110 East: 23 story Tower by Stiles/Shorenstein

CLTProductions

• 2 weeks later...
Not really a trick question. Podium parking (I learned the term here on UP) changes the building design dramatically and for the worse. So much concrete, and attendant economic costs (lost rental space, environmental issues, etc). Encouragement of car culture and rejection of any other transportation option. Impossibility of conversion of podium to other purpose. 
Surface parking gives a uniform building appearance, more rented space, conversion of parking to development at later date. 
Someone must question the current thinking.

Lol I said trick question because neither is overall better than the other.

Yes, what you have said is true but supplying 1000 parking spots on the a surface lot… that is an immense amount of space. Space not available in south end clearly. So, the cost of land and willingness to sell versus the cost of building a podium which turns vertical space into usable space. It’s the inherent need to fill the car dependency with limited space. More rented space tends to = more parking anyways in a car dependent place. Yeah the blue line is there, but the line doesn’t traverse a majority let alone all of charlottes population. Therefore you can’t expect everyone to who works there to live along the line. So these developers do what they believe is most attractive. Convenient basically right at the door parking. Lots make walkability a nightmare. We all know walking through building lined streets is comparatively nicer than walking through a desert of parking lots. Parking structures could definitely be retrofitted at some point in the future I believe. What hasn’t been done does not mean it could never be done. That space could possibly be turned to usable space when the time comes that its space is needed. It’s really a cost and benefit analysis and where your categories have more weight. This will vary depending on access to land and funds. Not saying either one is better than the other objectively, but subject to desirable criteria of anyone’s choosing will output either as most favorable.

43 minutes ago, TheMightyBK said:

I’m not sure how you can postulate that it’s “bad”? There’s always a first for anything, and if the market appreciates the concept then you’ll likely see more carless development. The market may reject it, but I think that risk is the developer’s…which I would hope did its homework re viability. emoji1308.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a fair point for the fact that it's one developer and they're building those 1,700 units in what'll probably end up being ~10 phases, some of which will overlap.  The issue is that problems aren't generally identified until they exist at which point it's too late. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, RANYC said:

All these months, all that engineering, all that effort, all that money, and to have done nothing up to this point but a concrete carcass for stacking motor vehicles is somewhat insane.  Nothing screams American inefficiency and insecurity than this display of how we accommodate our very fractured, fragmented, disjointed way of getting round.  

I'm still smarting over driving past The Line with its podium prominence.

Can someone answer me this:  Can South End really be a "great" urban neighborhood, not just relative to a NC standard, but relative to a national or international standard, with these podiums?

I'll go a step further - is a building like this even a net positive for the neighborhood? It will primarily be used by people who will drive in presumably from all over the metro area 5 days a week (maybe? could only be 3 or 4). These people will occupy the building from roughly 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. Maybe they will walk to a nearby lunch spot. Then, they will drive home at the end of the day, and the building will be mostly empty on nights and weekends. Even during the day, the top levels of parking will probably be sparsely used, and the deck will be mostly empty after hours except maybe on Friday and Saturday. 

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, and I'd be interested in hearing a counterargument about how this type of building benefits its neighborhood.

• Like 4

Anytime the South has a chance to go tall, it does & marvels? I feel like NYC deserves the title. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re building more towers than all the south combined. 

I don’t think the south is building skyscrapers anymore than other regions or cities since 2010. Brooklyn, Manhattan, San Francisco, Seattle, Philadelphia, Honolulu, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, etc. say high. Just mentioning that because you can have high rise booms AND like. Want lower parking minimums, etc. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD