Hourglass District

sunshine

• 2 weeks later...

A new vendor in the Winn Dixie center, in the space that was the sub shop. If you ever went to OLV in SoDo, attended Nude Nite (and if you haven't, why not) or attended any of their pop-ups you may be familiar with the couple opening this restaurant. Uncommon Catering is one of the top 5 caterers in the area (so says Orlando Mag). Their FB post does not detail what they are doing, but rumor is they will be a lunch spot and use the back of the house as their cater kitchen.  

Since I lunch out often, I'm happy to see this.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/uncommoncatering/posts/?ref=page_internal

• Like 1

The West Curry Ford District continues to improve. I mentioned the Uncommon Catering spot opening in the WD shopping center, now we have Papa Llama announcing a restaurant in the same center. https://www.papallama.co/

From the Hourglass end with F&D, Claddagh, Le Ky and the brewery to the other end with Pizza Bruno and Fiesta, Roque and these new comers in between this is becoming quite the hot spot.

There are still some spots open in the WD center and 2 more spots in the old ABC which will hopefully attract things of interest (can I ask for a "Swirlery" type place) and another Orlando Meats outpost.

Now, if it were only more pedestrian friendly...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

The West Curry Ford District continues to improve. I mentioned the Uncommon Catering spot opening in the WD shopping center, now we have Papa Llama announcing a restaurant in the same center. https://www.papallama.co/

From the Hourglass end with F&D, Claddagh, Le Ky and the brewery to the other end with Pizza Bruno and Fiesta, Roque and these new comers in between this is becoming quite the hot spot.

There are still some spots open in the WD center and 2 more spots in the old ABC which will hopefully attract things of interest (can I ask for a "Swirlery" type place) and another Orlando Meats outpost.

Now, if it were only more pedestrian friendly...

But Winn-Dixie are THE BEEF PEOPLE (Jock Ewing said so!)

Although, I had to laugh at the guy who told me he's selling the house he listed last year for 140k (and it didn't sell) for 380k this year.  It's still not selling in this crazy market, but he insists "since this is the #1 trending market in Orlando, I'll probably get 450k for when the right buyers come along."  I think that's an Aughts Bubble Dream.  His house is tiny and not renovated.  I told him high numbers come from flipping, not the pre-flip house.

The house is right near F&D area.

38 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Although, I had to laugh at the guy who told me he's selling the house he listed last year for 140k (and it didn't sell) for 380k this year.  It's still not selling in this crazy market, but he insists "since this is the #1 trending market in Orlando, I'll probably get 450k for when the right buyers come along."  I think that's an Aughts Bubble Dream.  His house is tiny and not renovated.  I told him high numbers come from flipping, not the pre-flip house.

The house is right near F&D area.

4 years ago I told several young associates to buy in that area. I thought Colonial Town was already overpriced and SoDo was showing signs of the same. Recently a couple of those young folks told me it was the best advice they ever took :)

What do they say about broken clocks and their occasional accuracy.

12 minutes ago, codypet said:

I bought mine in 2015 in the Lake Como neighborhood for just under $290.  The hourglass may have been a plan on a piece of paper then, but seriously the Milk with Stasio's and Sideward north of me and the Hourglass just south of me, I'm glad I bought when I did.

And the TG Lee cow - don’t forget the cow!

1 hour ago, codypet said:

I bought mine in 2015 in the Lake Como neighborhood for just under $290.  The hourglass may have been a plan on a piece of paper then, but seriously the Milk with Stasio's and Sideward north of me and the Hourglass just south of me, I'm glad I bought when I did.

I bought my Hourglass house in 1999 for $66k cash.

Not sure what I could get for it now as it needs a few things.

Maybe twice what I paid, but I'm not planning on going anywhere, so it doesn't really matter all that much. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

More on the Hourglass car wash from Brendan at The Bungalower:

https://bungalower.com/2019/11/19/hourglass-car-wash-to-become-retail-hub/

Noted in the article, "a new restaurant concept by the same investor behind Armature Works in Tampa in the former 3,100 + SF hardware store building at the corner of South Bumby and Curry Ford. " Not sure what they have in mind- too small for a hall like Armature, too large for a neighborhood restaurant. I drove by last night and wondered where anyone visiting this site would park.

8 hours ago, Jernigan said:

I can’t tell if I’m impressed or not with National.   They really hit the ground running and now it’s just like “hey nice job on that strip mall”

I kinda agree, but I do think they deserve credit for the overall approach. Hourglass had nothing going for it before they came along. Milk district is getting a lot more investment since they did Robinson/ Bumby. They seem to be on track to save Colonial Lanes. The end products may be a little "meh", but by them jumping in I think they push others to join.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jernigan said:

I can’t tell if I’m impressed or not with National.   They really hit the ground running and now it’s just like “hey nice job on that strip mall”

Exactly why I'm scared for Colonial Lanes.  I wish it would get restored in its original form similar to how Beefy King was.  I'm afraid its gonna end up kitschy. 

2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

It's literally in the picture.  Just South of those locations.

Yes, I saw their parking what I meant was I'm not sure they have enough parking planned. I was basing it on all the cars I noted parked illegally when I drove by and assumed that any new venue would bring more cars. It was more an observation of how popular the area seems to be.

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2020 at 8:06 PM, JFW657 said:

They've re-paved and re-painted all the markings in the parking lot and entry/exit all around the former Walgreen's at Curry Ford and Peel.

Could mean something or not.

Saw a few comments on NextDoor that the former Walgreens will become a Dollar Tree... someone supposedly saw a permit on the door. :dontknow:

2 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Saw a few comments on NextDoor that the former Walgreens will become a Dollar Tree... someone supposedly saw a permit on the door. :dontknow:

That's what I've always been hoping it would become. I think I either contacted them or asked a store manager or something like that back when the Walgreen's first closed and I think I was told they weren't planning on it.

Seems like a good fit to me, though.