110 East: 23 story Tower by Stiles/Shorenstein

CLTProductions

On 3/15/2023 at 2:29 PM, go_vertical said:

I don't quite understand the "wrong neighborhood" comment.  This is a neighborhood that has sprouted up from vacant lots, abandoned warehouses, and old industrial buildings literally right before our eyes in only the last fifteen or so years. 

That's exactly it!  Those old warehouses and industrial buildings have a certain look and feel that gave South End its cool vibe and charm.  And new buildings like the Rail Yard and Lowes have at least tried to mimic that look and feel.  But this building screams profit over respect for the neighborhood and for maintaining its charm.  Watch this video and you'll see where I'm coming from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

...(we have received federal grant to do so)...

AFAIK the grant we received for this was back a decade ago and it upgraded 4 (ish) stations plus electric. I am not aware of any grants pending or received that would pay for the remainder of the upgrades.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, atlrvr said:

But......that assumes 100% of train occupants have 110 East as their destination, which as in-love-their-own-product as developers are, feels slightly optimistic.

Are light rail capacity calibrations needed in consideration of southern waistlines?  

• Haha 2

On 3/16/2023 at 12:11 AM, JeanClt said:

This building has an insane number of parking spot and a ridiculously high podium. I see why it looks off. I would have expected the podium, but…9 straight stories of parking…? What’s the ratio of sqft to parking in comparison to other buildings? Lol

Could the City of Charlotte not require that all parking be buried or would that kill the goose that lays the golden eggs?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, norm21499 said:

Building parking decks above ground is much cheaper than building them below ground. I thought this was common knowledge.

It is. Still the City of Charlotte should be pushing for the "right" things going forward, not the ones that ensure the maximum RoI for the developer but for the maximum RoI for the community for the long-term. Of course we won't but it's nice to believe one day we might.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1