after looking at this further, the street is Brambleton. I think what is confusing me is that the garage at the left of the tower. However, that is not the parking garage. That is the four story apartment buiding mentioned. If you look just behind the sails of the building, you can just make out the parking garage which would go on lot # 2. Sorry for all the confusion guys.

Yeah there's way more to this building than what we are seeing in this rendering. It says 20, 4, and 3-story buildings with both podium and attached parking below the rendering. This angle was just probably the sexiest, which is why they chose it.

Yeah there's way more to this building than what we are seeing in this rendering. It says 20, 4, and 3-story buildings with both podium and attached parking below the rendering. This angle was just probably the sexiest, which is why they chose it.

What do they mean by "podium" parking? And why do we never get to see all these different renderings?

What do they mean by "podium" parking? And why do we never get to see all these different renderings?

Podium parking typically means parking in the first several floors of the building. The parking is a "podium" upon which the occupiable portions of the building rest (see 150 W Main & Trader).

I still stand by my preference for the very first 7 story rendering (with adjacent townhouses), the new building is completely out of place, and I wouldn't buy a condo there. To paraphrase what someone else said, it resembles something out of Miami Vice.

Actually, I have a good friend who will be looking to buy in the DT area in the next 6-8 months, so this building is now one place to scratch off his list.

I still stand by my preference for the very first 7 story rendering (with adjacent townhouses), the new building is completely out of place, and I wouldn't buy a condo there. To paraphrase what someone else said, it resembles something out of Miami Vice.

Actually, I have a good friend who will be looking to buy in the DT area in the next 6-8 months, so this building is now one place to scratch off his list.

Its an apartment building. They are not condos and I think that this is an excellent building for Norfolk. Nothing wrong with a little bit of variety for the city.

I like this change of design, can't have everything in a city looking to pretend it is an old design. I think this building is going to add alot of character to that area and really stand out in a good way.

I have a hunch many people will change their minds when they see it finished.

In respect to the Trader tower, I didn't like the design of it, but as it is going up now, I do consider it a great addition to the city regardless of architectural content.

Minutes from last weeks council meeting

PH-2 PUBLIC HEARING scheduled this day under the State law, public notice having been inserted in the local press by the City Clerk to hear comment on the sale of City-owned property to, 152, LLC, known as Lot 56 on Brambleton Avenue.

Rodney Jordan, 512 W. 35th Street, urged Council to provide the opportunity for young working families to live in the downtown area.

Daniel Montague, 4605 Krick Street, questioned why the property was sold for a low price.

William Groom, 521 Graydon Avenue, urged Council not to approve the sale of the property unless the developer provides the minimum number of affordable housing units as required under the mandatory inclusionary zoning provision.

Andrew Wallach, 545 Mayflower Road, commented about the low selling price of the land and stated that units should be reserved for low- and middle-income residents.

Thereupon, an Ordinance entitled,

It seems to me that this design with glass and condcrete is EXACTLY the same as everything else going up right now in DT. I think that any of the previous renderings would look better and much more distinct of character than this.

not really, this build seems to be using the narrow look of the lot in its design more. It has a solid glass facade with an opposite more solid facade facing the historical neighborhood. I think this one does a better job paying respect to the area it is in.

Besides, Granby is more of a modern version of art deco. Trader is CMSS architecture, enough said. The Hoffler kind of resembles it, but that is too early to tell.

I think its previous design was too much VBTowncenter looking. (Good note is, now CMSS has another design they can rip off for the town center).

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I looked over the contract again for the purchase of lot 56 to see if I can decipher a possible start date on this project. Kotarides has 33 months to complete the project from the date of closing on the land (they closed on the land on March 28th, 2006) except in the case of unavoidable delays. Seeing as it will take 2 years to construct this tower we should be hearing something very shortly (hopefully) with regards to this project. I am very interested to see if they were able to acquire the land from the YMCA and surrounding property owners. This I feel is the most likely thing to hold this project up.

Archived