Travel observations and new developments of other cities and countries

markhollin

On 10/11/2022 at 10:39 AM, colemangaines said:

A company called LIFTbuild is experimenting in Detroit with constructing a building from the top down. Floors are fabricated at ground level, then lifted up into place and fastened to the concrete core. They claim the cost savings in labor, productivity, and liability insurance make it up to 30% cheaper than traditional construction.

That's an interesting concept although I must admit I'm a bit confused about how it actually functions.  I wonder how well it would function if the building changed shapes like getting smaller towards the top or if it only works when it stays the same from top to bottom like it seems to be doing in that photo.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MontanaGuy said:

That's an interesting concept although I must admit I'm a bit confused about how it actually functions.  I wonder how well it would function if the building changed shapes like getting smaller towards the top or if it only works when it stays the same from top to bottom like it seems to be doing in that photo.

I would think the use case and design variability would be fairly limited. You can see that there doesn't see to be a lot of depth from the façade to the core face. As I can tell from a single picture, all slabs are cantilevered off the of the core with no columns at the perimeter so the floor depths you can achieve would be quite shallow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dmillsphoto said:

Found this quite the interesting stat, and wonder what the Nashville equivalent would be like...

Screenshot_20221024_145403.jpg

If it were done in downtown Nashville, there would be no parking requirement. But since we have no mass transit to speak of, they still build parking. At least it is below grade.

• Like 1