New Titans Stadium (60,000 capacity dome, ground level retail, directly east of Nissan Stadium)

markhollin

2 hours ago, samsonh said:

Will this land require increased police and fire presence from current levels? Yes, that is the entire idea of developing the land.  Will it require increased infrastructure spend? Yes.  Will adequate tax dollars be paid into city coffers from this development to cover those costs? No, because they will be going to debt service. 

This deal is similar to TIF deals. It is fine to make the tradeoff, but to say it doesn't cost existing taxpayers is factually incorrect. It absolutely does, since they are subsidizing city services that will be required and are not being paid for by the new development. 

Would you rather the city sell city owned land at fair market value and no restrictions on development (meaning hotels and STRs will be built), but collect all real estate tax revenue from future development for city services (police, teachers, hopefully affordable housing somewhere in the city), or have Fallon forego ground lease payments and real estate taxes and build 1,000+ affordable units at this location? The projected foregone ground lease / RET revenue over 30 years is $370MM (reported). There is no way Metro could build 1,000+ affordable units at an equivalent location with $370MM over 30 years. We desperately need affordable housing, and this is a great way to get it and have an established developer build it. 

In either scenario, the city will have to do infrastructure work and take on debt. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Would you rather the city sell city owned land at fair market value and no restrictions on development (meaning hotels and STRs will be built), but collect all real estate tax revenue from future development for city services (police, teachers, hopefully affordable housing somewhere in the city), or have Fallon forego ground lease payments and real estate taxes and build 1,000+ affordable units at this location? 

In either scenario, the city will have to do infrastructure work and take on debt. 

I am a free market believer so yes I would prefer the city sell the land. I think you would see denser development that generates higher revenue. I believe the best way to get affordable units is to increase by right zoning and build lots of housing. So if those were the options that's an easy answer from me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, samsonh said:

I am a free market believer so yes I would prefer the city sell the land. I think you would see denser development that generates higher revenue. I believe the best way to get affordable units is to increase by right zoning and build lots of housing. So if those were the options that's an easy answer from me. 

I think we can agree that for the city to get the highest $ for land, there would be no restrictions on what future buyers could build. So the trade off would be $ for more STRs/Hotels and no affordable housing. If the plan for metro would be to use some of sale proceeds and future tax revenue for affordable housing, I would bet that it would not be anywhere near downtown and would not be anywhere near 1,000 units.

I agree that as of right zoning for housing and increasing the overall supply (even if its all fair market) is the best way to slow price spiking. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess this just occurred to me because we have the Run Nash marathon this weekend but this is going to be a huge logistical challenge for the Country Music aka Rock N Roll Marathon series that occurs every April. It has always ended around the stadium for as long as I have participated  and wonder how they will adjust. They're going to need an end point that can accommodate a significant amount of people. One advantage of the current setup is they have sufficient space for all of the runners, fans, after party, parking, etc. Where else in Nashville does this exist that could easily tie in to downtown for the variety of race distances?

Actually, just reading that time line again I wonder if this becomes a logistical challenge as early as the upcoming run. It is in April 2024. So if earthwork and excavation starts in Feb/Mar 2024 I don't see how they can avoid a conflict.

Edited by glamdring269

1 hour ago, glamdring269 said:

I guess this just occurred to me because we have the Run Nash marathon this weekend but this is going to be a huge logistical challenge for the Country Music aka Rock N Roll Marathon series that occurs every April. It has always ended around the stadium for as long as I have participated  and wonder how they will adjust. They're going to need an end point that can accommodate a significant amount of people. One advantage of the current setup is they have sufficient space for all of the runners, fans, after party, parking, etc. Where else in Nashville does this exist that could easily tie in to downtown for the variety of race distances?

Actually, just reading that time line again I wonder if this becomes a logistical challenge as early as the upcoming run. It is in April 2024. So if earthwork and excavation starts in Feb/Mar 2024 I don't see how they can avoid a conflict.

Possibly Riverfront Park? Public Square Park? Cumberland Park (between the pedestrian bridge and KVB)? Hopefully for the road race's sake their leadership has been in touch with Metro and the construction team.

The logical challenges will be significant on a day-to-day basis just with the sheer amount of construction equipment and workers. The construction is also why the IndyCar series has re-drawn their track to avoid the stadium land. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Possibly Riverfront Park? Public Square Park? Cumberland Park (between the pedestrian bridge and KVB)? Hopefully for the road race's sake their leadership has been in touch with Metro and the construction team.

The logical challenges will be significant on a day-to-day basis just with the sheer amount of construction equipment and workers. The construction is also why the IndyCar series has re-drawn their track to avoid the stadium land. 

Seems like the marathon folks would need  square footage more like the size of Bicentennial Mall to handle the event size.....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Melrose said:

Seems like the marathon folks would need  square footage more like the size of Bicentennial Mall to handle the event size.....

And that's just for the finish. I'm not sure what they're going to do about the parking situation. Having that lot really close to the finish is huge after those longer distances. On the other hand, I'm not sure what the Titans are going to do either once this construction starts so maybe a nearby solution exists and I just don't know it.

Edited by glamdring269

1 hour ago, glamdring269 said:

On the other hand, I'm not sure what the Titans are going to do either once this construction starts so maybe a nearby solution exists and I just don't know it.

I haven't been to a Titans game in years where the East parking lot was actually full. Seems like it could easily be dispersed elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

I haven't been to a Titans game in years where the East parking lot was actually full. Seems like it could easily be dispersed elsewhere. 

Sorry I was not very clear. I guess my point was that the Titans probably have some sort of plan for whatever near-site parking that is going to be impacted due to this. But to your point, they might only need a contingency plan for a quarter of the available space.

The difference I guess is that for the marathon the entire parking lot is used for something. I can't remember the lot numbers but here is what I basically recall:

North Side: Dedicated to the run itself

West Side: Dedicated primarily to the finish line activities. Post-run nutrition, merch, BEER!, entertainment, etc.

South Side: I think this is used for parking but can't remember.

East Side: Parking. And it is always full as far as I can remember. They even use lots on the other side of Shelby and I'm sure there are still folks who show up late and find it difficult to get a spot.

Anyway, that is a lot of stuff for someone to figure out how to reposition. The logistics of the finish line portion is probably the most easily solvable... there are a lot of people in this run though so I don't want to downplay this as it is probably far more difficult to deal with than I can imagine. But even if they solve that they're going to need to find something that then easily connects tens of thousands of runners back with their vehicles. No one wants to walk an additional mile or two after finishing a half or full marathon.

• Like 2

I’m guessing a lot of events will have to find alternate locations for the next 3-4 years. On top of stadium construction, sometime within the next year , construction will start on the first phase of the surrounding neighborhood. They are planning on opening up the first area to coincide with the opening up of the stadium, it’s going to be a crowded and crazy space. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That basically confirms the RNR Nashville Marathon event is going to be challenging to say the least. The Tennessean article references February as the start date so given the RNR event is held in late April this will definitely have some impact. The organizers haven't said anything at this point but looking forward to seeing what the plan is for this.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...