Hourglass District

sunshine

• 4 weeks later...

I know I’m the one who posted a paywalled link but if anyone can confirm the parcels this is being built on that would be great.   Doing a search for Hourglass South brings up the recently demoed auto shop on Bumby just south of the fenced off property with the “food truck stalls.”  I believe this was supposed to be parking in those renderings .

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

I know I’m the one who posted a paywalled link but if anyone can confirm the parcels this is being built on that would be great.   Doing a search for Hourglass South brings up the recently demoed auto shop on Bumby just south of the fenced off property with the “food truck stalls.”  I believe this was supposed to be parking in those renderings .

It is the SE corner of Curry Ford and Bumby. The 5 story portion takes up the auto shop, the "food truck stalls", the proposed parking lot you mentioned and the current F&D spot- who will move to another project by the same developer at 2635 Curry Ford. There is also a 3 story building on the other side of Jessamine, directly behind the brewery.

• Like 1

That’s a great looking addiction. Hope they are able to pull it off. 

This helps explain the delay in the redevelopment of the old car wash and auto shop.

Also excited to see them redeveloping  the property on Primrose and Curry Ford. For a while, it was a dog day care facility (the well named Dog Mahal) and then a church. It’s been sitting empty for a while now.

• Like 1

I've given the Hourglass group a lot of crap over the years (primarily for attempting to do placemaking when the city already had a moniker for the neighborhood), but this is a great addition if they can pull it off.  I love my Wadeview, but it definitely seems like we're getting the short end of the stick when it comes to urban (re)development versus our neighbors to the (north)east.

9 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I've given the Hourglass group a lot of crap over the years (primarily for attempting to do placemaking when the city already had a moniker for the neighborhood), but this is a great addition if they can pull it off.  I love my Wadeview, but it definitely seems like we're getting the short end of the stick when it comes to urban (re)development versus our neighbors to the (north)east.

How do you mean?  

On 9/19/2020 at 9:35 PM, Jernigan said:

How do you mean?  

If this goes forward, it will be a street-wall development.  Wadeview got the largely car-focused Lucky's plaza.  Lidos and a few other places closed and were replaced with a health facility.  Vet being replaced with a bank.  The infill plaza is just a giant 2 story SimonMed building.  We're adding "stuff", but nothing that I'm ever going to walk to or gives people a reason to come hang out in my hood rather than Ivanhoe, Mills, (or now) Curry Ford.

Basically we're the inner city commercial suburb that people run errands in, but don't stay or play.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

If this goes forward, it will be a street-wall development.  Wadeview got the largely car-focused Lucky's plaza.  Lidos and a few other places closed and were replaced with a health facility.  Vet being replaced with a bank.  The infill plaza is just a giant 2 story SimonMed building.  We're adding "stuff", but nothing that I'm ever going to walk to or gives people a reason to come hang out in my hood rather than Ivanhoe, Mills, (or now) Curry Ford.

Basically we're the inner city commercial suburb that people run errands in, but don't stay or play.

Is Lucky's Corner considered part of Wadeview?

I always thought of it as being from Kaley to Michigan in between Wadeview Park and Orange Ave. 

4 minutes ago, codypet said:

Hot Take.  Curry Ford West will eventually be rebranded to the Hourglass District after long negotiations with National, or they'll be some other name once Conway Publix or Winn Dixie end up redeveloped.  They won't stay named Curry Ford West.  Similar to how Downtown South became SODO.

CurFeW?

In any event, any ‘hood with a DQ AND a Krystal is Top Shelf in my book.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I always thought of it as being from Kaley to Michigan in between Wadeview Park and Orange Ave. 

Probably not officially, but I'd say within popular parlance the plaza with La Fiesta, Roque, Winn-Dixie are included in Hourglass, and since Lucky's was annexed into the southern border of SoDo that I can claim it (especially since they stole my Starbucks).

44 minutes ago, codypet said:

Hot Take.  Curry Ford West will eventually be rebranded to the Hourglass District after long negotiations with National, or they'll be some other name once Conway Publix or Winn Dixie end up redeveloped.  They won't stay named Curry Ford West.  Similar to how Downtown South became SODO.

I think that's actually a pretty cold take honestly.

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I don't consider anything on Orange to be Wadeview or Delaney Park. I consider it to be SoDo. 

The benefits to having two major thoroughfares with Orange and Michigan. And close proximity to Orlando Health. Hooray for more medical office. 

4 minutes ago, jack said:

I don't consider anything on Orange to be Wadeview or Delaney Park. I consider it to be SoDo. 

The benefits to having two major thoroughfares with Orange and Michigan. And close proximity to Orlando Health. Hooray for more medical office. 

“Ode to a multi-lane highway” - bring back the Edsel!

19 minutes ago, jack said:

I forgot about Delaney Ave.

That's probably a more realistic western border for Wadeview.

38 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Wait.  Is this going to wipe out F&D?

It will.  F&D will be relocated diagonal from Dollar Tree next to Applecore.  (The church building that they have the Christmas tree lot on).

It appears to wipe out the new parking lot for Hourglass brewing, the aforementioned F&D, the food truck stall/car wash, and the old Tony's Auto Repair.  (They've been clearing those lots like crazy the last month.)

As pointed out by people in my neighborhood, this does appear to fly in the face of the Curry Ford Study that was published in 2019.   Which is why I suspect they're looking at annexation.  The County apparently has a 3 story height limit.  I don't know what the City has.  (I would suspect 5 or 7 through here).

Quote from the study:

"The area will be rezoned to AC -1 but will not be able to realize the full development potential allowed as the area is surrounded by single family residential (County code restricts building height of buildings adjacent to residential uses). The area will have two - and three -story buildings with retail, office and maybe some mixed -use developments."

Edited by codypet

4 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I forgot about Delaney Ave.

That's probably a more realistic western border for Wadeview.

I live west of Delaney but east of Orange.  It is most definitely Wadeview.  You can make the argument that SoDo is the commercial area and Wadeview is the residential, but it's all semantic to some degree.

2 hours ago, codypet said:

Which is why I suspect they're looking at annexation. 

I'd bet sewer as well.

If South Eola can magically become Thornton Park, Conroy Rd east of Apopka-Vineland can be called Windermere and Goldenrod anointed Winter Park, it stands to reason Wadeview can squeeze over to Orange Ave. We’ve previously established real estate types have no shame when it comes to calling a ‘hood whatever they wish.