Charlotte/Raleigh Highrise Building Booms

JacksonH

On 3/21/2022 at 9:22 PM, carolina1792 said:

NCDOT owns 4 major north-south streets in Downtown Raleigh they use for cross city traffic to the detriment of downtown. 

Is NCDOT actively malicious or just negligent? Is their charter just to focus on rural roads and dump mediocrity on the urban areas of the state, too little, too late?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember reading an article back then as well stating Charlotte as "The city Richmond loves to hate." It went into detail how Richmond was the superior business metro in the region, most Fortune 500 companies and all that. I'm not sure if Richmond was in the running for the Piedmont hub or not but it was something hub related that fell through. Charlotte gained a hub and became the growth juggernaut while Richmond, still an important business/industrial center, stagnated or grew at a significantly slower pace. Similar article about Raleigh years later. 

Edited by DownEast
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Slugs was originally at now named 2 Wells Fargo and Bentleys was always at Charlotte Plaza.  When Slugs closed Bentleys open afterwards in the "newer" building Charlotte Plaza. 

They had an amazing buffet at lunchtime.  My dad and I used to pass by all the long lines at the hotdog stands downstairs, catch the elevator up and eat a full course lunch for about the same price as a hotdog lunch. Never any lines. If I'm not mistaken they were closed initially because of lack of sneeze guards.  in reality, probably lack of customers. It was a bargain!

• Like 3

On 4/25/2022 at 2:42 PM, DownEast said:

Charlotte's banks were ruthless in those days. After Sovran left, Crestar was the by far the largest Richmond bank remaining. It was then promptly gobbled up by First Union.  I loved watching all those big east coast banks fall under our umbrella like Core States, Fleet... BB&T started to get hungry too. No bank was safe!

As the Banks need to inject tech into themselves, and a lot of the FinTech competitors are taking it on the nose right now, I expect it to happen again. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

^ Yes North Hills is booming   They are building this office tower https://kanerealtycorp.com/project/one-north-hills-tower/  and a huge RH store like the one at Phillips Place and an apartment tower https://kanerealtycorp.com/project/nhx-north-tower-apartments/    

North Hills in Raleigh is the densest suburban edge city between DC and Atlanta. 

Yes, and tower one is so close to the 440 belt-line that it will cast quite the imposing presence onto the outer loop and will certainly dominate the west side of the complex. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Mid South NC said:

I spent 4 days in Charlotte last week and 3 in Raleigh this week, and tbh both cities are booming. 

Here is a few pics I captured today from the West side and from downtown NH, looking West @North Hills Raleigh today. 

4E1C69BE-6819-4D74-A69B-A6485F6EB922.jpeg

EA12B2CC-DC11-48D0-B3F3-E23E1FB2A95B.jpeg

0D0BF0F8-F519-49E3-AD08-8A77B74346E9.jpeg

Navigating the North Hills area is a mess. and the whole layout up there is surreal.

Lol, tbh by that time North Hills will be even more dense then it is now, connected to other massive midtown developments all ready in motion, and I honestly have no dog in the fight because I absolutely love them both equally, and want the best for BRI as I do NH. 

"New additions are coming to Raleigh's North Hills. Kane Realty announced plans Monday for a $1 billion 33-acre development called the North Hills Innovation District (NHID). The project will include open green space with pedestrian bridges and room for outdoor working and dining"

https://abc11.com/amp/north-hills-raleigh-business-kane-realty-onnovation-district/10013738/

Not to mention the 40, 30, and 15 story buildings already approved by the city for the remaining surface lots and Lassiter mill SC. 

https://www.wral.com/north-hills-seeks-to-add-40-story-towers-to-its-own-skyline/19876350/?version=amp

This is all in addition to the existing towers, and the current construction that is already going on with the 3 towers cranes pictured here and the two tower cranes for the Cardinal Tower and tower 5 NHE. Lol so no offense, but density will be hard to compete with as this continues to evolve. 

I know John Kane, and he doesn't reveal any development without established iron (recession) proof financing and the primary tenant to carry specific towers, and expansion.

No worries, there's plenty to go around as Raleigh and Charlotte are both  on fire, and North Carolina is a sunbelt economic powerhouse with few equals. 

Edited by Mid South NC
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mid South NC said:

I know John Kane, and he doesn't reveal any development without established iron (recession) proof financing and the primary tenant to carry a specific towers, and expansion.

Which is why the recent announcement regarding Downtown South is so exciting. A 21-story residential tower and a 27-story office tower with construction starting next year. So you now Kane has already secured the financing and this project is moving forward.

I believe there's also about 12 separate projects in south Raleigh that have proposed towers of 18-stories or greater including Kane's son project near Dix Park which will have two 20-story towers. 

As of today, there's zero towers in south Raleigh so this area will transform much like South End in Charlotte--but without a light rail unfortunately.

Edited by carolina1792
  • Like 3