Laurens Road Corridor

vicupstate

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Good. I didn't even know that neighboring Cookout was open until 3 and 4 am . Guess it's not bothering anyone.  

• Like 1

Speaking of the Laurens Road corridor, I was recently reminded of this story from 2019 where Greenville County was awarded a small grant to study fixed rail connecting Mauldin to downtown Greenville. Did anything ever come of this? Even if it just generated a .pdf on the County website I'd be curious to see it. Anyone know? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Approval of the 24 hour Whataburger on Laurens Road is now recommended. I imagine the lawsuit against the city will be dropped also if it is approved by the BZA:

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/article287213545.html

“The company’s new application will be considered at the April 11 Board of Zoning Appeals meeting.

The Zoning Commission staff report says the company addressed the concerns.

Whataburger submitted a map showing lighting levels, a general noise/sound map for their box speaker and promised a security guard would be on duty each night to address any nuisance and traffic issues.

In addition, the business will close the outermost drive-thru lane and cars would exit to Laurens Road instead of through the neighborhood. 

Whataburger has also agreed to build a landscaping buffer between the business and the neighborhood.

The Technical Advisory Committee has recommended the board approve the special exemption to allow 24- hour operations.

The committee said the zoning board should require the company to turn off dining room lights from midnight to 5 a.m., have a manager on site all hours, and asks for specific vegetation be planted: a row of Chinese Fringe Flower shrubs, eight Shumard or Nuttall Oak trees, a second row of dense, evergreen shrubs, such as Cypress, Juniper, Boxwood, or Burford Holly, interspersed between the planned trees, and a solid, 8-foot opaque fence.

A lawsuit Whataburger filed against the zoning board claiming the denial was arbitrary is still pending.“

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Yay now everyone gets to experience how crappy whataburger has become. 

Last time I went to one I couldn't even finish my sandwich. That never happens to me.

Pretty sure one isolated experience doesn’t mean a whole chain with hundreds of stores has gone bad, does it?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Pretty sure one isolated experience doesn’t mean a whole chain with hundreds of stores has gone bad, does it?

Last 3 times I've tried were trash. Quick generic google search shows my experience isn't isolated

https://www.google.com/search?q=whataburger+became+bad

Whataburger was purchased by a PE firm in 2019 who immediately prioritized broad expansion and cost cutting

Edited by NewlyUpstate