Harbor Heights Progress

vdogg

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I attended this morning and got to see the cruise terminal........VERY NICE!

Ron Dennis gave a good talk on The Market at Harbor Heights. The GW on 21st Street will be remodeled in like fashion and renamed The Market at Ghent. Will include a chef's station where you can get a meal with daily variety, but not to compete with Todd Yurich:). Will include Starbuck's with tables and umbrella's on Boush sidewalk, a flower shop opening onto Boush also, and a Wine Depot. Carolyn Shapiro of the Pilot was there so there may be an article in the paper. No grand opening date...just shooting for the fall at this point. May do some kind of event to mark opening to benefit CHKD.

here's that article:

Coffee, chefs, art all to be part of downtown Farm Fresh concept

The Market at Harbor Heights aims to give downtown residents a place to not only buy groceries but also take out chef-prepared meals, sit outside with a coffee, and even see an art exhibit.

Ron Dennis, president and chief operating officer of the Farm Fresh supermarket chain, shared tho se and other details during a breakfast briefing Wednesday for members of the Downtown Norfolk Council. Farm Fresh is building the store, set to open this fall, on the ground floor of a new condominium and office tower on Boush Street between Tazewell Street and College Place.

Is that a good idea to have it spill out onto the sidewalk on Boush st.? How big is that sidewalk and wouldn't the traffic on Boush make it a bit unpleasant?

I like the idea of a chef station, that will be very unique for the Hampton Roads market. Hopefully it's not a bunch of sandwiches.

Is that a good idea to have it spill out onto the sidewalk on Boush st.? How big is that sidewalk and wouldn't the traffic on Boush make it a bit unpleasant?

I like the idea of a chef station, that will be very unique for the Hampton Roads market. Hopefully it's not a bunch of sandwiches.

I am happy to inform you that the exterior going up on the building appears to be real brick, not precast panels. The brick is brown in color and appears to closely match the rendering. This is gonna be one nice looking building. :)

I am happy to inform you that the exterior going up on the building appears to be real brick, not precast panels. The brick is brown in color and appears to closely match the rendering. This is gonna be one nice looking building. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am not happy! Why is it that every good design in this area turns into crap in the last mile? <_< The thing was so ugly it nearly broke my camera. Needless to say I was wrong in my earlier enthusiam, the brick is only for the bottom portion. The test panel was indeed accurate. I give up. :rolleyes:

This design was sleek and modern:

original.jpg

Below is more of the same. It even uses the exact same color scheme as Trader. Can't we do something original for a change. I understand wanting to fit into the context of downtown but enough is enough. Be bold for once. 3 buildings with the same color scheme within a block of one another is more than a bit redundant.

528362870_524011ae61_b.jpg

528451651_3899216084_b.jpg

528363392_ab24a261c3_b.jpg

528363544_7e61a4f356_b.jpg

528452091_8a69e5c06b_b.jpg

528452219_35a5d4be4a_b.jpg

528452387_8c13aa7dd1_b.jpg

The final comments will be the same everyone had for Trader, Westin, and AH Tower when HH is done. Everyone will rave about how they love it. I'd rather save out-of-context architecture for a building a bit more substantial than HH.

Archived