Harbor Heights Progress

vdogg

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New pics:

1. 1st pic, you can see the stone finish at the bottom of the building. I like.

2. Next, a side view, balconies shaping up.

3. 2rd pic, you can see the variety of finishes. Brick near bottom. I don't know how much more brick will be used.

4. 4, a view through the trees. Starting to look like a finished product.

5. A web-site kinda pic. Huge!

Downtown082.jpg

Downtown098.jpg

Downtown099.jpg

Downtown101.jpg

Downtown105.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Heh, people I know who work downtown say that Harbot Heights blocks a good portion of their view now.

The other day, I swear there was one of those "illegal" signs stuck in the median of Waterside Drive saying that some sales office was open for Harbor Heights on the 18th floor. I had to go to work to mess with the VOIP PBX on a Sunday, and I walked around the building and saw nothing indicating a sales office was open in the building. Anyone know what is up with this?

Oh man, I do love that building. It is so simple in design, but for some reason... I just really like it haha. When I was at MacArthur the other day, I was getting food up on the 3rd level and I got distracted looking out the window at the building, and the Burger King lady yelled at me ! (I am officially boycotting them henceforth because they were quite unpleasant... I understand that their job sucks [i've been there], but their service was atrocious even for fast-food!)

• 2 weeks later...
Oh man, I do love that building. It is so simple in design, but for some reason... I just really like it haha. When I was at MacArthur the other day, I was getting food up on the 3rd level and I got distracted looking out the window at the building, and the Burger King lady yelled at me ! (I am officially boycotting them henceforth because they were quite unpleasant... I understand that their job sucks [i've been there], but their service was atrocious even for fast-food!)

:lol: Ay, I know exactly what you mean about the Burger King on the 3rd level of MacArthur. They are always pissed for some reason. Aren't most of them foreign, Eastern European, I think.

Anyway, other people have told me the same thing before, about the testy attitudes. I ignore it mostly, because I'm usually thinking about the food mostly. Sometimes, it's just good to laugh, not in their faces of course, because I wouldn't want something disgusting in my food...but anyway, back to the subject at hand. :huh:

By the way, I think from the 3rd floor of the mall, the vantage point is so cool. It allows you to take in almost the full breadth of Harbor Heights, which I think has definitely filled a void in downtown Norfolk. I'm looking forward to that gourmet grocery store (Farm Fresh is it?) on the first level.

Architecturally, I think that the back is the weak link in the design, same as with the Cosmo in Town Center. It's as if they didn't care that most people would see the structure from the rear. Some of the same problem hurts the 150 Main design as well. Ah, CMSS...we love the new buildings, but when will you get it?

• 2 weeks later...

They added awnings to the first story windows of the GW Market, maroon with light beige stripes, the middle being solid maroon. Looks sharp. Landscaping is complete (it appears) on the front of the building. I don't think people will be moving in before Labor Day, which will miss their summer 07 occupancy, but not by much. Definitely in the home stretch though. Sold project all around.

They added awnings to the first story windows of the GW Market, maroon with light beige stripes, the middle being solid maroon. Looks sharp. Landscaping is complete (it appears) on the front of the building. I don't think people will be moving in before Labor Day, which will miss their summer 07 occupancy, but not by much. Definitely in the home stretch though. Sold project all around.

Hard to say where blame would lie here, but the design is what it is. Did the architect point out to the client that the rear face might look better with a little added color or detail? Did the Planning Department offer any suggestions? I was just pointing out what seems to be a common characteristic of several CMSS designs that doesn't reflect so favorably on them. Why? Because I'm an old carmudgeon who loves good design and someone has to say it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived