Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

12 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

More of the pundits are beating the drum this week for a Florida-UCF matchup in the Fiesta or Peach Bowls.

The time is coming!

no thanks.  The Gators' underclassmen are too busy doing air guitar on national TV than paying attention to the plays being run.  I'd like to see what kind of air guitat that chucklehead (No.41 I think) would be playing if we played and lost to UCF.

• Haha 1

A Gators/UCF bowl game would be quite interesting in my wife's family.  At least 10 of her generation of cousins (several other schools, but none in Florida, so if they went to school in Florida they went to UCF) are UCF grads, 1 daughter of the next generation is currently attending UCF, and likely most of the current generation will join her because they live local .  Her father and at least 6 of her uncles/aunts (that I know of) are UF grads.  A multi-generational battle royale. 

All the older ones are hardcore Gator fans.  The younger ones at least show up in UCF gear.  It would be interesting to see what happens when it hits home for the older ones that UCF might be an actual competitor instead of a pity school your kids/grandkids went to.

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 1

Woohoo! Last Saturday's UCF vs. Cincinnati game was more popular in Cincy than THE Ohio State vs. Maryland game.

Those folks were stocking up on Kroger party platters (sadly, Publix hasn't yet arrived in Ohio to show them what a PLEASURE shopping can be) and settling in to watch our Knights dismember the Bearcats.

Charge On!

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/article221948705.html

From the Miami Herald

The CFP believes In Your Hometown National Champions with the Knights moving into the Top 10 at #9 - yep, another record!

That also makes them Florida's highest ranked team as UF comes in at #11.

Less than 72 hours until we find out if this year's War On I4 is a possible trap game for UCF.

Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058

More kids ages 6-12 now play flag football than tackle. Is the future of the sport changing? 

Even the NFL is investing in the change.

Hidebound ideas are once again being challenged in what may be the most traditional of American sports:

The Future of Football Has Flags  
https://nyti.ms/2zjvv0n?smid=nytcore-ios-share

From the New York Times

So it turns out the poor Bovines are worried there will be more UCF fans showing up for the War On I4 than their own folks (that's what happens when you blow 4 games in a row, guys...)

So, what to do? Start handing out free tickets!

Poor thangs...

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/20/south-florida-handing-out-free-tickets-to-rivalry-game-vs-no-11-ucf/amp/

From NBC Sports

Almost time for the War On I4 to start, but first we now know Your Hometown National Champions will be playing Memphis for the AAC championship.

The Knights struggled with the Tigers earlier this season, winning after a second half comeback by just one point.

Memphis has often struggled on the road this year and the championship game will be played at the Bounce House. Stay tuned...

A sad night for our Knights as KZ left the game with a severe leg injury. No word yet as to just how he may be affected and for how long. All of Knight Nation is thinking about #10 tonight and wish him a good recovery.

Thanks also to the Bulls for showing true class when KZ went down.

The  Knights went on and took care of business with Darriel Mack doing a fine job of stepping in for McKenzie.

The final score was 38-10 and the streak is now at 24.

Tonight, our Hometown National Champions did truly... Charge On!

Announced attendance was 57, 626. Given the stakes this week were relatively low (UCF had already secured the AAC East title and USF had won enough games already to qualify for a bowl,) it shows the American is well on its way to competing with most of the P5 not only on the field but also in the stands.

It can't be easy to be the 1st string quarterback of an FBS team. We often forget these guys aren't all that long out of high school, just barely grownups, and yet we expect them to show the poise of a Ronald Reagan or Barack Obama.

The pressure has to be incredible. Some manage to put up a great facade while some make you hold your Publix crab legs close at hand. Some, like Gator Danny Wuerffel, inspire you to be a better person.

But, in a lifetime of watching dozens of quarterbacks, by far the most real of all, is McKenzie Milton. He has always come across as having everyone's back and supporting a team that was going from 0-12 to National Champions in the blink of an eye. He always seems to be the face of the team without putting on airs.

Despite all the competition scurrying for a Heisman or trying to jump  to the NFL, no one seems to have a bad word about KZ.

I'm really glad his surgery seems to have gone well and hope that he can suit up again as quickly as his recovery will allow him. He's an amazing young man.

Charge On!

Family of UCF QB McKenzie Milton says leg surgery was successful
http://bit.ly/2RcerAr

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

The big question now is, what does "his surgery was successful" actually mean?

That he'll be able to return as starting QB next year?

Or that he'll be able to walk normally again and eventually even run, but never good enough to play football again?

Obviously the important thing is that he's able to live a normal life, but in terms of UCF football, I guess it all remains to be seen.

All the best to him either way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

The big question now is, what does "his surgery was successful" actually mean?

That he'll be able to return as starting QB next year?

Or that he'll be able to walk normally again and eventually even run, but never good enough to play football again?

Obviously the important thing is that he's able to live a normal life, but in terms of UCF football, I guess it all remains to be seen.

All the best to him either way.

Whether or not he gets to play again, he'd be a heckuva coach one day and we'd be lucky to have him come back. Assuming he wants to play again, I hope it happens.

UCF hoops improves to 5-1 by defeating Northern Kentucky 66-53 (where the heck is that?) Even if I've never heard of them, they must have been decent as they were 6-0 before tonight.

Looks like the CFE Arena lads are gonna keep up the winning ways even after Your Hometown National Champions are done for the year. 

Charge On!

Here we go - Your Hometown National Champions move up to #7 in this week's Coaches' Poll.

Since the Gators are at #10, UCF remains Florida's highest ranked team.

Charge On!

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/coaches-poll-week-14-top-25-georgia-football/amp

From Dawg Nation

Edited by spenser1058

In the AP rankings, Your Hometown National Champions are also #7. The Gators are at #11 so the Knights remain Florida's highest ranked team here as well.

Latest CFP rankings are Tuesday and the AAC Championship game against Memphis (again?) will be Saturday at the Bounce House and ABC.

Charge On!

http://amp.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article222116990.html

From Centre Daily