Queensbridge Collective - 1 tower, maybe 2

CarolinaDaydreamin

33 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

While others may disagree with me, I’d like to see this changed to all residential with some hotel portion.  There is a lot of space in SE to develop office space when demand picks up in the future.  Two towers filled with people 24 hours per day would augment the vitality of this already vibrant area.

Unless most of the residents have to drive, which  I imagine most people would need to very often in this location. It’s not a silver bullet to just have more residents. Increasing blue line frequency and bus service (maybe there should be high frequency urban circulator type service throughout SouthEnd as a supplemental to light rail) is really probably the most important factor in that. For example, most people without a vehicle go to the grocery store near daily or multiple times a week. Going to Publix or Harris Teeter from Queens Bridge could be literally an hour to/from. Start expanding that beyond just a grocery store and for every day needs or places beyond the immediate surrounding…

A healthy mix of uses are great and this development probably couldn’t do better itself to add vitality, foot traffic and vibrancy to the area. The office workers should provide a good addition of workers to patronize certain retailers during the day with residents & visitors at night. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 1:26 PM, SydneyCarton said:

While others may disagree with me, I’d like to see this changed to all residential with some hotel portion.  There is a lot of space in SE to develop office space when demand picks up in the future.  Two towers filled with people 24 hours per day would augment the vitality of this already vibrant area.

To make that pencil it would have to be an additional 600 units or a 1200-room hotel. 

Edited by CLT Development
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

LOL, yes a 6 figure salary will absolutely walk to Whole Foods several times a week, I know many that do, including myself. I shop there a few times a week and take groceries home to NoDa on the train. It's super easy and a great place to wait for the train. I also have grabbed a beer a few dozen times and watched people stream inside inside from the street vs the parking deck. It is an amenity that people are reaching on foot.

I “hearted” your post. I have a hard time imagining people walking from SouthEnd to WholeFoods for groceries in significant numbers (Ive walked several times from a friends house that lived in 550 Uptown to SouthEnd when we missed a train)and it wasn’t great nor much foot traffic any of the times). And it was cold. And dark. And seemed longer than it probably was. 

I liked your post because, it works for you. And I can appreciate your experience. I value access, getting to wherever I want, the freedom of mobility and I feel like there’s more freedom in car ownership in Charlotte. If I need to run to CVS, run to Target, drop something off at the post office, get Christmas stuff or check out new furniture, drop off my dog at doggy daycare, it just seems easier and have the options to go to the specific gym I like, the specific restaurant. I felt confined in Catalyst trying to not use a car.

It just doesn’t work for me nor enjoyable to rely nearly exclusively on transit in its current form in Charlotte. I think the answer is better transit than wishing Queens Bridge was all residential. 

Im also surprised how so few here live in Multifamily housing nor live in center city. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

10 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

If I need to run to CVS, run to Target, drop something off at the post office, get Christmas stuff or check out new furniture, drop off my dog at doggy daycare, it just seems easier and have the options to go to the specific gym I like, the specific restaurant.

A day like this would be impossible anywhere without a car, including when I lived in Brooklyn. Going to Target at Atlantic Terminal was a one day experience for me as was Trader Joes. 

The other day I had coffee at Sunflour and then walked to the museum, I encountered tons of foot traffic between there and uptown at the 10am hour. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

A day like this would be impossible anywhere without a car, including when I lived in Brooklyn.

Well I literally just did it so. I just left off Barnes & Noble & Macy’s… (Edit: and the weed store & Krispy Kreme, lol)

Im not really interested in talking about NY or elsewhere, tbh. I’m not interested in getting into discussions about elsewhere, I’m just strictly talking about Charlotte within context of Charlotte so. It’d be great if we could not drift bringing other places into the equation.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Well I literally just did it so. I just left off Barnes & Noble & Macy’s…

Im not really interested in talking about NY or elsewhere, tbh. I’m not interested in getting into discussions about elsewhere, I’m just strictly talking about Charlotte within context of Charlotte so. It’d be great if we could not drift bringing other places into the equation.

You proposed a scenario that you did in I'm guessing in DC... So you kind of asked for that out of Charlotte perspective.

Running errands without a car is certainly tough in Charlotte, but I do it pretty regularly, just in quick daily trips, just like I did in *CENSOR BAR* 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

You proposed a scenario that you did in I'm guessing in DC... So you kind of asked for that out of Charlotte perspective.

Running errands without a car is certainly tough in Charlotte, but I do it pretty regularly, just in quick daily trips, just like I did in *CENSOR BAR*

Those are the *same* places I went while I was in Charlotte…. The same habits… You don’t think other Charlotteans are going to B&N, Macy’s, Pottery Barn, pick up their kids, post office all in one swoop? 

I didn’t say “this cute little local book store in a charming row home and the cute little toy store beside it”. I said the post office. The doggy daycare. Macy’s. B&N. Krispy Kreme. I like Pottery Barn. The same stuff…. If the buses to SouthPark were more reliable, that starts to become possible. 

You’re still trying to drag other areas into it. It’s not necessary. We can leave NYC out of it and keep this focused on Charlotte unless it’s somehow relevant…. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I haven't tried to pull any area into anything. I simply stated that that scenario by anything other than automobile wasn't possible anywhere in the United States including NYC. 

And I said I literally just did it so I don’t know why you keep repeating its not possible anywhere? And I regularly make those type of errands. It wasn’t some special trip… it’s normal, regular stuff people need in Charlotte too. IKEA… really anything. Normal stuff… And it’s the same thing I did in Charlotte. Same places. And if the bus to SouthPark was Better, I’d do it again (I’ve tried it twice. Once From uptown. Once from I think Scaleybark. Time… consuming…)

DC is not the most urban city in the U.S., so I have a hard time believing NY, San Francisco, Chicago it’s not possible but somehow in DC it is…

IMG_2997.thumb.jpeg.8c8bd63aaa2eef8a325ebb883739345f.jpeg

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

And I said I just did it. And I regularly make those type of errands. It wasn’t some special trip… it’s normal, regular stuff people need in Charlotte too. IKEA… really anything. Normal stuff… 

DC is not the most urban city in the U.S., so I have a hard time believing NY, San Francisco, Chicago it’s not possible but somehow in DC it is…

IMG_2997.thumb.jpeg.8c8bd63aaa2eef8a325ebb883739345f.jpeg

You must have more than two arms, or weren't picking up very many things from each place. I've absolutely done some shopping sprees in other urban places, but the mixture of places you mentioned I'd never do on a single trip, as many are destination retail places. Adding quick transit to Midtown would do wonders for Charlotte, also messaging more effectively about the ease of bus transportation to Plaza Midwood via Central. With 100K sq feet retail coming to Commonwealth Plaza will be getting a wealth of new retail options. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

You must have more than two arms, or weren't picking up very many things from each place. I've absolutely done some shopping sprees in other urban places, but the mixture of places you mentioned I'd never do on a single trip, as many are destination retail places. Adding quick transit to Midtown would do wonders for Charlotte, also messaging more effectively about the ease of bus transportation to Plaza Midwood via Central. 

So you think I’m lying? Do you want a list?

From B&N it was a French to English visual dictionary.

From Macy’s, it was a hoodie, a little Kuerig coffee machine, and a queen size comforter that was vacuum sealed the size of a small briefcase. 

From the weed store, it was two packs of THC infused Ocean-Breeze Gummies.

The dog was dropped off at camp. I used that bookbag to carry smaller things. 

The post office was to drop off cards 

From Pottery Barn it was a picture frame as a gift and I accidentally bought myself something I have no idea what it is but it was cute and I want it for a new table.  

CVS it was wrapping paper which yes was a struggle with the tubes because I had 5 but it was across the street from my place and my last stop so I figured I could hobble. 

in 1 trip…

If I was getting more, I would have brought my little cart thing. Or just went later or the next day…

Edit: The Krispy Kreme was the small box of 3. Because the bigger box is too inconvenient. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

So you think I’m lying? Do you want a list?

From B&N it was a French to English visual dictionary.

From Macy’s, it was a hoodie, a little Kuerig coffee machine, and a queen size comforter that was vacuum sealed the size of a small briefcase. 

From the weed store, it was two packs of THC infused Ocean-Breeze Gummies.

The dog was dropped off at camp. I used that bookbag to carry smaller things. 

The post office was to drop off cards 

From Pottery Barn it was a picture frame as a gift and I accidentally bought myself something I have no idea what it is but it was cute and I want it for a new table.  

CVS it was wrapping paper which yes was a struggle with the tubes because I had 5 but it was across the street from my place and my last stop so I figured I could hobble. 

in 1 trip…

If I was getting more, I would have brought my little cart thing. Or just went later or the next day…

Edit: The Krispy Kreme was the small box of 3. Because the bigger box is too inconvenient. 

Not sure where I said I didn't believe you. Boy are you sensitive. I just said "I wouldn't do that in a day," and reading above I stand by that.  I brought a 100-pound plus prep center from Container Store home on the subway once, my body hurt for a week, you do what you gotta do when you live in an urban environment.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

Not sure where I said I didn't believe you. Boy are you sensitive. I brought a 100-pound plus prep center from Container Store home on the subway, you do what you gotta do when you live in an urban environment.

I’m not sensitive, I’m just responding to what you said to me. Sometimes I think You respond to my post with wrong information like the below & act surprised when I still dont agree

IMG_2859.thumb.jpeg.38b1f2cb300cdd07b4aa66859632c887.jpeg

In fact, I think I tried to be respectful and say it works for you. But you’re more interested in talking about NYC and the entire country. 

I also said I think this development is great the way it is and probably couldn’t do a better job. The office component provides business diversified business and revenue with the residents at night. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1