Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

You have definately been blazin away. :rofl:  I think wrldcoupe4 is gonna overtake both of us in a while though. He joined March 26th and already has 563 posts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's because he was typing to him self and no one else was typing with him so he got all the posts to him self but i see he has some buddies over there now.

Sheese, we may need to add a new server for all the new HR people we picked up this week :lol: . This place has just exploded since the Granby/Westin announcement. This means there are a lot more people interested in development in HR than i previously thought. It's nice to see people actually having some civic pride in this area for once. I honestly never thought i'd see the day.

Sheese, we may need to add a new server for all the new HR people we picked up this week :lol: . This place has just exploded since the Granby/Westin announcement. This means there are a lot more people interested in development in HR than i previously thought. It's nice to see people actually having some civic pride in this area for once. I honestly never thought i'd see the day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too thought I would never see the day that all of these people would like to see the development of this area. I hope there is alot more of them out there. For the longest time I thought that I was the only person who cared about this area being developed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I KNOW!!! Holy crap I have to check this site about 5 times a day just to keep up!! :lol:

It is amazing how many new people are visiting out site lately both locally and not so locally. Seems like we are creating quite a stir around. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This could be positive for the area. I hope that we will grow alot more than what we have over the last few years.

Go Virginia!

What is it that Norfolk has that most cities can only dream of? How about a Touch of Class! B)

From the Virginian Pilot.

virginiaschoonerbig.jpg

Floating ambassador gathers its gusts

The sleek 122-foot Virginia is a replica of a schooner that began service in 1917 and was cutting-edge for its time.

CHRIS TYREE/THE VIRGINIAN-PILOT.

By PAUL CLANCY, The Virginian-Pilot

Edited by Merrittk92

Well Norfolk will never be as large as Charlotte due to Norfolk being land locked. That being said if perhaps one day Norfolk were to merge with Portsmouth then all kinds of changes could happen though it might take some time. And Charlotte has annexed property a few times thus adding to its popuation.

I think we might have a major league team, but I don't think our downtown will surpass Charlotte's. Even if they stopped construction now, it would take at least 10 years I would say for us to catch up, if not more. Charlotte is undergoing a HUGE condo building spree. You think the Granby is big, well Charlotte has like 4 Granby + sized condo towers going up. I only wish we had that for Norfolk, but who knows, maybe soon!  :)  :rolleyes:  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No,no,no,no,no,no - i meant be the size of charlotte today in 10-15 years. not surpassing charlotte.

sorry, just some wishful thinking.

Isn't the HR metro area pop larger than Charlotte metro?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I believe so. That being said i think he's referring to our downtown being the size of Charlottes current downtown in 15 years. I think that this is very possible.

Well Norfolk will never be as large as Charlotte due to Norfolk being land locked. That being said if perhaps one day Norfolk were to merge with Portsmouth then all kinds of changes could happen though it might take some time. And Charlotte has annexed property a few times thus adding to its popuation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Norfolk's population will never be larger than Charlotte but the Hampton Road's metro and urban population is larger than Charlotte.

Metropolitan definitions: http://www.census.gov/population/es...-city/List1.txt

2004 county/city data: http://www.census.gov/popest/counti...EST2004-01.html

Counties and cities that make up the Hampton Roads

Yeah, I believe so.  That being said i think he's referring to our downtown being the size of Charlottes current downtown in 15 years. I think that this is very possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, You're right V.

But collectively(sp?) all of our downtowns togeather (norfolk, va beach, portsmouth, N. News) could give them a run for their money.

Thats why i think TC is a great addition for Va beach but not in the best intrest of HR. just imagine DT Norfolk with the AH building with the Westin coming soon with all of the proposed buildings already coming. that would be a sight! its too bad we wont see that.

Nothing we can do now, lets just keep building. :thumbsup:

Yeah, You're right V.

But collectively(sp?) all of our downtowns togeather (norfolk, va beach, portsmouth, N. News) could give them a run for their money.

Thats why i think TC is a great addition for Va beach but not in the best intrest of HR. just imagine DT Norfolk with the AH building with the Westin coming soon with all of the proposed buildings already coming. that would be a sight! its too bad we wont see that.

Nothing we can do now, lets just keep building.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I agree with your statement about TC. I've always thought the purpose of TC was to try and be better than Norfolk. Just because Va. Beach has more people it thinks it should run the region. There is a lot of hatred between cities, and it is not only Va. Beach, I know Norfolk has done some hating too. Ever since Va. Beach rejected the Light Rail, I've found it hard to forgive them. It could have done wonders at unifying us.

You've got to remember that VaBeach was formed due to the hating of Norfolk and its expanding and its never stopped. TC is a way Vabeach is trying to out do Norfolk. Nothing that we can do but let them build. Don't let Vabeach fool you and by saying that they are not in competition with Norfolk because they are lying. Especially since Trader announced their moving everyone to Norfolk.

That's actually very doubtful.  Norfolk has three factors working against them.  1. Charlotte's skyline already has 12 buildings over 100 meters, Norfolk has yet to have 1 (Grandby will be the first).  2. Charlotte's economy and population are in a boom... over a 10% increase in metro population in just four years... while the Hampton Roads grew at 4.3% in that time.  So while Norfolk picks up a couple of nice skyscrapers over the next couple of years Charlotte will too  3.  Because the Hampton Roads is made up of multiple cities there are multiple downtowns which deter from one centralized skyline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with that and I always thought the TC project was very stupid and always wished that we had one big skyline. The birth of the 7 cities was the death of a big DT.