110 East: 23 story Tower by Stiles/Shorenstein

CLTProductions

Building is so beautiful and first southend well minus the major garage. It’s very clean, and has that rustic feel to it, but I always wonder....when people build large decks like that, how often do people drive through the side of the deck. I just hate large decks by small buildings like that church. I always think of the worse. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

Agreed! My point is the vast majority of workers have to drive because our transit infrastructure is lacking and most value convenience behind the wheel. We’re not at a point where you can build a tower like this in a sub-market (south end) and expect office tenants to sign on without parking being a part of the lease. But I hear you and appreciate your efforts to cycle and utilize the light rail. We bought in optimist park specifically for that convenience and opportunity. 

Traffic is going to have to get a lot worse before people give transit a serious look. It's far too easy to drive in Charlotte. But reduced parking is a step in the right direction. I agree with whoever said its a generational effort. I'm mildly skeptical as to whether or not its truly achievable without allowing single family neighborhoods to be redeveloped.

Also, this building gets props for doing something unique, but not for its windowless facade with a lacking ground floor.

• Like 3

I'm with @kermit that it isn't the size of the deck, but more the position of where this building is that makes this so much worse for public transit. The East/South and West/Camden intersections are already a madhouse even before Lowe's is even open because of the synced traffic lights with the lightrail and the amount of pedestrians on Camden. The fact the entrance to the parking garage for this new build is on East Blvd is going to make this an absolute horror show for people getting in or out of both the Lowe's tower and this one. Your only 2 streets to get out of this area are South and East/West and you are going to have 2k+ additional vehicles in this 1 block area 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Agree, but this is tough to enforce / manage. It will drive up SE real estate for sure, which will also cause the middle class employees at this office to live further and further away in pursuit of housing they can afford or work for their families. People will go to crazy lengths to get their kids into the right school district, et. and unless this ends up being an Investment Bank or something, not many employees will end up in a Dilworth bungalow.  Trying to keep a person with 2 kids in an apartment in South End to be close to work or somebody with two big dogs in SE is like trying to keep 24 year old Red Ventures employees living in Indian Land  to be close to work rather than in South End for lifestyle reasons. A significant amount of Red Ventures employees are willing to drive in order to live where they prefer to live.

I do think it is interesting to consider if South End is an appropriate location at this point for such large office developments. Our light rail system still isn't very comprehensive and the infrastructure around South End isn't necessarily ready for the influx of commuters for buildings at this scale. Smaller boutique offices maybe, but thousands of employees could become quite a challenge. 

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who keep large dogs in small apartments.  That said, we have A LOT of vacant land along the rail corridors that can support A LOT more housing.  The questions I have are: can the private sector keep up with the demand for new residential construction (and able to build more to keep the demand in line with affordability); does the city's development ordinance make it clear what is required to make approvals more streamlined (what can be done to keep development costs low); and, how much work is completed on non-vehicular connections to light rail stations?  In the longer term, it would be very helpful to have a rail connection to CLT and interstate rail station uptown.  My biggest concern is that remains a balance in work/live/public space at the Southend stations (and other stations where office uses are beginning to bloom....).  The only possible exception to this last point might be where the station is adjacent to I-485 or I-85.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Phillydog said:

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who keep large dogs in small apartments.

I don't either, which is why many large dog owners move to other types of housing such as townhomes or SFH that isn't right on the rail line and end up becoming a car commuter to work with our very poor and underdeveloped bus system. I want us to be able to preserve the lifestyle in South End area as well, while recognizing that there are a grand total of 12 properties with 2 bedrooms or more listed below $500,000 that are within a mile of this office building. Any office use in South End is inevitably going to generate a significant amount of commuters at those prices. 

I also really agree with your assessment of the need for more housing in South End. The demand is clearly there. Too much of it is rental though and people in Charlotte still want ownership, especially as they move out of their 20's and some start to marry or start families. If you look at the demographics of millennials for example, it is still not traditional to past generations, but over half are now living in a household where they are married or have kids (including no spouse with child). There are not enough options for those that want to build equity by owning as they become more settled down (married or single) or options to raise kids in an urban family friendly environment (super complexes are not great family options). Only 9% of millennials live alone and 7% live with non-family roommates, but South End housing options are heavily targeted to that 16%. The options that are better for long term ownership, et. are priced sky high. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

This building looks like it will be slightly shorter than the Lowes Tech Tower.  Anyone able to check out the planned height via Accela\ Building Permits?

There isn't anything definitive filed with Accela yet, it hasn't gotten to that point. I would venture to say 10-20 feet shorter than Lowes, because Lowes has a rooftop deck, and a bit extra mechanical height.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...